Engine books: Hiarcs vs. Komodo ... @Larry

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Engine books: Hiarcs vs. Komodo ... @Larry

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hello Larry,

I think one of the events for computer chess this year could be the opening by GM Kaufmann / yourself.

What you wrote about your work is interesting and I hope that your book will be available this year.

In my opinion the best commercial book at the moment is indeed the book from the Hiarcs team. I gave this book 8 hours on weekend and I am very surprised about this work. Very good in my opinion is the old Nimzo 8 opening book (found a lot of interesting ideas) or the book by the Junior team.

I am sure we can await a really good work by yourself. This should be clear.

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Re: Engine books: Hiarcs vs. Komodo ... @Larry

Post by lkaufman »

My book is available now from New In Chess, but it is not an engine book, it is a regular opening book for human chessplayers. It would however make an excellent base for an engine book, with all the lines suitable extended, since the lines were chosen with an eye towards what looks best based on very deep and minimaxed Komodo analysis.
Lion

Post by Lion »

I did order your book.
I read the pdf extract from NIC where you mention you did put the best opening/variantions.

I had in mind before :

Black
Semi Slave
Sicilian or Spanish

White
Likely d4 since it seems that Marshal gambit of the Spanish "easely" draws.

None the less, while you explain your choise of the Grünfeld over the Semi Slave, I am still wondering the following :
* Why not the sicilian instead of e5 ? I do believe today that the sicilian is as good but that it gives you more winning chances.

* I didn't receive your book yet, but I used to play OTB and on computer playchess room the Grüfeld. I am not convinced that the lines provided in GrandMaster repertoire book 8/9 against 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 Nxc3 7.bxc3 c5 8.Rb1 gives full equality.

On play chess, in the SemiSlave against Bg5, it seems that some players like PhilHaris using a private book create by on other guy I forgot the name found an interesting line. Play the CambridgeSprings but when white takes on d5, black takes back with the e pawn moving into a kind of Queens Gambit exchange variation where black was doing fine.

Looking forward to receive your book.
rgds
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Lion wrote:I did order your book.
I read the pdf extract from NIC where you mention you did put the best opening/variantions.

I had in mind before :

Black
Semi Slave
Sicilian or Spanish

White
Likely d4 since it seems that Marshal gambit of the Spanish "easely" draws.

None the less, while you explain your choise of the Grünfeld over the Semi Slave, I am still wondering the following :
* Why not the sicilian instead of e5 ? I do believe today that the sicilian is as good but that it gives you more winning chances.

* I didn't receive your book yet, but I used to play OTB and on computer playchess room the Grüfeld. I am not convinced that the lines provided in GrandMaster repertoire book 8/9 against 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 Nxc3 7.bxc3 c5 8.Rb1 gives full equality.

On play chess, in the SemiSlave against Bg5, it seems that some players like PhilHaris using a private book create by on other guy I forgot the name found an interesting line. Play the CambridgeSprings but when white takes on d5, black takes back with the e pawn moving into a kind of Queens Gambit exchange variation where black was doing fine.

Looking forward to receive your book.
rgds
Regarding the Sicilian, I consider only the Najdorf to be fully correct, and it is ridiculously overanalyzed. Also, I think it is harder for Black to get counterplay in sidelines like Alapin and 3.Bb5 than in most sidelines after 1.e4 e5.
Regarding Cambridge Springs, after cxd5 exd5 the Black queen is just poorly placed on a5. The Exchange QGD is annoying enough for Black normally, certainly more so with the queen misplaced.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your answer which IMHO makes sense.

What is your opinion of the Lasker variation of the Queens Gambit ?
Or lets say why not replace the Grünfeld setup by one which includes the Lasker variation ?

Wouldn't it be much less work for an amateur with nonetheless a very reliable repertoire ?

Also within the Caro-Kann, I do not believe black has to many problems.

Against 1.e4, here is in order IMHO what is the best absolute :
e5 -> egal
c5 -> egal but more chances that white can pull for an edge
c6 -> white may have a little edge or have black suffer a little
e6 -> white has an edge, or black is likely suffuring.

Against 1.d4, it seems to me that so many opening are OK for black.... looking forward to read your book how white can pull an edge...

rgds
Sarciness

Post by Sarciness »

What's egal?
Lion

Post by Lion »

position or lets say white is no less or more suffuring than black....

Did I missed the spelling of = with a "u" and a "q" ?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Lion wrote:Hi Larry,

Thanks for your answer which IMHO makes sense.

What is your opinion of the Lasker variation of the Queens Gambit ?
Or lets say why not replace the Grünfeld setup by one which includes the Lasker variation ?

Wouldn't it be much less work for an amateur with nonetheless a very reliable repertoire ?

Also within the Caro-Kann, I do not believe black has to many problems.

Against 1.e4, here is in order IMHO what is the best absolute :
e5 -> egal
c5 -> egal but more chances that white can pull for an edge
c6 -> white may have a little edge or have black suffer a little
e6 -> white has an edge, or black is likely suffuring.

Against 1.d4, it seems to me that so many opening are OK for black.... looking forward to read your book how white can pull an edge...

rgds
The Lasker defense is a pretty good choice if a draw is the goal. White usually keeps a very small edge in a drawish position. That makes it not so suitable for my book.
The main problem with the caro is 3.e5. Black is of course not in trouble, but not quite equal either.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Your comments match my own understanding and investigations.

Nonetheless, do you believe the white should avoid the Lasker variation by either play the Bf4 line or cxd or else ?

More specificaly, what do you think of both of these lines ? (Bf4 & cxd)

rgds
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

I recommend both cxd (if White hasn't played Nf3) and Bf4 (if he has) in my book.