Question about Critter 1.6 & Gaviota gtb's

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

carldaman

Question about Critter 1.6 & Gaviota gtb's

Post by carldaman »

I've downloaded the gaviota tablebases and stored them into a folder on my hard drive, organized into 3-, 4-, and 5-men subfolders. The actual path to these subfolders is C:\gtb\gtb.cp4 and I specified this path within Critter's parameters, in the Gaviota tb path field.

My problem is that I see no evidence that Critter is actually using the tb's. The PV info doesn't display anything about tb hits, as it does with engines that use Nalimov. I've tried to set the usage to 'everywhere' and also to 'root only', but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl
IGarcia

Re: Question about Critter 1.6 & Gaviota gtb's

Post by IGarcia »

carldaman wrote:I've downloaded the gaviota tablebases and stored them into a folder on my hard drive, organized into 3-, 4-, and 5-men subfolders. The actual path to these subfolders is C:\gtb\gtb.cp4 and I specified this path within Critter's parameters, in the Gaviota tb path field.

My problem is that I see no evidence that Critter is actually using the tb's. The PV info doesn't display anything about tb hits, as it does with engines that use Nalimov. I've tried to set the usage to 'everywhere' and also to 'root only', but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks,
Carl
Do not seperate nothing. Just put all files into same folder example: c:\gtb
Then configure critter to use that folder

regards
Ignacio
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

IGarcia wrote:
carldaman wrote:I've downloaded the gaviota tablebases and stored them into a folder on my hard drive, organized into 3-, 4-, and 5-men subfolders. The actual path to these subfolders is C:\gtb\gtb.cp4 and I specified this path within Critter's parameters, in the Gaviota tb path field.

Thanks,
Carl
Do not seperate nothing. Just put all files into same folder example: c:\gtb
Then configure critter to use that folder

regards
Ignacio
Thank you, that worked!
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Sometimes a backslash at the end will get the tbs to work:

c:\gtb\
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re:A hint

Post by Sylwy »

Thanks,
Carl
Just put Critter 1.6(a) folder in the same directory with Gaviota TBs folder .For example:

-C:/gtb and C:/Critter 1.6a , or
-D:/gtb and D:/Critter 1.6a

This is enough. The engine is already configured to use Gaviota TBs if they are in the same directory !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:

NR: for Gaviota TBs : just put all downloaded files in a single folder : "gtb". This is , again , enough !
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

stronlgy recommended is using flash memory for GTBs and NalimovTBs (much faster access than HDD). 16GB USB-Stick for both (3-5 pieces) is cheap (today)...

Stefan
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

pohl4711 wrote:stronlgy recommended is using flash memory for GTBs and NalimovTBs (much faster access than HDD). 16GB USB-Stick for both (3-5 pieces) is cheap (today)...

Stefan
my 5,400 RPM drive is pretty quick.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

pohl4711 wrote:stronlgy recommended is using flash memory for GTBs and NalimovTBs (much faster access than HDD). 16GB USB-Stick for both (3-5 pieces) is cheap (today)...

Stefan
flash memory certainly lessens wear and tear on the HDD. But what about access time? Using flash memory requires USB (usb2 in most cases) access time as opposed to HDD access time.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Norm Pollock wrote:flash memory certainly lessens wear and tear on the HDD. But what about access time? Using flash memory requires USB (usb2 in most cases) access time as opposed to HDD access time.
I would be surprised if HDD seek time beats USB2 access time. For tablebase access, seek time is what counts.

Of course a real SSD would perform better than a USB stick.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

syzygy wrote: I would be surprised if HDD seek time beats USB2 access time. For tablebase access, seek time is what counts.
USB access is 20-100x faster than HDD-access. Because of that, all TBs are very, very slow on HDDs!
syzygy wrote: Of course a real SSD would perform better than a USB stick.
Not sure about that. A SSD is flash-memory, too.