GNU chess 6 setup as UCI engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nionita

GNU chess 6 setup as UCI engine

Post by nionita »

Hi,

I just downloaded gnuchess-6.0.2 and wanted to play around on the Fritz GUI. This version behaves natively as XBoard engine (or at least goes in such a mode when receiving the xboard command). But it will behave like an UCI engine if it is started with the command line option --uci.

But!...

Fritz has no option to pass command line options to the engines,

AND

Windows has no mean to make a script to start a programm with options.

I tried with a cmd file containing just

Code: Select all

gnuchess-6.0.2-32-ja.exe --uci
but then the input and output are not redirected (instead a window opens and the program is connected to that, instead of the pipe from the GUI).

I know Windows is weird and Fritz is weird, and also I could use web2uci, but isn't it crazy this kind of incompatibility?

Has anybody found a solution to this?
nionita

Re: GNU chess 6 setup as UCI engine

Post by nionita »

No, unfortunately it does not. I tried with [Parameter] and [PARAMETER], no way. I have the Fritz GUI from 13 Jan 2009 (came with Fritz 11), perhaps you have a newer version, which works?
nionita

Post by nionita »

Yes, I guess the simplest would be just to enter the UCI mode when there is a uci command (in input). This even works with xboard!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Why not run Fruit 2.1 directly? Then you wouldn't have to deal with all this nonsense...
nionita

Post by nionita »

I have Fruit 2.3.3f, but I think this gnuchess is newer.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

GNUChess 6.02 is newer, but most likely it is not better than Fruit 2.3.3f. I doubt it is better than Fruit 2.1.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Everything beyond Fruit 2.1 is closed source, right? So GNU Chess 6 cannot be a derivative of that. It is just Fruit 2.1 + Polyglot, merged into a single executable (one thread running Fruit, the other running Polyglot).
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:Everything beyond Fruit 2.1 is closed source, right? So GNU Chess 6 cannot be a derivative of that. It is just Fruit 2.1 + Polyglot, merged into a single executable (one thread running Fruit, the other running Polyglot).
Not exactly

Toga is based on fruit2.1 and is not closed source and I see no reason that GNU Chess cannot be derivative of toga.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:Everything beyond Fruit 2.1 is closed source, right? So GNU Chess 6 cannot be a derivative of that. It is just Fruit 2.1 + Polyglot, merged into a single executable (one thread running Fruit, the other running Polyglot).
Not exactly

Toga is based on fruit2.1 and is not closed source and I see no reason that GNU Chess cannot be derivative of toga.
I never heard, and I doubt that it happened, that Thomas signed over his rights to Toga to the FSF. This means that GNU Chess won't include the Toga changes.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dirt wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Not exactly

I never heard, and I doubt that it happened, that Thomas signed over his rights to Toga to the FSF. This means that GNU Chess won't include the Toga changes.
I do not understand what is the relevance of what Thomas did or did not.

The status of derivatives of fruit2.1(not by fabien) should be the same as the status of fruit2.1 at the time that fabien released it(and I do not understand how fabien can change the status of Fruit2.1 by signing rights to FSF unless Fabien let FSF to release GNU chess based on fruit2.1 without the source).

They are free source code and everybody has the right to change them (assuming not releasing exe without the source).

Edit:Note that I think only of other authors and not of Fabien when I say the status should be the same and of course Fabien is allowed to change Fruit2.1 and make it close source but he is not allowed to change toga and make it close source.

My point is that I think that from the point of view of some new author fruit2.1 and toga have the same status meaning that they are allowed to change both without asking other people assuming they release the source.