Did the World championship mean anything to you?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Did the World championship mean anything to you?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Yes
52%
No
45%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 64

Graham Banks

Re: Did the World championship mean anything to you?

Post by Graham Banks »

S.Taylor wrote:I think that even _I_ would have realized that Qf6 was a mistake, in game 8.
Obviously, that doesn't mean i would have won or drawn vs Anand, but if Gelfand would only have seen his queen was being trapped, then everything else being the same, that would have been a draw and Gelfand would now be world champion.
This would have been world shattering! Then Gelfand would have gone on to make sure it stays that way!

Probably, Gelfand got a bit too excited, and lost his calm, which made him press for another win, and blunder.
If the result of game 8 had been different, then the results of the games to follow might also have been different. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Graham Banks wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I think that even _I_ would have realized that Qf6 was a mistake, in game 8.
Obviously, that doesn't mean i would have won or drawn vs Anand, but if Gelfand would only have seen his queen was being trapped, then everything else being the same, that would have been a draw and Gelfand would now be world champion.
This would have been world shattering! Then Gelfand would have gone on to make sure it stays that way!

Probably, Gelfand got a bit too excited, and lost his calm, which made him press for another win, and blunder.
If the result of game 8 had been different, then the results of the games to follow might also have been different. :wink:
May be!
I admit Anand is good at keeping cool.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

S.Taylor wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

May be!
I admit Anand is good at keeping cool.
[MODERATION]

People are complaining that this should be moved to CTF, as they did before. They are technically correct, but somehow, pure chess topics were always tolerated as long as they did not flood the forum. Same thing with shogi, etc. The WC was finished and there were more than enough threads floating around about it. Let's keep this thread open, and if there is anything related to the WC to talk about, do it in this thread or open a new one in CTF. Any new one here will be locked.

Miguel
Hood

Post by Hood »

If 8game why not 3rd game result to change :) ?

What happened that happened.
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Fischer had a psychological issues,he was not a coward....

I think that he will smash Karpov if the match did take place....
Dr.D
Let's not forget that Spassky & Karpov had a training match before he played Fischer and Spassky lost. I recall Karpov being asked about who won and he said,"well, let's just say i didn't lose."
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Hood

Post by Hood »

They were playing 2 games. It is not many.
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Hood wrote:They were playing 2 games. It is not many.
Where did you see they only played 2 games? I have heard it was a test match but never a mention of a number?
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
javimm

Post by javimm »

Not for me. I surely enjoyed Anand-Topalov much more than this one.
I really think that all those short draws, even if you consider them "great opening theory battles", are just that: short and boring games from the point of view of the average chess aficionado.
I don't mind draws, but if they are disputed ones. 20 something move draws... not.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Kingghidorah wrote:
Hood wrote:They were playing 2 games. It is not many.
Where did you see they only played 2 games? I have heard it was a test match but never a mention of a number?
I thought i heard it was a long match, but i can't remember exactly where i heard it.