Levy's interview on Chessbase about ICGA/rybka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

Re: Levy's interview on Chessbase about ICGA/rybka

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
marcelk wrote:
bob wrote: I would not be surprised in the least to discover that 1/4 of the cct-12 programs are not original.
Any burden of proof is on YOUR side. Naming would be a nice start. Evidence is next. Waiting...
"I would not be surprised . . ." is not an allegation.

Best
Dan H.
Casts a slur of suspicion though.
That's true but there is no implication that you have evidence against anyone in particular which is what Marcel seems to believe.

Best
Dan H.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
marcelk wrote:
bob wrote: I would not be surprised in the least to discover that 1/4 of the cct-12 programs are not original.
Any burden of proof is on YOUR side. Naming would be a nice start. Evidence is next. Waiting...

Best
Dan H.
That's true but there is no implication that you have evidence against anyone in particular which is what Marcel seems to believe.

Best
Dan H.
Indeed, but one must be careful not to upset genuine authors with a blanket statement like that, even if it could well be right according to Bob's definition of originality.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

marcelk wrote: And Rybka didn't compete at the same time with Fruit (5).
It did however play 2x against Gridchess/Cluster Toga which did have Fabien's permission to be there.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
marcelk wrote:

Best
Dan H.

Best
Dan H.
Indeed, but one must be careful not to upset genuine authors with a blanket statement like that, even if it could well be right according to Bob's definition of originality.
I believe saying 1/4 was being careful since this number represents a minority. So a genuine author need not get upset since he is in the 3/4 (or majority).
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

h1a8 wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
marcelk wrote:

Best
Dan H.

Best
Dan H.
I believe saying 1/4 was being careful since this number represents a minority. So a genuine author need not get upset since he is in the 3/4 (or majority).
You're right, only programmers that may not be completely ligit would be nervous. If there isn't a Watchdog then the programmers that may not be clean would eventually become the majority.

That would be very tragic for computer chess. Quality would be sacrificed along with Originality.
Terry McCracken
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
It did however play 2x against Gridchess/Cluster Toga which did have Fabien's permission to be there.
All authors are listed http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/p ... php?id=520
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
michiguel wrote: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=36

You smeared 1/4 of the CCT entrants for no other reason than your gut. That is not a lie. By the way, nothing came out of that empty statement.
Confirmed.
Please "name the CCT entrants that were smeared". SPECIFICALLY. Program names or author names will do equally well.

waiting...
Recap
bob wrote: Here's a newsflash. Fruit/Rybka/Robo* is just the_tip_ of the iceberg. And I do mean the "tip". I would not be surprised in the least to discover that 1/4 of the cct-12 programs are not original. Vincent has raised this issue several times, I happen to agree with him completely. We have some _major_ issues with "ethically challenged individuals".
Graham wrote: So which authors would you like to accuse :shock:
bob wrote: Will accuse when enough evidence is collected. "gut" is rarely wrong in these cases, however. More later. No statement about when "later" is, hence no names yet either.
Meaning it's your job to list those names you had in mind and your More later implies that you got that yourself.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:
marcelk wrote:

Best
Dan H.
Hey Dan, long time no see.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Ok thanks. Which tournaments where that? Before or after the "I took many things"-statement of VR?
With a GPL you don't need additional author's permission to use it (or any part of it) in a tournament, at least when the tournament is held in the EU.
At best you need the organizer's permission, and indeed for the WCCC this is written in rule 2 that for that purpose the TD needs disclosure of the contents. My wondering here is how strict the information regarding origins on the entry forms have been applied historically, and how much has been accepted from "public knowledge".
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Rebel wrote: Hey Dan, long time no see.
Hi Ed. I'm keeping busy and enjoying retirement. I pop in once in a while to see what's up with this Rybka debate. It's like a soap opera - you can miss two months and pick it right back up.

Best
Dan H.