Losing a doctorate degree!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

diep

Re: Only for Diep ! -:)

Post by diep »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
diep wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:besides all that I believe that this thread shoud be moved to engines origin.
it's a bad idea as the engines origins are NOT getting indexed by google.

WHY by the way????
isn't it about engin origins ? In special about Lists origin ?

Greets, Thomas
you're not a robot Thomas. don't behave like the other Zhermans :)
the cut'n paste industry in Zhermany is not the industry you belong to is it?

Up to list, 50% of all clones were German clones. By 2003,
there was very few clones originating from The netherlands, italy, spain, france.

most clones were from Zhermany!!!!!
Last edited by diep on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

diep wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:besides all that I believe that this thread shoud be moved to engines origin.

WHY by the way????
Engine Origins is closed to public veiwing so google bots can't search it.
Terry McCracken
diep

Post by diep »

Terry McCracken wrote:
diep wrote:

WHY by the way????
Engine Origins is closed to public veiwing so google bots can't search it.
which is very ugly and bad idea.

we should NEVER have left usenet if you ask me. moderation also is way too quick in most forums. in fact i even have had a courtcase to me, becasue a MODERATOR back then, called Dan Corbit, encouraged someone to do that.
weeks later, using his moderator privileges he removed all those messages from CCC.

the best form of moderation is not moderate at all and sit it out :)
diep

Post by diep »

JuLieN wrote:
diep wrote:

WHY by the way????
This is actually exactly the point: Engines Origin is kept closed to prevent search engines from indexing it. The goal is to protect any accused author to suffer from too much damages while the cloning issue is not proven.

We've been told it's a request from Talkchess' sponsor who doesn't want to risk any legal issue.

I am also an advocate of opening Engines Origin, but this decision sadly depends only on Talkchess' sponsor.

And by the way, Talkchess is a neutral zone: it doesn't belong to Dr. Hyatt, the ICGA, the Rybka team or any other lobby.
Which is a dead wrong idea from engines origin.

one should not let the clones get away with it that easy that no one ever can index it later on that it is a clone. a clone is a clone is a clone.
one should not remove that from the net simply.

once a thief always a thief.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

diep wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:
diep wrote:

WHY by the way????

Greets, Thomas

there was very few clones originating from The netherlands, italy, spain, france.

I'm definitely not as familiar with clones as you are. I remember clones from almost everywhere around the world. So what. Anyway, we have engine origins, so why not use it ? As far as I understood the new moderator team wants to keep general topics clean from all those long dicussions full of hate.
And no, I do not belong to any cut & paste industry. If it's about german industry in comon they are most of the time victims of cut & paste industry elsewhere - but this would belong into CTF... Anyway, I absolutely do not understand what your posting has to do with the current thread ?

Greets, Thomas
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

diep wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
diep wrote:

WHY by the way????
This is actually exactly the point: Engines Origin is kept closed to prevent search engines from indexing it. The goal is to protect any accused author to suffer from too much damages while the cloning issue is not proven.

We've been told it's a request from Talkchess' sponsor who doesn't want to risk any legal issue.

I am also an advocate of opening Engines Origin, but this decision sadly depends only on Talkchess' sponsor.

And by the way, Talkchess is a neutral zone: it doesn't belong to Dr. Hyatt, the ICGA, the Rybka team or any other lobby.
Which is a dead wrong idea from engines origin.

one should not let the clones get away with it that easy that no one ever can index it later on that it is a clone. a clone is a clone is a clone.
one should not remove that from the net simply.

once a thief always a thief.
Not addressed to anyone in particular:

This thread is about a specific issue: ICGA investigation and public accusation of the organization about a given program/author. The thread is behaving appropriately, it is civil, and not based on gossips. Let's not derail it into side issues. Let's keep it that way.

Miguel
diep

Post by diep »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
diep wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:
diep wrote:

WHY by the way????

Greets, Thomas

I'm definitely not as familiar with clones as you are. I remember clones from almost everywhere around the world. So what. Anyway, we have engine origins, so why not use it ? As far as I understood the new moderator team wants to keep general topics clean from all those long dicussions full of hate.
And no, I do not belong to any cut & paste industry. If it's about german industry in comon they are most of the time victims of cut & paste industry elsewhere - but this would belong into CTF... Anyway, I absolutely do not understand what your posting has to do with the current thread ?

Greets, Thomas
Actually for clones there is a number of issues of course. The old icga method of recognizing which clone it is still works. Get a position where it is known that some specific program blunders and see whether it's doing that as well.

But right now it's far simpler of course. Engines are 3400 now or so, the strongest; it's impossible to directly start with an engine of 3000+.

Even for well known authors that's impossible.

They can build something that's a tad stronger than their own engine and improve that further - sure.

Then either they need at home a whole farm of computers, like what i'm building here right now, or you need bunches of testers and therefore zillions of versions which slowly grow stronger.

First time authors who just show up - the historic simple way to recognize such engines is look at the endgame; the toughest thing initially to fix is the endgame.

What we saw past years is a whole swerm of engines that start at 2800 and upwards, by total unknown authors, who no one ever spoke before, let alone that it even has been confirmed they know how to low level program.

Yet they all 'by accident' in datastructure look a lot like each other and play all similar, search all similar.

The nerd might not find that clear proof then, but the guy on the street knows enough of course. We shouldn't make ourselves a stranger from the guy on the street there.

Yet to catch them they need to join the ICGA world champs and a complained needs to be filed. We see too many tournaments that allow specific engines which are obvious clones.

What we saw in world champs 2010 in Japan was also pretty bad by the way by any measure, when i analyzed the games.

Vincent
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thomas, Vincent, do any of you know which LIST and Crafty versions we are talking about?
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Rebel wrote:Thomas, Vincent, do any of you know which LIST and Crafty versions we are talking about?
In the following link, it is suggested that List 4.60 and List 5.04 were under question:
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... ne#p183935

From what I have seen, it is Crafty 18.xx that List may have similarity to.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Adam Hair wrote:
Rebel wrote:Thomas, Vincent, do any of you know which LIST and Crafty versions we are talking about?
In the following link, it is suggested that List 4.60 and List 5.04 were under question:
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... ne#p183935

From what I have seen, it is Crafty 18.xx that List may have similarity to.
More : http://www.chessbase.com/newsroom2.asp?id=1330