Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Post by h1a8 »

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Post by JuLieN »

"In everything, excess is a vice." (Seneca)

"Les excès de passion sont toujours regrettables c’est le contraire de l’intelligence" (Excess of passion are always regrettable, they are the opposite of intelligence." (Michel Audiard)

:(
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

this is very bad news.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

mclane wrote:this is very bad news.
naa..
can be covering because rebel also shares some Fruit code? :twisted:

Many are interested on minimizing the ICGA/rybka in order to keep making money with illegal software
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

I like the reaction from Ed.
A men with principles.
Not a yea-sayer!

The very bad second open letter (for around 20 reasons) must be have consequences. Ed have minimal other reasons I have for do some things but he had my fully support. I can understand him and support the reaction.

Such persons like Ed computer chess needed. The "old" men must give the direction because the many of the younger programmers are not able to do this and life in a fantasy World. OK, if I look in the past with my experience of contacts to so many people I think most views have to do with the generation problem.

Really a good day for computer chess from my point of view. Perhaps different people start to thinking. Money, own interests and bad publicity is more important for so many programmers.

And to ICGA!
This was a red card!

Leiden 2011 with the Cock de Corter storry, initiator (a team member from Hiarcs) was a black day for computer chess. So many other things around Leiden are bad too.

The second open letter was a catastrophe.

Best
Frank[/code]
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanO

Post by IanO »

This is more than just a retirement, this is a full repudiation. Ed Schröder is also returning his Shannon trophy for the 1992 World Championship, the historic first victory of a microprocessor in this event.

Quite a vote of no-confidence in the ICGA leadership. If David Levy were to be ousted, who would be likely to take his place?
melajara

Post by melajara »

JuLieN wrote:"In everything, excess is a vice." (Seneca)

"Les excès de passion sont toujours regrettables c’est le contraire de l’intelligence" (Excess of passion are always regrettable, they are the opposite of intelligence." (Michel Audiard)
:(
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

mclane wrote:this is very bad news.
Yes - a sad day for computer chess.
Particularly disappointing for me though are the further "attacks" on his person by some who should know better.
Some prominent members of our community on both sides of the argument are really showing that they have a pretty ugly side. :(
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

wow! He's a good man, he backs up his words with action. The programmers do have the power. The ICGA is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one I believe.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Kingghidorah wrote:

wow! He's a good man, he backs up his words with action. The programmers do have the power. The ICGA is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one I believe.
You really believe that? :roll:

It's sad Ed did this but it won't begin to bring the ICGA down.
The ICGA did their job. I think Ed is an emotional man who has reacted out of feelings not reason.
Terry McCracken