The secret of Houdini

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Strelkaman

Re: The secret of Houdini

Post by Strelkaman »

Graham Banks wrote:
Strelkaman wrote:Thats why the processor is overheating faster when Houdini is running.
You should try Zappa Mexico II. Never noticed your overheating problem with Houdini, but certainly did with Zappa!
Graham when i say overheating i mean heating too much than in other engines.This is not a technical issue of my computer system just saying that Houdini "eat" Processor resources.

Let me simplify my thinking.its like a pacman game.You have houdini vs X engine.Houdini eats the white balls(processor resources) faster than the X engine.This is a battle in another territory and not in a chess.Its a processor resources battle.the more you dig to the processor the better engine you have?
Strelka is the best engine in the world!!
Don

Post by Don »

Houdini wrote:
Tennison wrote:To avoid this problem when testing, I think it's simple : just test with same depth and not with a time control.

I just try a fast test on 100 games at 8 Ply depth for each engine ...
Testing different engines using fixed depth is meaningless. Depth 8 for Houdini is not the same as depth 8 for Stockfish is not the same as depth 8 for Rybka.
The only meaningful test condition is identical time control.
Stockfish is unusually weak and fast at the same depth compared to most other top 10 or 20 programs, so going purely by depth would make Stockfish look very weak.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: The secret of Polichinelle

Post by Sylwy »

Hello our very dear Mr. Dimitri Yasenko

Well , today you enlightened a lot of Houdini aficionados.
Thank you !
Would be extremely interesting to tell us something about the strength of the warrior Ivanhoe. What could it eat from my computer or from the computer of my friend Georges , for example ?

Again , thank you !

SilvianR :wink:

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Strelkaman wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Strelkaman wrote:Thats why the processor is overheating faster when Houdini is running.
You should try Zappa Mexico II. Never noticed your overheating problem with Houdini, but certainly did with Zappa!
Graham when i say overheating i mean heating too much than in other engines.This is not a technical issue of my computer system just saying that Houdini "eat" Processor resources.........
Yes - I took it to mean that the cpu temp went higher once that particular engine was thinking.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Strelkaman

Post by Strelkaman »

Sylwy wrote:Hello our very dear Mr. Dimitri Yasenko

Well , today you enlightened a lot of Houdini aficionados.
Thank you !
Would be extremely interesting to tell us something about the strength of the warrior Ivanhoe. What could it eat from my computer or from the computer of my friend Georges , for example ?

Again , thank you !

SilvianR :wink:

Do you want to try something? Set an engine match between the latest Ivanhoe version and Houdini 2.0C on 64-bit.With any parameters you want.Start the match go to your task manager screen,right click ivanhoe and set it to high priority.See the results yourself,and we 'll talk about them later
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Strelkaman wrote:Set an engine match between the latest Ivanhoe version and Houdini 2.0C on 64-bit.With any parameters you want.Start the match go to your task manager screen,right click ivanhoe and set it to high priority.See the results yourself,and we 'll talk about them later
With ponder off that did not make the slightest difference. As expected.

Why do you expect the process priority to have any effect when there are no other processes running?
Strelkaman

Post by Strelkaman »

hgm wrote:
Strelkaman wrote:Set an engine match between the latest Ivanhoe version and Houdini 2.0C on 64-bit.With any parameters you want.Start the match go to your task manager screen,right click ivanhoe and set it to high priority.See the results yourself,and we 'll talk about them later
With ponder off that did not make the slightest difference. As expected.

Why do you expect the process priority to have any effect when there are no other processes running?
No there are 3 processes running.1)The Arena interface(if you use Arena of course) 2)The houdini process 3)The Ivanhoe process.

Set Ivanhoe process to high priority,because in my theory Houdini process is already set to high priority,interventing to the GUI.You see normal,but it is in high.Houdini has an internal app running inside the chess engine that stucks to the CPU processor.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Strelkaman wrote:No there are 3 processes running.1)The Arena interface(if you use Arena of course) 2)The houdini process 3)The Ivanhoe process.
Of course not. When Ivanhoe is running, the Arena process and Houdini process are not. They are waiting for input, and there is nothing to do for them until that input arrives (when Ivanhoe finally makes its move).

If you look in the task manager, in the Processes tab, you will see that the GUI and Houdini threads drop to 0% CPU when Ivanhoe is thinking.
Tennison

Post by Tennison »

1. I don't say it's the case with Houdini but it's very easy to hide something to the task manager ... For example : the viruses ... They don't appear in task manager but are still running.

2. A know example of Process Thief is Ivanhoe 58 ...

Try it with ponder off and you'll see it freeze the other engine and it is always running !

Maybe Houdini can do like Ivanhoe 58 but more slightly (without completely freezing the other engine but just slow down a little) and maybe Houdini can also have an hidden process running ...

3. @Robert Houdart

You said 8ply for Houdini is not 8ply for Critter. Can you explain ?
Because for me it seems the same ...

If I test 7 ply / 8 ply (the 8 win nearly everything), and if I test 8 ply / 7 ply (the 8 win nearly everything) so the only comparable is with the same ply ...
Strelkaman

Post by Strelkaman »

Tennison wrote:1. I don't say it's the case with Houdini but it's very easy to hide something to the task manager ... For example : the viruses ... They don't appear in task manager but are still running.

2. A know example of Process Thief is Ivanhoe 58 ...

Try it with ponder off and you'll see it freeze the other engine and it is always running !

Maybe Houdini can do like Ivanhoe 58 but more slightly (without completely freezing the other engine but just slow down a little) and maybe Houdini can also have an hidden process running ...

3. @Robert Houdart

You said 8ply for Houdini is not 8ply for Critter. Can you explain ?
Because for me it seems the same ...

If I test 7 ply / 8 ply (the 8 win nearly everything), and if I test 8 ply / 7 ply (the 8 win nearly everything) so the only comparable is with the same ply ...

Well said Ben.I was talking about an internal app that is running by Houdini when the main chess engine is running too.An internal app that completely "eats" cpu resources or freeze the other engine too.Process thieves.I like the term :D