Hello all

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

DaveKitt

Hello all

Post by DaveKitt »

Hello everyone. I was directed to this site last week by an old friend, Max H. I saw there was some confusion as to whether a poster was 'the Dave Kittinger'. Well, I am the Dave Kittinger who was quite active in computer chess over a decade ago and had various engines which ran on Novag products as well as PC versions from the original MyChess on HeathKit computers to Wchess, various ChessMaster versions, Sierra's Power Chess, USCF Chess program etc. Some were decent for their time.

I had discovered Stockfish over 1 year ago and realized just how far the field had advanced. It would take weeks and maybe months for the old WChess program to find tactics which Stockfish could find in a minute or less. Very impressive.

It was very nice to see some old names such as Robert Hyatt, Don Dailey, Larry Kaufman and others I'm sure.

I have not been active in the chess wars for almost 2 decades, so really don't have much to add to this forum. Just wanted to say hello. I'm impressed that the field still has a number of enthusiastic developers and followers. It was an incredibly fun and exciting time back in the day when we were just onthe cusp of getting computers to play strong enough to beat good human players.

Regards, Dave Kittinger
Graham Banks

Re: Hello all

Post by Graham Banks »

Welcome to the forum Dave and thanks for the incredible enjoyment your programs have provided for many of us over the years. I remember my Super Constellation and Super Forte C with fond memories.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

DaveKitt wrote: I have not been active in the chess wars for almost 2 decades, so really don't have much to add to this forum. Just wanted to say hello. I'm impressed that the field still has a number of enthusiastic developers and followers. It was an incredibly fun and exciting time back in the day when we were just onthe cusp of getting computers to play strong enough to beat good human players.

Regards, Dave Kittinger

With due respect, Dave, let me slightly disagree. Perhaps you could give us some of the main reasons for your leaving? Lack of incentives? Work for a living? Politics or old aging? When I saw your name mentioned by some bros, I thought at first, oh my God, if he could combine some Rybka with his chess, how far could he surpass Don or say Bob. Just kidding regards.
:)
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: A BIG THANK YOU , MAESTRO !

Post by Sylwy »

For every nice chess engine enjoying me !

Regards,

SilvianR :wink:
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

DaveKitt wrote: I have not been active in the chess wars for almost 2 decades, so really don't have much to add to this forum.
Hello M. Kittinger, and welcome to our cuckoo clock! :) There are actually a lot of things you could do! Are you familiar with Hercules' five labors? Here are they:
- add a UCI front-end to your PC programs, so the testers among us (Graham, Adam or Olivier for instance), would be happy to add them to their tournaments and charts. Also that would be a delight for all the collectors.
- Ed Schröder (still active today with his free PC engine Pro Deo!), encapsulated his dedicated computers programs into emulators with UCI front-ends and released them to, again, testers' and collectors' delight. Maybe you could do the same with your Novag engines? I'm sure Ed would be pleased to share his black magic with you.
- Maybe you would catch the virus again, just by reading the programming sub forum, and start a new, modernized engine? :)
- Gerd Isenberg would certainly be very happy if you had some nice anecdotes and memories to help him fill some rare blanks in the chess programming wiki: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/
- Our poor Fernando can't find the sleep in his old days because he still doesn't know if you are for something with ChessMaster 3000's engine. Maybe you could help him recover some peace of mind? http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43441

It's an honor to have you here, thank you! :)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

JuLieN wrote: Hello M. Kittinger, and welcome to our cuckoo clock! :) There are actually a lot of things you could do!
Not to forget one other thing that would really be nice:
Turning your old (but still great and famous) DOS chessprogram WChess into a freeware program! 8-)
(or at least give your permission to share it within our chess community)
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Hi Dave and Welcome

i own every dedicated computer you have ever programmed for Novag including the Robot Adversary as well as the Three touch sensory Savants with your MYCHESS and MYCHESS II engines
Sadly there are no fully working Savants today as the chemicals used to depict the pieces have all gone dry by now
still..the processor does still work in some and the touch screen still registers moves ..so if hooked up to the Novag Printer a game can still be played although the display will not show the board
you can see all of your Novag computers here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922171918/

the Robot Adversary is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922174592/

Savant Royale Regards
Steve
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

DaveKitt wrote:Hello everyone. I was directed to this site last week by an old friend, Max H. I saw there was some confusion as to whether a poster was 'the Dave Kittinger'. Well, I am the Dave Kittinger who was quite active in computer chess over a decade ago and had various engines which ran on Novag products as well as PC versions from the original MyChess on HeathKit computers to Wchess, various ChessMaster versions, Sierra's Power Chess, USCF Chess program etc. Some were decent for their time.

I had discovered Stockfish over 1 year ago and realized just how far the field had advanced. It would take weeks and maybe months for the old WChess program to find tactics which Stockfish could find in a minute or less. Very impressive.

It was very nice to see some old names such as Robert Hyatt, Don Dailey, Larry Kaufman and others I'm sure.

I have not been active in the chess wars for almost 2 decades, so really don't have much to add to this forum. Just wanted to say hello. I'm impressed that the field still has a number of enthusiastic developers and followers. It was an incredibly fun and exciting time back in the day when we were just onthe cusp of getting computers to play strong enough to beat good human players.

Regards, Dave Kittinger

Welcome to the forum! We are all glad you decided to drop in. W-chess was an amazing engine, and with the sexy voice of the "Power Chess" queen, it was not so bad to lose a few games to her. :wink:

Thank-you for your efforts and countless hours our amusement that your fine engine provided.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Dave
Thanks for the interview you gave me in 2009.
Many computer chess enthusiasts on various forums said that they enjoyed what you had to say after all these years.
Unfortunately Novag have now ceased trading after their MD Jeannine Curran (Auge) sold the company a couple of years ago.
Regards from England.
Bryan Whitby
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
fern

Post by fern »

Well, at last some of my boring insistence gave fruits. And we have you here in full, not as K. but as Kittinger.
As many here, I have enjoyed a lot every one of your programs. I include Majestic, which In played last week and of course took my shit out of me.
Hope you will re-assume this field as Ed and some other has done after a period of absence.
WChess is a floppy disk still in my power, somewhere in the cellar, but not useful because his installs were exhausted.
Well,....

a hug
Fern