Anand vs. Gelfand WCC 2012 started

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rbarreira

Re: Anand vs. Gelfand WCC 2012 started

Post by rbarreira »

S.Taylor wrote:
shiv wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
rbarreira wrote:What?

Kramnik was commentating that Anand has pressure on Black and a time advantage, and right there and then Anand offers the draw, which Gelfand of course accepts.

Just as I decided to start watching...
It's a draw....I've had a similar position against Bright a couple of days ago and I was playing with black and got the half point :wink:

I'll upload the games when I can....
Dr.D
Maybe its a draw objectively speaking (if black plays well) but no harm in white playing on for say 10 more moves to see if Gelfand is accurate given his severe time shortage. Disappointing..

I feel that Anand should have used this chance to test Gelfand psychologically.
So Anand is to be blamed for not being unethical and childish?
Why is it unethical to use time pressure? Gelfand decided to use a lot of time on his early moves and there's nothing wrong with making him pay the price for that decision. Any decision you make in chess has a value and a price...
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

rbarreira wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
shiv wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Kramnik was commentating that Anand has pressure on Black and a time advantage, and right there and then Anand offers the draw, which Gelfand of course accepts.

It's a draw....I've had a similar position against Bright a couple of days ago and I was playing with black and got the half point :wink:

Dr.D
Maybe its a draw objectively speaking (if black plays well) but no harm in white playing on for say 10 more moves to see if Gelfand is accurate given his severe time shortage. Disappointing..

Why is it unethical to use time pressure? Gelfand decided to use a lot of time on his early moves and there's nothing wrong with making him pay the price for that decision. Any decision you make in chess has a value and a price...
If you count the exchange simplification moves plus some rook maneuvering plus the skill of a ~2800 player it was easy to reach time control. This, for sure, is "priced in" by Anand before offering a draw. In press conference, Anand admitted its possible to create trouble if you have some more pieces in the board. So was pointless for VA (not unethical).

As an excercise you can setup the final board position against a top engine. Give yourself 2 hours and a 15 minutes to the engine, play and see if you can manage to complicate things. That is what a GM says "Black (or white) had easy play" or "is comfortable", etc..
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

IGarcia wrote:
rbarreira wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
shiv wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D

If you count the exchange simplification moves plus some rook maneuvering plus the skill of a ~2800 player it was easy to reach time control. This, for sure, is "priced in" by Anand before offering a draw. In press conference, Anand admitted its possible to create trouble if you have some more pieces in the board. So was pointless for VA (not unethical).

As an excercise you can setup the final board position against a top engine. Give yourself 2 hours and a 15 minutes to the engine, play and see if you can manage to complicate things. That is what a GM says "Black (or white) had easy play" or "is comfortable", etc..
This is not the correct exercise.

I do not see the point of a game between me and a stronger engine.

If you want to simulate the situation then it is better to check if houdini with white and time advantage can beat other engines when they get less time on the clock.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Not Sure I understand physical? I meant Kasparov vs Karpov :)
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Uri Blass wrote:
IGarcia wrote: ...
This is not the correct exercise.

I do not see the point of a game between me and a stronger engine.

If you want to simulate the situation then it is better to check if houdini with white and time advantage can beat other engines when they get less time on the clock.

You are right. but also making the inverse engine setup for each game, and increasing clocks after move 40 and other time controls, as in the match.

Im not doing it because I trust the #4 and #20 ranked players.
Strelkaman

Post by Strelkaman »

The true message of this WCC2012 is that Houdini must install Lemonosov 7-tablebases.In depth 24 Houdini pointed Rf5 as best move for Gelfand in rapid game 2 but Lemonosov pointed Bh1.Of course Gelfand played Rf5 and lost.Bad engines my friend :)
Strelka is the best engine in the world!!
shiv

Post by shiv »

rbarreira wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
shiv wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Dr.D

Ethical considerations come into play if Gelfand is sick for example. If that is not the case, its fine to play on in that position. I agree that one should try playing/analysing the position against a human or android to see if the winning chances are small or realistic.
Hood

Post by Hood »

I have had impression that Anand was feeling bad for long time during the match.
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.