Stockfish 2.2.2 JA update available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Jim.

Thanks for all your work with the compiles!  I am testing the "Intel sse 4.2 build" version of Stockfish in a game-in 10 secods match.  So far no time losses, so it looks like the problem has been solved.

Take care

pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Stockfish 2.2.2 JA Intel-Compile time-management

Post by pohl4711 »

pohl4711 wrote:
The Intel compiles (native Windows threads) include the time fix from 2.2.1.
OK, found it. Will try it this weekend and report it here.

Stefan
I can report, that the 2.2.2. JA 64bit Intel-Compile (no SSE) works fine on my system (only 2 time losses in now 570 bulletgames (60 seconds+500ms Fischerbonus)).

It seems to be that this version is about 5-10 Elo stronger than the 2.2.1-compile. I will test it for my NEBB-Rankinglists and will replace the older 2.2.1 with the nice new 2.2.2 Version, because it is only a bugfix-version (but a good one!)

Stefan
PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

In an 800 game match: game in 10 seconds plus 1 second per move, the Intel sse 4.2 Stockfish compile lost 8 of its 536 games (1.5%) on time.  Neither of the other two engines (Ivanhoe, RobboLito) lost a game on time.  I guess there is still some issue in Stockfish.

Games here... http://www.datafilehost.com/download-dccf8772.html

geots

Re: Stockfish 2.2.2 JA update available

Post by geots »

PawnStormZ wrote:            In an 800 game match: game in 10 seconds plus 1 second per move, the Intel sse 4.2 Stockfish compile lost 8 of its 536 games (1.5%) on time.  Neither of the other two engines (Ivanhoe, RobboLito) lost a game on time.  I guess there is still some issue in Stockfish.

Games here... http://www.datafilehost.com/download-dccf8772.html

It does not matter which incremental control you use- you can always take a calculator and come up with a repeating time control, ie 40/3 , 40/4 , 40/8 40/10 repeating, etc. that would basically give the engine the same amount of seconds on average for each move.

I know of 3 Ivanhoe versions that hate it, don't understand it, and will lose on time in a high percentage of games. And they are strong versions you really don't want to discard. So I now play a repeating control comparable to an incremental one. I will NEVER again play even one game at those controls. Fine if you aren't getting losses, but do you expect someone to fix the problem in the Ivanhoe's I mention? Won't happen-ever. And some programmers are not going to spend an inordinate amount of time on a problem you can easily circumvent.

Everyone has different ideas about it, but I don't call it a bug or an issue if I can get the same results a different way with not more than 1 time loss in 1000 games- if even 1.

Best,

george