Installing M-Chess Pro 8 into D-Fend

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Installing M-Chess Pro 8 into D-Fend

Post by Amstaff »

Hello I have installed a number of my old DOS chess programs into D-Fend successfully, but I'm not sure how to get the install.bat for MCP8 started under D-Fend from the installation CD.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Robert Flesher

Re: Installing M-Chess Pro 8 into D-Fend

Post by Robert Flesher »

Amstaff wrote:Hello I have installed a number of my old DOS chess programs into D-Fend successfully, but I'm not sure how to get the install.bat for MCP8 started under D-Fend from the installation CD.
Thanks in advance,
Gerald

Before installing in D-fend. Insert M-chess CD into your cdrom. Get to a command prompt and type

Install D: C:
I am assuming your cdrom is labelled as D, if not replace with whatever.

This will install M-chess and all its required files (excluding the tablebases).

I hope this helps.
Amstaff

Post by Amstaff »

Thanks Robert for you good advice. I was able to install MCP 8 and D-Fend can open it. But now the programs asks to insert the disc into Drive D (which is E on my computer. . Mchess always did that even on my old DOS pentium computers) , as a copy protection. Do you know how to get D-Fend to recognize the CD in place to get the copy protection acknowledged.
Thanks again,
Gerald
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Amstaff wrote:Hello I have installed a number of my old DOS chess programs into D-Fend successfully, but I'm not sure how to get the install.bat for MCP8 started under D-Fend from the installation CD.
Thanks in advance,
Gerald
I have started programs that would utilize a BAT file and just used the wizard in D-fend and used the BAT file to start the program with and went from there. I think using the substitute command will not fool MChess copy pro, hence your problem now.

O, I believe you only have 2 more installs left for MChess. That was the sucky (Aspergerian vocab) part of MChess, 3 installs and ur done.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
fern

Post by fern »

There is an option top load a program directly from his disk or any other media. use it.

D-Fern
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Kingghidorah wrote: O, I believe you only have 2 more installs left for MChess. That was the sucky (Aspergerian vocab) part of MChess, 3 installs and ur done.
I guess you're confusing this with older MChess versions (on floppy disks) - with an installation CD it's impossible to restrict the number of installations.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Amstaff wrote:Thanks Robert for you good advice. I was able to install MCP 8 and D-Fend can open it. But now the programs asks to insert the disc into Drive D (which is E on my computer. . Mchess always did that even on my old DOS pentium computers) , as a copy protection. Do you know how to get D-Fend to recognize the CD in place to get the copy protection acknowledged.
Thanks again,
Gerald

You need to mount your cdrom in Dosbox or D-fend. Then you should have no problems. I am guessing M-chess is opening, then checking for the CDROM. When it cannot find the file because the CDROM is not mounted, it shuts down immediately. I hope this helps. Good luck
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

F.Huber wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote: O, I believe you only have 2 more installs left for MChess. That was the sucky (Aspergerian vocab) part of MChess, 3 installs and ur done.
I guess you're confusing this with older MChess versions (on floppy disks) - with an installation CD it's impossible to restrict the number of installations.
O yeah, ur right, this is a CD installation. I am so ised to MChess on floppies it went by me.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Where can you buy MChess Pro 8 now? Anyone?
En passant,

Lonnie

Harvey Fierstein
jm_thompson

Post by jm_thompson »

Thanks to this thread I've discovered D-Fend! Very useful to have a GUI for DOSBox, makes using it simpler.