Any opinion about this book?: "All the Right Moves"

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Any opinion about this book?: "All the Right Moves&

Post by bob »

pocopito wrote:Thanks for the answers.

Luckily "All the right moves" was available in a public library close to my place and could take it a look. As said in former comments, it's quite focused on the hardware aspect of chess programming related to the moves generation. It also talks about the general concepts of chess programming (evaluation, move ordering, etc) but in a way a bit too simplistic to me.

Somehow I've found some books by David Levy:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/How-Com ... 4871878012
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Compute ... 4871878043

The first can fit to what I'm looking for (I'll try to find a review somewhere), while the chess compendium seems to be a bit too much for me.

Needless to say that comments about these or other books or authors are welcome.

Regards

E Diaz
"Chess Skill in Man and Machine", edited by Peter Frey, is a classic.

Also Jonathan Schaeffer wrote a book whose title escapes me, but it had a chapter on Cray Blitz, one on Hitech, etc... Several of us contributed chapters as requested.
uaf
Full name: Ubaldo Andrea Farina

Post by uaf »

bob wrote:"Chess Skill in Man and Machine", edited by Peter Frey, is a classic.

Also Jonathan Schaeffer wrote a book whose title escapes me, but it had a chapter on Cray Blitz, one on Hitech, etc... Several of us contributed chapters as requested.
"Computer, Chess and Cognition" perhaps? Nowadays it's rather rare and pricey but it should be quite interesting.

I also suggest Frey's book, in particular the 2nd edition because the author added a chapter on Belle IIRC.
uaf

Post by uaf »

Here you will find a list of computer chess books, made by Tom Likens: http://webpages.charter.net/tlikens/booklist.html
bob

Post by bob »

uaf wrote:

"Computer, Chess and Cognition" perhaps? Nowadays it's rather rare and pricey but it should be quite interesting.

I also suggest Frey's book, in particular the 2nd edition because the author added a chapter on Belle IIRC.
I think that is it. The interesting part about Schaeffer's book is that it is more current. I don't recall exactly, but I remember working on the chapter I wrote in the late 80's or maybe 90-91...
uaf

Post by uaf »

bob wrote:
uaf wrote:

I think that is it. The interesting part about Schaeffer's book is that it is more current. I don't recall exactly, but I remember working on the chapter I wrote in the late 80's or maybe 90-91...
Yes, it contains the contributions presented at the 1989 WCCC.
Here's the table of contents: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... +Cognition