Anand......

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Anand - Gelfand game 12

Post by syzygy »

Jack Lad wrote:
Guenther wrote:Such a comment after 6 moves is completely useless. And I must add
that pretty all your comments for the whole WCC were simply based on
dumb engine short time shootouts without any chess insight by yourself.
Sorry to disappoint you but this is a computer chess forum - if you want insight then watch the live feed or another forum.
But it just makes no sense to say the game is "already equal" and "probably drawn" on the basis of an engine that after 6 moves shows a score around 0.0.

You could instead have written "[name-of-engine] evaluates this postion as equal". Just report the facts unless you are really able to add something to it e.g. based on a profound understanding of the game.
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

syzygy wrote:But it just makes no sense to say the game is "already equal" and "probably drawn" on the basis of an engine that after 6 moves shows a score around 0.0.

You could instead have written "[name-of-engine] evaluates this postion as equal". Just report the facts unless you are really able to add something to it e.g. based on a profound understanding of the game.
I would have thought that it was pretty obvious to all and sundry that I was just giving my subjective opinion based upon the 0.00 evaluation given by Houdini Aquarium at the live feed sight.
http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/live?g=20120528

No one nor any engine can state for an absolute fact as to whether or not such a position is objectively drawn or not. Even if it could be proved that the position is drawn with perfect play from both sides it would not be of much value since the players are only human and therefore do not play perfectly.
Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet Princess, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Well, the point being made should be clear by now.
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Re: Anand......

Post by Engin »

blablabla.... wait if Anand win the WM match, then you are talking about that ANAND IS THE GREATEST PLAYER ON EARTH, man... everytime the same people LOL
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet Princess, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
Uri

Re: Anand......

Post by Uri »

Engin wrote:wait if Anand win the WM match, then you are talking about that ANAND IS THE GREATEST PLAYER ON EARTH, man... everytime the same people LOL
Nah I think Kasparov and Fischer (Bobby Fischer) were probably the best chess players on Earth.
Jack Lad

Post by Jack Lad »

http://www.youtube.com/user/MatoJelic

For some more insight into game 12 and the match. 8-)
pichy

Re: Anand was better player but he is getting Old...........

Post by pichy »

Uri wrote:
Engin wrote:wait if Anand win the WM match, then you are talking about that ANAND IS THE GREATEST PLAYER ON EARTH, man... everytime the same people LOL
Nah I think Kasparov and Fischer (Bobby Fischer) were probably the best chess players on Earth.
http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/live?g=20120530
pichy

Re: Anand + Anand + Anand ( lets talk about GM Gelfand )

Post by pichy »

fern wrote:I know Anand, I have talked with Anand, I played a fast game with Anand -draw-, I like Anand but.,....a hell with Anand now. You are almost using all real state here. Bothered regards Fern
Most people when they see two GMs with an Elo difference of 70+ immediately think that the player with the higher rating will destroy the other, without even thinking that GM Anand was simply playing like Anand while GM Boris Gelfand was playing magnificant and probably up to a level even higher than GM Anand for this match with the exception of a minor blunder. You will see that this match after being analyzed intensenly with computer engines will be clasified as one of the best Championship match ever with fewer errors. GM Boris Gelfand was at his best form ever, and if you would have taken an engine an set it up to play like a 2790, GM Boris Gelfand in the 12 games match would have destroyed the engine. :wink:

PS: For instance if you would have taken Gaviota 0.85 which was rated 2799 before the reduction and played it versus GM Gelfand for the 12 match games, I would have bet on GM Gelfand :wink:
shiv

Re: Anand + Anand + Anand ( lets talk about GM Gelfand )

Post by shiv »

pichy wrote:
fern wrote:I know Anand, I have talked with Anand, I played a fast game with Anand -draw-, I like Anand but.,....a hell with Anand now. You are almost using all real state here. Bothered regards Fern
Most people when they see two GMs with an Elo difference of 70+ immediately think that the player with the higher rating will destroy the other, without even thinking that GM Anand was simply playing like Anand while GM Boris Gelfand was playing magnificant and probably up to a level even higher than GM Anand for this match with the exception of a minor blunder. You will see that this match after being analyzed intensenly with computer engines will be clasified as one of the best Championship match ever with fewer errors. GM Boris Gelfand was at his best form ever, and if you would have taken an engine an set it up to play like a 2790, GM Boris Gelfand in the 12 games match would have destroyed the engine. :wink:

PS: For instance if you would have taken Gaviota 0.85 which was rated 2799 before the reduction and played it versus GM Gelfand for the 12 match games, I would have bet on GM Gelfand :wink:
I agree with your first point. I felt Anand was below his usual form but mentally downplayed Gelfand's excellent play. Still Anand throwing away his whites in games 1 and 5 did not help. Perhaps Anand could have played more combatively as black, though Gelfand may have been well prepared if Anand did that.

Wont even enter the dangerous waters of man vs machine again :)