Residual Image

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Residual Image

Post by Werewolf »

As an OTB player I'm just shy of 2200 elo. I've spend quite a bit of time trying to find what's holding me back and one of my problems is the visualisation of chess positions during analysis.

I often get the board muddled and miss things and when the position I had imagined actually gets played. Over the board it looks very different to how I saw it in my mind a few moves back. I'm starting to think this may be a residual image problem as I have a good eye for tactics (weirdly).

Does anyone know how to beat this? Has anything good been written on this topic? I notice that quite a few players are closing their eyes these days or turning away from the board - is that to visualise a 2D board in their mind which they can move the pieces around at will??

Any help appreciated!
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Residual Image

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Werewolf wrote:As an OTB player I'm just shy of 2200 elo. I've spend quite a bit of time trying to find what's holding me back and one of my problems is the visualisation of chess positions during analysis.

I often get the board muddled and miss things and when the position I had imagined actually gets played. Over the board it looks very different to how I saw it in my mind a few moves back. I'm starting to think this may be a residual image problem as I have a good eye for tactics (weirdly).

Does anyone know how to beat this? Has anything good been written on this topic? I notice that quite a few players are closing their eyes these days or turning away from the board - is that to visualise a 2D board in their mind which they can move the pieces around at will??

Any help appreciated!
Strange....never encountered such a problem :roll:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Werewolf wrote:As an OTB player I'm just shy of 2200 elo. I've spend quite a bit of time trying to find what's holding me back and one of my problems is the visualisation of chess positions during analysis.

Any help appreciated!

Kotov in his book "Think Like A Grandmaster" Kotov speaks of this very phenomenon. He goes into great detail as how to identify this issue and correct it. I think you will be pleased. Truly and beautiful gem of a book.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Any help appreciated!

Of course you have Doc. We all do. You just are not thinking along those lines. Everytime you lose to Houdini or Komodo or others you have missed something perhaps 10-12 ply deeper in the position. Often when you miss tactical ideas it is for this very reason that Carl pointed out. Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy. :wink:
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Robert Flesher wrote:

Kotov in his book "Think Like A Grandmaster" Kotov speaks of this very phenomenon. He goes into great detail as how to identify this issue and correct it. I think you will be pleased. Truly and beautiful gem of a book.
THANK YOU. I actually HAVE this book on my shelf! How embarrassing, I better actually go and read it now.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Robert Flesher wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Any help appreciated!

Of course you have Doc. We all do. You just are not thinking along those lines. Everytime you lose to Houdini or Komodo or others you have missed something perhaps 10-12 ply deeper in the position. Often when you miss tactical ideas it is for this very reason that Carl pointed out. Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy. :wink:
:D

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Andre

Post by Andre »

On the same topic I would suggest "Invisible Chess Moves" that just won book of the year http://www.chesscafe.com/Reviews/boty.htm
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Is that good? I saw a big splodge on the front cover and didn't know what to make of it.
bob

Post by bob »

Any help appreciated!
Ever tried to play blindfolded? Helped me a lot many years ago. When I went to college, friend and I drove about 50 miles one way every day for a year, commuting, before I moved to be closer. We played chess every day. When I drove, he used a little plastic peg-board, and I played "blindfolded" (unable to see the board). I found it helped my play a LOT...
Don

Post by Don »

Any help appreciated!
How about blindfold practice? I think any player over 1800 can probably play 1 game blindfold, or at least do it with some practice. I don't know if it will help your chess but it seems like it might.

I think that I remember hearing that xboard has a blindfold mode, not sure if it does or how it works. You can run Crafty too I'm pretty sure in a terminal without display - or just cover the screen except for the prompt.