Help with Rex Chess DOS version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

F.Huber

Re: Help with Rex Chess DOS version

Post by F.Huber »

Don wrote: Did you check to see if you could type the move in? Try it, even though it will not echo back to you I think it will work. I could be wrong, it's been many years ....
Aaah, you're really right, the problem is that you don't get any feedback of the typed coordinates AND you have to press the Enter key, too!
Interesting, even after so many years I've now learned something new about Rex. :)
The time test is something I posted about 10 years or more about - and probably alerted someone who was good enough to make the patch! Someone actually sent me the patch site but I lost it. Do you know where I can get a patched version or at least the patch itself?
Well, I did publish my self-patched version a few years ago here in the forum, after Ed has created his freeware page. Since he also had Rex on his site (but his version is unpatched and not working), I though it would be no problem to publish my patch.

You want this patch? No problem, I've just uploaded it here for you:
http://www.spaadyshare.net/633arta2njri/Rex23x.zip
This was back in the day where nobody could imagine computers getting as fast as they are today. I think Larry and I actually discussed the possibility and concluded that it would not be a problem for many years, well past the useful life of Rexchess. Of course we had not anticipated that over 20 years later people would still be interested in using Rexchess.
Yes, IIRC Rex was still running on my old 486/33MHz, but it started crashing when I got my next generation, a K6/200MHz.
Don

Post by Don »

Maybe we can get Ed to add an already patched version of Rexchess to his site?

Ed?
F.Huber wrote:
Don wrote: Did you check to see if you could type the move in? Try it, even though it will not echo back to you I think it will work. I could be wrong, it's been many years ....
Aaah, you're really right, the problem is that you don't get any feedback of the typed coordinates AND you have to press the Enter key, too!
Interesting, even after so many years I've now learned something new about Rex. :)
The time test is something I posted about 10 years or more about - and probably alerted someone who was good enough to make the patch! Someone actually sent me the patch site but I lost it. Do you know where I can get a patched version or at least the patch itself?
Well, I did publish my self-patched version a few years ago here in the forum, after Ed has created his freeware page. Since he also had Rex on his site (but his version is unpatched and not working), I though it would be no problem to publish my patch.

This was back in the day where nobody could imagine computers getting as fast as they are today. I think Larry and I actually discussed the possibility and concluded that it would not be a problem for many years, well past the useful life of Rexchess. Of course we had not anticipated that over 20 years later people would still be interested in using Rexchess.
Yes, IIRC Rex was still running on my old 486/33MHz, but it started crashing when I got my next generation, a K6/200MHz.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Don wrote:Maybe we can get Ed to add an already patched version of Rexchess to his site?

Ed?
Sure, no problem. I have Socrates also, permission granted?
Don

Post by Don »

Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:Maybe we can get Ed to add an already patched version of Rexchess to his site?

Ed?
Socrates is one I don't have the rights to, but as far as I'm concerned it's ok. The company that produced it is out of business and it's not of any commercial value so I would really be surprised if it were an issue.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Don wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Ed?
Socrates is one I don't have the rights to, but as far as I'm concerned it's ok. The company that produced it is out of business and it's not of any commercial value so I would really be surprised if it were an issue.

Don
Checked the README file, it states: AEGON 1995 version. Perhaps that releases you? I could mail it to you first.
Don

Post by Don »

Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Ed?

Don
Checked the README file, it states: AEGON 1995 version. Perhaps that releases you? I could mail it to you first.
I think it's safe to use that version.
Don

Post by Don »

I did apt-get install dosbox, and rexchess runs like a champ!

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to maximize the speed as I think my window manager is intercepting the Ctl-f12 key and others.

Now I want to run Socrates!

Don

Ed?
F.Huber wrote:

F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Don wrote:I did apt-get install dosbox, and rexchess runs like a champ!
Welcome back in the good old DOS times. :)
I hope Ed doesn't have the original Socrates program (because it was copy-protected and did only run with the original floppy disk), else I guess I'll have to help out again. ;)
Don

Post by Don »

F.Huber wrote:
Don wrote:I did apt-get install dosbox, and rexchess runs like a champ!
Welcome back in the good old DOS times. :)
The chirping noise Rex makes when moving really brings back memories! It sounds just like I remembered it.
I hope Ed doesn't have the original Socrates program (because it was copy-protected and did only run with the original floppy disk), else I guess I'll have to help out again. ;)
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Both are up, Rexchess 2.3x and Socrates: http://www.top-5000.nl/cp.htm

Something else, through the years I received multiple versions of Zarkov 2.5 and 2.6 by various users. However I have been unable to contact its author John Stanback. I feel my oldies collection is not complete without Zarkov. Any help is appreciated.