New tool for studying chess ebooks on Android phone/tablet

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

asimpereira

Re: New tool for studying chess ebooks on Android phone/tabl

Post by asimpereira »

shiv wrote:Tried the app. Its quite good. One thing that I want is the ability to lock view as landscape or portrait. It keeps jumping around if I read in bed for example. The pdf viewer app (EbookReader) has this capability but your version of the program does not.

I liked the program very much otherwise.

I ran this app on the kindle fire. It might be possible that this is an issue on the fire because the portrait/landscape lock is likely not enforced when using google market on the kindle fire. Google market is not officially supported on the fire. However, putting in that control from the parent app will solve the problem.
Thanks Shiv, thats a good suggestion.
The way I read (if on the bed) is to disable the "Auto rotate screen" option from the Android settings. Not sure what it is called in the Kindle.

Glad you liked the app!
shiv

Post by shiv »

The disabling of "Auto rotate screen" on the kindle fire does not stop your app from auto rotating (otherwise I would not have reported this issue).

I will have to see how to access the "android" auto rotate setting. There might be a hack to get access to this setting. Its certainly not visible. I might have to hunt for the name of the system property and set that property to True.
asimpereira

Post by asimpereira »

Now thats device fragmentation! Strange indeed since it works well on my Motorola XYBoard tab and the Droid RAZR.
Anyways, I have added this feature request to my todo list.

Regards,
@sim
shiv

Post by shiv »

Thanks. Will report back when I find out what the system property is or a way to make this work.

I also wonder why the parent app, ebookread decided to include a custom lock rotation feature. Wonder if he also found evidence of device fragmentation.
asimpereira

Post by asimpereira »

The feature (having app do the locking) does make sense, so that users don't have to go and change it in the settings, only to go back and enable it again once you are done reading.
They can simply control it from the app, although I must say that with a widget on your Android home screen, its easier to enable/disable the auto-rotate orientation feature.

Regards,
@sim
asimpereira

Post by asimpereira »

Found the orientation issue and have fixed it.
Will be available in the next update.

Coming soon...