Help with Rex Chess DOS version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kingghidorah

Help with Rex Chess DOS version

Post by Kingghidorah »

How do u input moves? Also how do you switch colors,seems to only want to move as white??
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
F.Huber

Re: Help with Rex Chess DOS version

Post by F.Huber »

Kingghidorah wrote:How do u input moves?
Only with the cursor keys.
Also how do you switch colors,seems to only want to move as white??
No, if you start with white (with the cursor keys), Rex plays black.
And if you want to switch the sides then press Alt-P (Play Move).
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

F.Huber wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:How do u input moves?
Only with the cursor keys.
Also how do you switch colors,seems to only want to move as white??
No, if you start with white (with the cursor keys), Rex plays black.
And if you want to switch the sides then press Alt-P (Play Move).
Thanks Franz
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Don

Post by Don »

Kingghidorah wrote:How do u input moves? Also how do you switch colors,seems to only want to move as white??
You have to type in the move, e2e4 style.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Don

Post by Don »

Kingghidorah wrote:How do u input moves? Also how do you switch colors,seems to only want to move as white??
P.S.

Did you pay for Rexchess? :-)

I never offered Rexchess for free. But you can relax, I have no problem with it being distributed for free at this late date :-)

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Don wrote:
P.S.

I never offered Rexchess for free. But you can relax, I have no problem with it being distributed for free at this late date :-)

Don
No I did not pay, I thought it was free?? http://j.mp/IJZJqw

sorry
En passant,

Lonnie

Harvey Fierstein
Don

Post by Don »

Kingghidorah wrote:
Don wrote:
P.S.

Don
No I did not pay, I thought it was free?? http://j.mp/IJZJqw

sorry
Like I said, I never gave it away or offered it to anyone for free nor did I make it available to anyone else for free distribution.

But I really do not have a problem with it. The program is over 20 years old and it's of historical interest and I am happy that people can still enjoy it. I would not think of requesting money for it either - so please feel free to enjoy it with my approval. Larry also was involved in Rexchess and I'm sure he feels the same way.

I noticed that there have been over 3 million downloads! Now if I had 1 dollar for every copy downloaded .... :-)
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Nothing to do ?

Post by Sylwy »

Don wrote: I never offered Rexchess for free.
Don
Well , sometimes God shows us a nice way. For example this DOS campus:

http://www.top-5000.nl/cp.htm

Don , I'm redy to pay for some old DOS and old chess programs missing to me ( I have already one of the great collection in the world ) but nobody offers these jewels. Even the authors. I remember my offer to Mr. Richard Lang for his Mephisto Genius 99. Incredible - but Richard hasn't his own program !!!!!
I think here is a great niche commerce for computer chess, but nobody hears ! Some DOS are superb ! Thake a look to Socrates ( :lol:) , MChess , WChess and my sweetheart Tjes !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Don wrote: You have to type in the move, e2e4 style.
Well Don, it seems you don't even remember your own program. :wink:
typing in the move doesn't work, it works only with the cursor keys.

BTW, your original Rex doesn't run on faster CPU since many many years, it must be patched for working (modifying the routine where it checks the computer speed for Elo calculation) - I've done this with my version already ages ago.

And yes, I did buy it from a chess distributor in Vienna, and this was my first program where the original floppy disk was infected with a bootsector virus (Pakistani brain).
Don

Post by Don »

F.Huber wrote:
Don wrote: You have to type in the move, e2e4 style.
Well Don, it seems you don't even remember your own program. :wink:
typing in the move doesn't work, it works only with the cursor keys.

BTW, your original Rex doesn't run on faster CPU since many many years, it must be patched for working (modifying the routine where it checks the computer speed for Elo calculation) - I've done this with my version already ages ago.

And yes, I did buy it from a chess distributor in Vienna, and this was my first program where the original floppy disk was infected with a bootsector virus (Pakistani brain).
Did you check to see if you could type the move in? Try it, even though it will not echo back to you I think it will work. I could be wrong, it's been many years ....

The time test is something I posted about 10 years or more about - and probably alerted someone who was good enough to make the patch! Someone actually sent me the patch site but I lost it. Do you know where I can get a patched version or at least the patch itself?

This was back in the day where nobody could imagine computers getting as fast as they are today. I think Larry and I actually discussed the possibility and concluded that it would not be a problem for many years, well past the useful life of Rexchess. Of course we had not anticipated that over 20 years later people would still be interested in using Rexchess.