Analyzing a one million games database...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rodolfoleoni

Analyzing a one million games database...

Post by rodolfoleoni »

**ouch!!** It's painful...

I'm running the resulting tree analysis since almost one week. At fixed depth, Baron is taking 5 to 30 secs per position and I could be at about 20% of database.

Gosh!
:shock:
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
marcelk

Re: Analyzing a one million games database...

Post by marcelk »

rodolfoleoni wrote:**ouch!!** It's painful...

I'm running the resulting tree analysis since almost one week. At fixed depth, Baron is taking 5 to 30 secs per position and I could be at about 20% of database.

Gosh!
I have a machine doing just this 24/7. The good thing is that while waiting you have more than enough time to come up with a lot of good filtering ideas :-)
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

marcelk wrote:
rodolfoleoni wrote:**ouch!!** It's painful...

Gosh!
I have a machine doing just this 24/7. The good thing is that while waiting you have more than enough time to come up with a lot of good filtering ideas :-)
Being not a programmer, I can use nothing more than Richard Pijl filtering ideas... :)

In fact, this work derives from the promising experiment I recently ran with Critter session file being used instead of opening books. The Baron facilities allow me to use some shortcuts (e.g. to analyse the tree instead of single games, to handle transpositions, and so on). I don't know about a GUI which has the same features, so the work is being done in console mode. When finished, I should have a learn file to use with experiments.
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

I'm surprised you started this without knowing beforehand how long it would take. If you got 20 percent done, then you have a very reduced tree IMHO.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Albert Silver wrote:I'm surprised you started this without knowing beforehand how long it would take. If you got 20 percent done, then you have a very reduced tree IMHO.
I made a similar work some months ago, but with a shallow fixed depth. It lasted 2 days, and my guess was about 30 days this time. The good thing is that I can stop/resume it when I want.

And yes, there are some tricky reductions, you're a good observer. ;)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
jdart

Post by jdart »

For what purpose are you analyzing it (for a opening book, or ?).
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

jdart wrote:For what purpose are you analyzing it (for a opening book, or ?).
The purpose is to get a learnfile from positions analysis, because I want to test it vs. standard opening books. Recent tests I ran with Critter learn system showed me it could gain superiority vs. traditional opening books, so I want to try it with the Baron.

Meantime, this work serves to score Baron book too, and it could be useful later. :)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)