Dorky Chess again...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Dorky Chess again...

Post by fern »

After a while playing old DOS relics -though enough good, some of them,. to defeat me the same- I have revisited current engines and between those, Dorky 4.3 for 32 bits.
In the charts, Dorky appears more or less in the middle of the list, a strong but not leading engine, with around 2550-2600 Elo -which in any case means it is LOT stronger that everybody here. What makes Dorky impressive in my experienced is his inclination to daring attacks.
I have enjoyed a lot this engine, which remember me TAL but stronger and more solid.
I advice to play it. You will get a mauling but lot of fun.

Fern
arenati

Re: Dorky Chess again...

Post by arenati »

It seems you really like this engine Dorky, Mr. Villegas. This must be the 10th thread you open about it :) You have convinced me, I'll give it a try :)
fern

Post by fern »

Well, Alfonso, you know how this is. There are hundreds of engines that play almost the same kind of very strong game, so when you meet one that do something even slightly different, you get caught.

I hope you enjoy it as i do

Fern
mmcknight

Post by mmcknight »

Fern, thanks again for the nice comments! It makes me really happy to hear them. One of my goals with Dorky was attacking chess, so I am proud to think I may have achieved that.
fern

Post by fern »

well, you got it. Maybe to improve your engine you should take a look at CSTAL I and/ or II, which play in that way. Chris Wittington is a man that you can meet somewhere and talk with him about his ideas. If I do not recall bad, one of his ideas is not necessarily to play the best move of a list, but the one that has the bigger collection of possible bad answers. That is, a tricky, deceiving move. If there is a powerful move that check but then, for the same reason, compel to play a good one, he would prefer not to check and see something else capable of tempting the other guy to play a really bad move.
Waiting Dorky 5.0 regards
Fern