benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alexandr Novikov

Re: iPad Pro with A9X-chip

Post by Alexandr Novikov »

I have Ipad pro, how I can check the speed in chess?
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Alexandr Novikov wrote:I have Ipad pro, how I can check the speed in chess?
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stockfi ... 58605?mt=8
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

Regarding Geekbench, i confirm the good correlation with chess performance. A closer look can also reveal that the "cpu integer" score is even more representative.
In chess, graphics don't matter, floating point either. Integers math and L1 cache decide!
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
towforce

Post by towforce »

Gurcan Uckardes wrote:Regarding Geekbench, i confirm the good correlation with chess performance. A closer look can also reveal that the "cpu integer" score is even more representative.
In chess, graphics don't matter, floating point either. Integers math and L1 cache decide!
Thanks for this! 8-)
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

@Paul :

Yes, the numbers are NPS. This is not a very scientific measurement, considering that testing Stockfish on a Galaxy S7 during one minute is probably like testing it for hours on a Palm Pre : to get a comparable result to the one on the Palm Pre, we should measure the NPS after a few seconds. Add to this that all those smartphones were tested with different versions of Stockfish...

Still, the results give a good overview of the mobile hardware's progress. The ARM CPU is not far from catching up with desktop CPUs, at a fraction of the power usage...

Also, I'm disappointed with the Snapdragon's results. I was expecting even higher results than with the Exynos. This is surprising. As has been mentioned, this probably has something to do with the size of the cache. Also, the Exynos has 8 cores.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Snapdragon Sucks for a long time. I remember when I had the note2.
It had 714.000 when I remember it right and meanwhile snapdragon were lousy. This has not changed over the years that have gone, the company can only make a deal because of the GPU. But the CPU is IMO lousy.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
towforce

Post by towforce »

JuLieN wrote:@Paul :

Yes, the numbers are NPS. This is not a very scientific measurement, considering that testing Stockfish on a Galaxy S7 during one minute is probably like testing it for hours on a Palm Pre : to get a comparable result to the one on the Palm Pre, we should measure the NPS after a few seconds. Add to this that all those smartphones were tested with different versions of Stockfish...

Still, the results give a good overview of the mobile hardware's progress. The ARM CPU is not far from catching up with desktop CPUs, at a fraction of the power usage...

Also, I'm disappointed with the Snapdragon's results. I was expecting even higher results than with the Exynos. This is surprising. As has been mentioned, this probably has something to do with the size of the cache. Also, the Exynos has 8 cores.
Thanks for this answer to my question. 8-)
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
mclane

Post by mclane »

Motorola X Style (6 cores SD808 64bit Android6) 1.524.000

moto X Style with Android 6.0, little better then
LG g3 with the same CPU.

Not sure which Android Version the LG G3 was benchmarked.

Interesting that the 808 6 core CPU has almost no throttling.
it begins with the same NPS and up to 2 minutes holds the value.
As if heat is something not known for the device.

IMO x style is known as x pure in USA.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Htc m10 seems to be a nice mobile phone.
Maybe it beats lg G5 , iPhone and Samsung s7 and Huawei p9.

Htc urgently needs a hit.
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

JuLieN wrote:@Paul :

What setting do you do for S7 edge? I got 2.2k to 2.5KNPS in starting position on droidfish. There is no difference between 4 cpus vs 8 cpus in my phone though the cpu is Exynos 8 cores. What is the the best setting for droidfish on S7edge?