Christian Berliner banned

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carlos Ylich

Re: Christian Berliner banned

Post by Carlos Ylich »

I am against the ban. When a group bans one of its members, the whole group loses and fails. Support the suspension as a means to warn and educate. :!:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Carlos Ylich wrote:I am against the ban. When a group bans one of its members, the whole group loses and fails. Support the suspension as a means to warn and educate. :!:
The group did not lose anything, but gained. He was a pedantic troll, who respected no one, and felt entitled to start threads calling the moderators "fools". The moderators are not here to educate.

The forum is better off without such 'members'.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Roger Brown wrote:Hello All,

Christian Berliner has been sent on a brief break.

As I am sure that there will be all sorts of commentary unsupported by facts, I will only say that I did contact Christian Berliner by e-mail and sought to have him post appropriately.

This is the result.

Yes, there have been a number of complaints about his posts but do not let that stop you from going at it.

Seconds to go now....

Later.
He'll be back. It's always the same...just a different dress.
Terry McCracken
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Carlos Ylich wrote:I am against the ban. When a group bans one of its members, the whole group loses and fails. Support the suspension as a means to warn and educate. :!:
I disagree. All societies have tools to ban the elements that shake their stability. For example prisons or lunatic asylums. Talkchess just bans.

We can't just accept that anyone can come and troll a specialized forum. Because yes, Talkchess is specialized: it's about computer chess. Anything else is of topic and will only be tolerated if correct. And banned if not.

Besides, when you register a forum you agree with its rule. And you don't register to a forum to destroy or damage it. A forum is a society. Either respect this society or leave it.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

JuLieN wrote:
I disagree. All societies have tools to ban the elements that shake their stability. For example prisons or lunatic asylums. Talkchess just bans.

We can't just accept that anyone can come and troll a specialized forum. Because yes, Talkchess is specialized: it's about computer chess. Anything else is of topic and will only be tolerated if correct. And banned if not.

Besides, when you register a forum you agree with its rule. And you don't register to a forum to destroy or damage it. A forum is a society. Either respect this society or leave it.
+1
Don

Post by Don »

Your statement reads like a scripted cliche. They get repeated enough time that people just start believing it without any sort of critical thinking and then they start repeating it and so on.
Carlos Ylich

Post by Carlos Ylich »

Albert Silver wrote:
The group did not lose anything, but gained. He was a pedantic troll, who respected no one, and felt entitled to start threads calling the moderators "fools". The moderators are not here to educate.

And the owners live the truth!!!
Don

Post by Don »

JuLieN wrote:

Exactly! I almost launched into a lecture on this but you did it so much nicer than I could have with much less words.

I do believe that banning should be a last resort because in my opinion this was not even controversial, it was the right thing without question.

The analogy I want to use is a medical operation. All operations where you cut the body are intrusive and hard on the body, in fact they generally use intrusive operations as a last resort. But that doesn't mean you should never get an operation or remove the "cancer" that is diminished the entire rest of the body. You do what is best.
bob

Post by bob »

Carlos Ylich wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

And the owners live the truth!!!
Is this supposed to be one of those "this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs..." commercials???
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Andres Valverde wrote:
Steve B wrote:Of course a justified move by the moderators
the man was on a posting rampage for two days now undoubtedly fueled by Alcohol

Off The Wagon Regards
Steve
+1
+2 trollfest