Back to the 80's with UCI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mhalstern

Re: Back to the 80's with UCI

Post by mhalstern »

ED,

Thanks,

Is Rebel 9 available as a UCI. That was one of my favorites.
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

See what you get Ed, headaches for your kind love,heehee

just joking and drinking some beers

Dogbite 10%

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/63623

nothing close to what you Europeans drink. By the way I've lived in the States all my life and Europe and other countries have better cultures than here. They just I do not know how to say it, "class"
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:I wonder how u got the permission to offer the Glasgow roms for download :)
Oh boy....... it's from Nitsche and Henne, not ?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Rebel wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:I wonder how u got the permission to offer the Glasgow roms for download :)
Yes
just remember Ed

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Regards
Steve
:P
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Steve B wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Yes
just remember Ed

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Regards
Steve
:P
Don't think Nitsche and Henne care much but removed the Glasgow from the download. While browsing the Internet you will find the Superconny and MM2 as well, amazing what these germans guys have done.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Rebel wrote:
I thought you got the permission. Some already tried to contact Nitsche and Henne but failed and I was happy the roms for this jewel are now available.

I remember some talking about a copy of an eprom of a mephisto machine in a german chesscomputer forum. A guy from Saitek appeared and claimed that this is a violation of copyright. Since Saitek holds the copyrights of the Mephisto machines this guy could take legal action against you and also against sites who link to you. I know that it wouldn't hurt anyone and I don't care if you offer it for download.

Looks like I am now the bad guy again for claiming copyrights... Well I couldn't care less...
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Alexander Schmidt wrote: I remember some talking about a copy of an eprom of a mephisto machine in a german chesscomputer forum. A guy from Saitek appeared and claimed that this is a violation of copyright. Since Saitek holds the copyrights of the Mephisto machines this guy could take legal action against you and also against sites who link to you.
This German chesscomputer forum is certainly not the best source for any copyright issues with Mephisto ROMs.
The real source of all those Mephisto emulations is M.E.S.S (Multi Emulator Super System), and I'm viewing their forum since a long time.
The Glasgow emulation was even one of their first Mephisto programs at all, and one of the VIP members in their forum definitely said that they would have the explicit permisson of Saitek for many of the ROMs for which drivers and artworks are implemented in the current MESS version.
So the Glasgow ROM is certainly no problem at all.

BTW, there's even a site on the internet which contains in fact all ROMs for this MESS version, and that includes of course also all Mephisto ROMs (even Vancouver, London, Milano, etc. ...)
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

F.Huber wrote: and one of the VIP members in their forum definitely said that they would have the explicit permisson of Saitek for many of the ROMs for which drivers and artworks are implemented in the current MESS version.
I didn't find an official download of the glasgow roms. I think you mix up the copyright of the roms and the artworks. If they have the permission to offer roms, they offer it. Then you could provide us the official link for it. The developers always told the community that they have to copy the roms from their original eprom.

But if you think it is OK to publish the glasgow eproms, do it. Probably nobody will complain.
F.Huber wrote: BTW, there's even a site on the internet which contains in fact all ROMs for this MESS version, and that includes of course also all Mephisto ROMs (even Vancouver, London, Milano, etc. ...)
Yes, on the same site they offer also Rybka, Houdini, Shredder and so on. Are this now all freeware programs? :roll:
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Alexander Schmidt wrote: Yes, on the same site they offer also Rybka, Houdini, Shredder and so on. Are this now all freeware programs? :roll:
I was talking about ROMs for the MESS system, not about any chess software.

And if you want to find the site that I mean, then just google for "mess bios" - it's already the 1st hit.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Thx, danke, but aber this is not something a casual user can handle. I simply want to use these engines with unlimited speed in my PC. Also, I want to know if options like ponder, show thinking, harm their performance or even cause crashes, or not. The offered UCI engine options are not documented.

Sorry, I cannot spend hundreds of hours to figure that out myself...

Anyway, thanks! :mrgreen: to all who care to provide this nostalgic opportunity for free. I think we are a superiour community and maybe we should rule the world (although, the difficulties doing this should not be underestimated).
Regards, Mike