benchmark new smartphones: (Old Thread)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Re: What about LG google nexus 5 ?

Post by Tord Romstad »

royb wrote:It would be nice to see the official Stockfish iPad app being updated to allow the user to set the number of threads and the RAM to be used for hash tables. Hopefully Tord will read this thread and make these changes.
Not likely to happen, at least not using such technical language. The average user would only get confused by terms like "number of threads" and "hash tables"; they don't belong in such an app. Perhaps I'll add an option named something like "slower analysis (conserves battery life)" which limits the engine to a single search thread, but I don't believe in user adjustable hash table sizes.

By the way, I get about 1270 kN/s from the opening position on an iPhone 6. Apple claims the CPU is 25% faster than the one in the iPhone 5s, but clearly this is not the case for computer chess.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Tord Romstad wrote:
royb wrote:It would be nice to see the official Stockfish iPad app being updated to allow the user to set the number of threads and the RAM to be used for hash tables. Hopefully Tord will read this thread and make these changes.
Not likely to happen, at least not using such technical language. The average user would only get confused by terms like "number of threads" and "hash tables"; they don't belong in such an app. Perhaps I'll add an option named something like "slower analysis (conserves battery life)" which limits the engine to a single search thread, but I don't believe in user adjustable hash table sizes.

By the way, I get about 1270 kN/s from the opening position on an iPhone 6. Apple claims the CPU is 25% faster than the one in the iPhone 5s, but clearly this is not the case for computer chess.
yup i got around 1262 kN/s and figured it was only around 10%. So I decided to look at the geekbench scores and see only a 15% increase. But geekbench tests many different things.
Lion

Post by Lion »

That is only 10% faster than an iPhone 5s.
If chess speed is for me an argument to change phone, in this case, its not justified.

What worries me a little more was that I was expecting to change to a new iPad Air 2 which is supposed to be announced next week, but will now likely also be a deception.

Do you know if tablets with Tegra K1 are faster for chess ?

rgds
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

We can expect that the HTC desire 820 with exynos octacore
On 64 bit could be a progress.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Lion

Post by Lion »

Compared to an iPad air ?
mclane

Post by mclane »

I don't know. But interesting.
There will be a number of interesting
New smartphones soon.

Google nexus 6, maybe little too big in size.
But Verizon brings out moto droid turbo
With similar specs but only 5.2" size.

So both have 2k display. Qualcomm 2.7 ghz 805.
Android L. 3 GB ram.

Of course we know Qualcomm CPUs
Are lousy for chess.
joseolv23

Re: benchmark new smartphones:

Post by joseolv23 »

Nexus 9 and Unistar x8 are 64bit
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

joseolv23 wrote:Nexus 9 and Unistar x8 are 64bit
What's Interesting about the Nexus 9 Nvidia K1 processor is that the L1 cache = 128 + 64! Compared to Apples 64 + 64. At 2.3ghz which almost twice the iPad Airs frequency, I'm expecting it will have double the iPads number.

And lets not forget Samsung Note 4 will have an Exynos 7 variant which is 64-bit Octa core.

This year is very interesting for smartphone chess :)
mclane

Post by mclane »

Jhoravi wrote:
joseolv23 wrote:Nexus 9 and Unistar x8 are 64bit
What's Interesting about the Nexus 9 Nvidia K1 processor is that the L1 cache = 128 + 64! Compared to Apples 64 + 64. At 2.3ghz which almost twice the iPad Airs frequency, I'm expecting it will have double the iPads number.

And lets not forget Samsung Note 4 will have an Exynos 7 variant which is 64-bit Octa core.

This year is very interesting for smartphone chess :)
Yes. These machines could be interesting indeed. Let's test them.
melajara

Post by melajara »

Meanwhile, the iPad Air 2 is out, with 2Gb ram and a 40% quicker A8X.

Would be interesting to see if this is pure hype or not when Stockfish will be running on it :wink:
Per ardua ad astra