Chess will take several years to be solved..................

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pichy

Chess will take several years to be solved..................

Post by pichy »

At the moment Computer playing White wins 54.5% of the time, which tell me that it will take several years for computer to solve chess where all the games will end in a draw as it is in Checker.

White score: 54.5%
Draws: 149'145 (37.2%)
Black wins: 107'788 (26.9%)
Edmund

Re: Chess will take several years to be solved..............

Post by Edmund »

pichy wrote:At the moment Computer playing White wins 54.5% of the time, which tell me that it will take several years for computer to solve chess where all the games will end in a draw as it is in Checker.

You should as well check statistics for increasing time control or increasing number of cores. The Drawratio but also! the the white score increases.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Edmund wrote:
pichy wrote:At the moment Computer playing White wins 54.5% of the time, which tell me that it will take several years for computer to solve chess where all the games will end in a draw as it is in Checker.

You should as well check statistics for increasing time control or increasing number of cores. The Drawratio but also! the the white score increases.
+1

Just i'd like to add that the book openings (which are deep in moves)
are changing dramatically fast,almost daily are appearing a lot of novelty and stronger moves

In other words,i don't think that the chess game will be solved in the next years (maybe after 100 years...but still we can not be sure 100 %)

Best,
Sedat
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Edmund wrote:

I have a database (343,789 games) of long time control, 2700+ (Old CCRL scale) Elo games where all opponents are within 50 Elo of each other. As expected, the draw rate is higher (42.3%). And, as Edmund noted, White score is higher (55.1%). There is a possibility that there is some relationship between the increase in White score and the openings used, but I have no proof either way at this time.
pichy

Post by pichy »

Adam Hair wrote:
Edmund wrote:

I have a database (343,789 games) of long time control, 2700+ (Old CCRL scale) Elo games where all opponents are within 50 Elo of each other. As expected, the draw rate is higher (42.3%). And, as Edmund noted, White score is higher (55.1%). There is a possibility that there is some relationship between the increase in White score and the openings used, but I have no proof either way at this time.

It could also be that the opening experts are only concentrating on finding great lines for the White side and not finding great lines to refute the White opening variations. :wink:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

That is just nonsense. It only tells you that white has an advantage that is not obviously decisive.

The quoted numbers were already valid in 1980, so they do not even show we have gotten any closer to solving Chess in those 30 years.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

pichy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Edmund wrote:

It could also be that the opening experts are only concentrating on finding great lines for the White side and not finding great lines to refute the White opening variations. :wink:
Hmm...

Generally yes...normally the overall statistics show that Whites have higher winning percentage than Blacks

And from my experience i can say that the Strongest Book Makers create superior strong lines for both sides (White and Black)

Note also that its depending on what kind of book we are talking

For example,even there are such very strong books,where the Black's winning percentage is higher than White

For more details about opening books's winning percentage:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25148
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=23715

Best,
Sedat
pichy

Post by pichy »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
pichy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Edmund wrote:

Hmm...

Generally yes...normally the overall statistics show that Whites have higher winning percentage than Blacks

And from my experience i can say that the Strongest Book Makers create superior strong lines for both sides (White and Black)

For example,even there are such very strong books,where the Black's winning percentage is higher than White

Best,
Sedat
I don't like to compare Top Human GMs to top Engines but the winning percentage of GM Calsen, GM Kramnik, and GM Aronian is not even more than 15 Percent more with the White Pieces than it is with the Black Pieces, which clearly tell me that most Opening Experts devote more time finding good lines for White when they are creating their Opening Books. :wink:
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

pichy wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:
pichy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Edmund wrote:

Hmm...

Best,
Sedat
I don't like to compare Top Human GMs to top Engines but the winning percentage of GM Calsen, GM Kramnik, and GM Aronian is not even more than 15 Percent more with the White Pieces than it is with the Black Pieces, which clearly tell me that most Opening Experts devote more time finding good lines for White when they are creating their Opening Books. :wink:
Just my 2 cents more over this issue

I think the Top GMs of 2700-2850 Elo's winning percentage is not too high due to their games are played mainly at slow time controls

And as far as noticed,the Top books winning percentage is higher than GMs,due to the Top books are played mainly at Blitz
For example,i expect the Top books winning percentage to be fall down,if we use a slow time control 40/120

But i don't agree that the Top Book Makers spend more time over good lines only for White
Note that a very well optimized deep book includes a lot of strong lines for Black too

In other words,a superior Top book's blitz winning percentage should be around:
75 % White
65 % Black

Best,
Sedat
Last edited by Sedat Canbaz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

pichy wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:
pichy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Edmund wrote:

Hmm...

Best,
Sedat
Maybe so. Except that my games come from the rating lists, where the books and starting positions that are used have been created in such a way to try to minimize bias. These are not competitive books.