Octochess r4529

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Codesquid
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Octochess r4529

Post by Codesquid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:20 pm

After almost a month since the first release, there's finally a new version of Octochess.

Changes:
  • Improved playing strength
  • Experimental UCI implementation
  • Many small bugs fixed
  • Add alternative popcount implemention for systems without POPCOUNT.
  • If compiled as 32bit program, clamp transposition table size to 1GB
  • Some code refactoring
You can download the new version from http://octochess.org/octochess-r4529.7z, the archive contains both Windows and Linux binaries.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes

User avatar
Jim Ablett
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Jim Ablett » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33584
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Graham Banks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.
Thanks Jim. Any issues using smaller hash sizes than 1gb with the 32-bit version?
Any idea of its strength?
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

User avatar
Jim Ablett
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Jim Ablett » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.
Thanks Jim. Any issues using smaller hash sizes than 1gb with the 32-bit version?
Hi Graham,

I haven't noticed anything. Uses 362mb out of the box on my 32 bit Xp system.

Jim.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33584
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:48 am

Jim Ablett wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.
Thanks Jim. Any issues using smaller hash sizes than 1gb with the 32-bit version?
Hi Graham,

I haven't noticed anything. Uses 362mb out of the box on my 32 bit Xp system.

Jim.
Any idea of its strength roughly?
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

User avatar
Jim Ablett
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Jim Ablett » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.
Thanks Jim. Any issues using smaller hash sizes than 1gb with the 32-bit version?
Hi Graham,

I haven't noticed anything. Uses 362mb out of the box on my 32 bit Xp system.

Jim.
Any idea of its strength roughly?
I played some test games against Nejmet and it seems of similar strength.

Jim.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33584
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Graham Banks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 am

Jim Ablett wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Any idea of its strength roughly?
I played some test games against Nejmet and it seems of similar strength.

Jim.
Thanks Jim. :)
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by geots » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 am

Jim Ablett wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Octochess (r4558) - compiled from latest src pulled from SVN.

Windows/Linux 32/64 bit

Finally got some 32 bit compiles made. :)

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/octochess-r4558-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/FhWH/octochess-r4558-ja.zip


Jim.
Thanks Jim. Any issues using smaller hash sizes than 1gb with the 32-bit version?
Hi Graham,

I haven't noticed anything. Uses 362mb out of the box on my 32 bit Xp system.

Jim.
Any idea of its strength roughly?
I played some test games against Nejmet and it seems of similar strength.

Jim.


Look, it can't be true that I am ok either way with either his download or yours. Speaking of 64bit now. One of the 2 I will be better off using. No time to be modest. I really need to know. Which?


Best,

george

User avatar
Jim Ablett
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by Jim Ablett » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Look, it can't be true that I am ok either way with either his download or yours. Speaking of 64bit now. One of the 2 I will be better off using. No time to be modest. I really need to know. Which?
Hi George,

I didn't test my 64 bit bit version against Tim's this time, I was preoccupied just trying to a 32 bit version working.
I would load them both up and see which one has the highest knps and is the most stable & use that one.
Mine maybe slightly slower than normal as I just noticed I used my 32-bit edited source for the 64 bit compile.
This uses 'C' bitscan routines instead of 'Asm' which is a tad slower. Would be interesting to see if it is still faster than Tim's.

Jim.

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Octochess r4529

Post by geots » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Jim Ablett wrote:
Look, it can't be true that I am ok either way with either his download or yours. Speaking of 64bit now. One of the 2 I will be better off using. No time to be modest. I really need to know. Which?
Hi George,

I didn't test my 64 bit bit version against Tim's this time, I was preoccupied just trying to a 32 bit version working.
I would load them both up and see which one has the highest knps and is the most stable & use that one.
Mine maybe slightly slower than normal as I just noticed I used my 32-bit edited source for the 64 bit compile.
This uses 'C' bitscan routines instead of 'Asm' which is a tad slower. Would be interesting to see if it is still faster than Tim's.

Jim.



I could do it that way to check it. But instead just run the exes and in console mode type in "go depth 22" and it will run thru 22 depths. When it has finished, it shows the nodes per second. Then you can do the same thing with the other exe and tell which is faster. Instead of having to load and maybe unload the engine. (Just be sure if it doesn't look right- that one of the exes is not running the info on 4 cores.)


Thanks, Jim

george

Post Reply