How about we settle the WCCC argument?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: How about we settle the WCCC argument?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

gleperlier wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
So if 100 people enter Houdini and then Robert is the 101st you will refund the 100 entry fees and paypal costs?
In fact only one guy will be able to enter with Houdini. If Robert enter, Peter will have to refund only one guy 100$.

Gab
Not sure that is right maybe peter can clarify.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

gleperlier wrote:In fact only one guy will be able to enter with Houdini. If Robert enter, Peter will have to refund only one guy 100$.
Where did you get that? It is not what the quoted rule said.

And, as I argued above, it would be stupid for authors to enter, if it would mean they can only participate with a single copy.
Don

Post by Don »

gleperlier wrote:Cool Peter ! Discussion here made me think everyone can enter with Houdini.

@Don : Bad news for you hundreds of beta test versions :wink:

Gab
No, I can still enter as many Komodo's as I want by branching them into separate programs. Just so there is no misunderstanding each program would be DIFFERENT. I can let my friends be the authors, the ones that know enough about programming to make minor changes.

It wouldn't be fair to do otherwise, how would we know which Komodo derivative is really the best?
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
gleperlier wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
So if 100 people enter Houdini and then Robert is the 101st you will refund the 100 entry fees and paypal costs?
In fact only one guy will be able to enter with Houdini. If Robert enter, Peter will have to refund only one guy 100$.

Gab
That's not right.

If 50 people were to enter Houdini, and then Robert enters Houdini as the 51st registrant, the previous 50 will have to choose another program or will have their entry fee returned.

Same would happen to _any_ other program/author.

So the event would like to see as many original authors as possible play, so there is simply one of every program playing. If the author doesn't enter his/her program, there is nothing within the rules to stop 50 people entering with let's say Hiarcs.

This is _exactly_ what I summarized from all the WCCC/ICGA rants. People _want_ to see Houdini, Ivanhoe, Ippolit.. play in an organized tournament. At no point did I want or expect 50 Houdini's to play.

The rules were setup to implore original authors to compete. The reason why I'm entering Crafty is so no one else can. Being that I am a team member, and we enter just about every other event out there, I don't see Robert having an issue with it.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Don wrote:
gleperlier wrote:Cool Peter ! Discussion here made me think everyone can enter with Houdini.

@Don : Bad news for you hundreds of beta test versions :wink:

Gab
No, I can still enter as many Komodo's as I want by branching them into separate programs. Just so there is no misunderstanding each program would be DIFFERENT. I can let my friends be the authors, the ones that know enough about programming to make minor changes.

It wouldn't be fair to do otherwise, how would we know which Komodo derivative is really the best?
This is what people want to see Don....

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Peter Skinner wrote:
gerold wrote: The question is how many are going to be willing to pay $100 to enter.
You wouldn't believe the number of people using the contact form from the website asking if they can enter with this or that program and what books they are allowed to you.

Once person went so far to ask if he can use 5 different programs with 5 different books purely for testing.

As I have told everyone who has inquired, if they enter with program A and the author of program A enters after them, they will either have to chose a different program to play with, or I will refund their entry fee.

Peter
Maybe if the author of the program don't enter his program within a certain time frame others may enter that program without fear of being kicked out.
Don

Post by Don »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
gleperlier wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Gab
That's not right.

If 50 people were to enter Houdini, and then Robert enters Houdini as the 51st registrant, the previous 50 will have to choose another program or will have their entry fee returned.
But that's not what you said eariler. Are you changing the rules? Here is what you said,

Same rules basically from the CCT events, except _anyone_ can enter _any_ program.

Same would happen to _any_ other program/author.

So the event would like to see as many original authors as possible play, so there is simply one of every program playing. If the author doesn't enter his/her program, there is nothing within the rules to stop 50 people entering with let's say Hiarcs.

This is _exactly_ what I summarized from all the WCCC/ICGA rants. People _want_ to see Houdini, Ivanhoe, Ippolit.. play in an organized tournament. At no point did I want or expect 50 Houdini's to play.
But those program already have the same original authors. You are basically saying that if anyone adds anything to an existing program they get to be author.

There are people who have debugged Houdini and changes things - so presumably they can play too?

The rules were setup to implore original authors to compete. The reason why I'm entering Crafty is so no one else can. Being that I am a team member, and we enter just about every other event out there, I don't see Robert having an issue with it.

Peter
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Why would I, as an author, enter my program if already two others had entered it before me? It would reduce the chances of my program winning by 50%...
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

hgm wrote:Why would I, as an author, enter my program if already two others had entered it before me? It would reduce the chances of my program winning by 50%...
:wink:
Don

Post by Don »

hgm wrote:Why would I, as an author, enter my program if already two others had entered it before me? It would reduce the chances of my program winning by 50%...
I don't think Peter understands what you are saying. He just missed it and that's probably not what he meant. Based on what he actually said anyone can enter Komodo, perhaps 20 different people and only if I try to enter Komodo would they get kicked.

Don