Best way to improve one's tactical ability (from 1500-1800)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Best way to improve one's tactical ability (from 1500-1800)

Post by h1a8 »

What is the quickest way to improve one's tactical ability from about 1500 to 1800 level if one can only devote 30min a day to chess study?

1. Is is with an online program like ct-art or chessimo or is it with problem books like 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate?
Anyone has shown great improvement with either?

2. Or is it another approach (please explain)?

Thanks!
Werewolf

Re: Best way to improve one's tactical ability (from 1500-18

Post by Werewolf »

Read 'Play like a Grandmaster'
Ajedrecista

Re: Best way to improve one's tactical ability (1500-1800).

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello:

I am not an expert in this matter, and I guess that is difficult improve tactical skills in shorts periods of time; anyway, I wish you good luck!

You can try problems of Shredder website:

http://www.shredderchess.com/weekly-chess-problems.html

Some of the problems in ChessGames are also interesting (one per day):

http://www.chessgames.com/

But I recommend you Chess Tempo:

http://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html

IMHO, the last link is very useful: it has thousands of problems of different levels.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Werewolf wrote:Read 'Play like a Grandmaster'
That is actually not advisable for a player rated in the range he gave.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

h1a8 wrote:What is the quickest way to improve one's tactical ability from about 1500 to 1800 level if one can only devote 30min a day to chess study?

1. Is is with an online program like ct-art or chessimo or is it with problem books like 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate?

Thanks!
I am unaware of CT-Art an online program. However CT-Art is an excellent tactics program and I highly recommend it. Be sure to limit the level, and work within themes. I think the Peshka version doesn't allow more than one filter, so you might wish to try and get the older Windows version.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Don

Post by Don »

h1a8 wrote:What is the quickest way to improve one's tactical ability from about 1500 to 1800 level if one can only devote 30min a day to chess study?

Thanks!
In my opinion using books like 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate is a great way to boost your tactical ability. Solve the problems as quickly and accurately as possible (in other words be fully involved and concentrating) and after you complete the book go over it again and perhaps a third time. It doesn't matter if you remember the solution the second time around (you probably will remember a lot of them) as long as you play out the combinations in your mind. It would help you even if you learned it like the back of your hand - it's not just about the calculating but learning the patterns. If you installing think, "oh yes, I remember that one" it proves you are recognizing the patters and themes.

There are other good tactical books too which would serve the purpose. If the book is too difficult come back to it later after going through a simpler book.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Don wrote:

Thanks!
In my opinion using books like 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate is a great way to boost your tactical ability. Solve the problems as quickly and accurately as possible (in other words be fully involved and concentrating) and after you complete the book go over it again and perhaps a third time. It doesn't matter if you remember the solution the second time around (you probably will remember a lot of them) as long as you play out the combinations in your mind. It would help you even if you learned it like the back of your hand - it's not just about the calculating but learning the patterns. If you installing think, "oh yes, I remember that one" it proves you are recognizing the patters and themes.

There are other good tactical books too which would serve the purpose. If the book is too difficult come back to it later after going through a simpler book.
Plus one.
Very good way to learn. 1001 checkmate is a winner. Repeat go over
and over the book.

Best,
Gerold.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Werewolf wrote:Read 'Play like a Grandmaster'
I would never have said this [as i don't feel i am up to date on things]. But it is just surprising that this answer was the first thing that came to my mind, after reading the first post.
When i studied that section, i was spotting combinations very very well, for a time.
(but in general, Kotovs books are not easy to follow, for people who are not close to the middle of the 2000's range).
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

Play against strong engine, lose in 15 moves, analazy the game. After playing several games against Droidfish I got better at not leaving unprotected pieces in the middle of nowhere.
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

Play against strong engine, lose in 15 moves, analazy the game. After playing several games against Droidfish I got better at not leaving unprotected pieces in the middle of nowhere.