Did Anand miss a win in Game 3?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stevenaaus

Re: Did Anand miss a win in Game 3?

Post by stevenaaus »

The question if Anand missed a win in the third game is a somewhat dubious question. Because human chess isnt about "objective" certainties as long as it cannot be practically played especially in zeitnot
I agree. Anal analysis like this is meaningful to engines only.
The world championship will be decided by people, and
Rook and pawn endgames are very boring anyway.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

stevenaaus wrote:
The question if Anand missed a win in the third game is a somewhat dubious question. Because human chess isnt about "objective" certainties as long as it cannot be practically played especially in zeitnot
Steven! :shock:
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

stevenaaus wrote:
Rook and pawn endgames are boring? I think they can be fascinating - sometimes, but it depends on their complexity, of course. Not that I am any great expert on them which I ain't, but ... anyways... :)
David S.
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

Rook endings are the hardest to play. Smyslov and Averbakh would disagree that these endings are boring. Anand did not see the winning move because he did not want to take a RISK. What if he missed something, and it could cost him a point. Anand chose the safe route, that is, a draw instead of taking a RISK to win a full point.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

LaurenceChen wrote: Anand did not see the winning move because he did not want to take a RISK. What if he missed something, and it could cost him a point. Anand chose the safe route, that is, a draw instead of taking a RISK to win a full point.
And creating (foreseeing) such moments, that is the psychology of Gelfand. He could play for the "easy" draw with Nb6 and Rd5 but he gave Anand a chance to blunder. This is human chess. No computer is able to figure this out yet. So, we are not coming into danger of death by draws in chess (what Giddins fears) but we play chess more like poker with seducing the alleged favorite to overestimate his chances and to take more risks and to lose in the end in time trouble!
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Jack Lad

Did Anand miss a win in Game 5?

Post by Jack Lad »

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5
[d] r1bqkb1r/5ppp/p1np1n2/1p2p1B1/4P3/N1N5/PPP2PPP/R2QKB1R w KQkq b6 0 9
If Anand had played Bxf6 here than he could have avoided the drawish opposite coloured bishops ending.

9. Bxf6 gxf6 10. Nd5 f5 11. Bd3 Be6 12. O-O Rc8 13. c3 Bg7 14. Qh5 h6 15. Nc2 Qg5 16. Qxg5 hxg5 17. f3 fxe4 18. fxe4 f5 19. a4 fxe4 20. Bxe4 Rh4 21. Bf5 Bxf5 22. Rxf5 Ne7 23. Nxe7 Kxe7 24. axb5 axb5 25. Rxg5 Bf6 26. Rg3 Ke6 27. Nb4 Rch8 28. h3 Re4 29. Rd1 Re2 30. Nd5 Be7 31. b4 Rh6 32. Nc7+ Kd7 33. Nxb5 Kc6 34. Na7+ Kd7 35. Rg7 Rb2 36. Nb5 Rc2 37. Ra1 Rh8 38. Ra6 Rh6 39. Nc7 Kxc7 40. Rxe7+ Kb8 41. Rb6+ Kc8 42. Rc6+ Kb8 43. b5 Rc1+ 44. Kh2 Rc2 45. Rg7 e4 46. b6 Rh8 47. Rxd6 Rxc3 48. Re6 Rb3 49. Rxe4 1-0
[d] 1k5r/6R1/1P6/8/4R3/1r5P/6PK/8 b - - 0 49
Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet Princess, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Rolf wrote:
LaurenceChen wrote: Anand did not see the winning move because he did not want to take a RISK. What if he missed something, and it could cost him a point. Anand chose the safe route, that is, a draw instead of taking a RISK to win a full point.
And creating (foreseeing) such moments, that is the psychology of Gelfand. He could play for the "easy" draw with Nb6 and Rd5 but he gave Anand a chance to blunder. This is human chess. No computer is able to figure this out yet. So, we are not coming into danger of death by draws in chess (what Giddins fears) but we play chess more like poker with seducing the alleged favorite to overestimate his chances and to take more risks and to lose in the end in time trouble!
+1 I agree
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."