Anand vs. Gelfand WCC 2012 started

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Anand vs. Gelfand WCC 2012 started

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:CTF has never been used or meant to be used as "Chess Only" forum.

CCC has always been the place to discuss WCC. After 15 years, changing it is absurd in the extreme.
Chess Thinkers Forum
A place for chess players to speak about what interests them: chess or otherwise.

Not that I care about a WCC thread in CCC. Doesn't happen that often.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:CTF has never been used or meant to be used as "Chess Only" forum.

CCC has always been the place to discuss WCC. After 15 years, changing it is absurd in the extreme.
Chess Thinkers Forum
A place for chess players to speak about what interests them: chess or otherwise.

Not that I care about a WCC thread in CCC. Doesn't happen that often.
That was said, and it had no bearing on my response. It still has no bearing as reality is different.
Terry McCracken
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Of course this is the very place to talk about any major chess event in CCC. The world championship is what would be considered a major event in chess. Every game played is infused with hundreds if not thousands of hours of computer chess engine analysis in developing the opening strategy, and to think that computer chess has no place in human games is incredibly silly. Computer chess is all about the improvement of human chess ... and what better platform to see that happening than the human world chess championship? I can't imagine one person who is interested in computer chess that is not also interested in a human world chess championship.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Seems to me Gelfand has mostly outplayed Anand. I hope he can convert that into winning the champs.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

M ANSARI wrote:Of course this is the very place to talk about any major chess event in CCC. The world championship is what would be considered a major event in chess. Every game played is infused with hundreds if not thousands of hours of computer chess engine analysis in developing the opening strategy, and to think that computer chess has no place in human games is incredibly silly. Computer chess is all about the improvement of human chess ... and what better platform to see that happening than the human world chess championship? I can't imagine one person who is interested in computer chess that is not also interested in a human world chess championship.
Totally agree Majd. I have no idea why it was moved to CTF yesterday and then was sent back.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Of course this is the very place to talk about any major chess event in CCC. The world championship is what would be considered a major event in chess. Every game played is infused with hundreds if not thousands of hours of computer chess engine analysis in developing the opening strategy, and to think that computer chess has no place in human games is incredibly silly. Computer chess is all about the improvement of human chess ... and what better platform to see that happening than the human world chess championship? I can't imagine one person who is interested in computer chess that is not also interested in a human world chess championship.
Totally agree Majd. I have no idea why it was moved to CTF yesterday and then was sent back.
Same here :shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Leto

Post by Leto »

stevenaaus wrote:Seems to me Gelfand has mostly outplayed Anand. I hope he can convert that into winning the champs.
I agree, Gelfand has had the edge out of the opening in most of the games.
tano-urayoan

Anand vs. Gelfand WCC 2012 started

Post by tano-urayoan »

Game 10
Anand vs Gelfand
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 e6 4. Bxc6 bxc6 5. b3 e5 6. Nxe5 Qe7 7. Bb2 d6 8. Nc4 d5 9. Ne3 d4 10. Nc4 Qxe4+ 11. Qe2 Qxe2+ 12. Kxe2 Be6 13. d3 Nf6 14. Nbd2 O-O-O 15. Rhe1 Be7 16. Kf1 Rhe8 17. Ba3 Nd5 18. Ne4 Nb4 19. Re2 Bxc4 20. bxc4 f5 21. Bxb4 cxb4 22. Nd2 Bd6 23. Rxe8 Rxe8 24. Nb3 c5 25. a3 1/2-1/2

Final Position

[d]2k1r3/p5pp/3b4/2p2p2/1pPp4/PN1P4/2P2PPP/R4K2 b - - 0 25

Nothing much to talk about this game.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tano-urayoan wrote:Game 10
Anand vs Gelfand
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 e6 4. Bxc6 bxc6 5. b3 e5 6. Nxe5 Qe7 7. Bb2 d6 8. Nc4 d5 9. Ne3 d4 10. Nc4 Qxe4+ 11. Qe2 Qxe2+ 12. Kxe2 Be6 13. d3 Nf6 14. Nbd2 O-O-O 15. Rhe1 Be7 16. Kf1 Rhe8 17. Ba3 Nd5 18. Ne4 Nb4 19. Re2 Bxc4 20. bxc4 f5 21. Bxb4 cxb4 22. Nd2 Bd6 23. Rxe8 Rxe8 24. Nb3 c5 25. a3 1/2-1/2

Final Position

[d]2k1r3/p5pp/3b4/2p2p2/1pPp4/PN1P4/2P2PPP/R4K2 b - - 0 25

Nothing much to talk about this game.
A classic GM short game of chess with a draw outcome :roll:

Gelfand must press for a win in the last two games....

If the tie breaks kicks off,he'll most probably go home without the title he's fighting for....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Anand seems to be amazingly timid in his games. It is almost as if he is overriding his instincts and playing inferior moves that have little tactical danger. Why on earth he is doing that is beyond me, as he is one of the strongest tactical players on earth, and complications can only work to his advantage. Having said that, Gelfand really seems to have prepared incredibly well against Anand and that seems to have leveled the playing field.