Tell me about Critter 1.4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

notyetagm

Tell me about Critter 1.4

Post by notyetagm »

One of the other threads is a ratings analysis which seems to indicate that Critter 1.4 is nearly as strong as Houdini 2.0.

Could someone please describe the playing style of Criter compared to Houdini? Are they similar? Or are they completely different?

Thanks
MM

Re: Tell me about Critter 1.4

Post by MM »

notyetagm wrote:One of the other threads is a ratings analysis which seems to indicate that Critter 1.4 is nearly as strong as Houdini 2.0.

Could someone please describe the playing style of Criter compared to Houdini? Are they similar? Or are they completely different?

Thanks
Hi, i can give you my opinion. I can speak for rapid games.

Critter has more fantasy in playing, it is also very good to build a center of pawns, to manoeuvre to attack the opponent king, it likes to concentrate its pieces against the opponent king, pretty good in defence. Very good at tactics.

Houdini has more problems with the pawn structures, it prefers to give more space to its pieces, it defends extremely well when it is down of material and when it has space to attack it almost always wins. It often sacrifices the queen for rook and minor piece (eg knight or bishop) and often he gets advantage. Excellent at tactics.

I believe that they are more or less at the same strenght.

Regards
MM
Master Om

Post by Master Om »

MM wrote:
notyetagm wrote:One of the other threads is a ratings analysis which seems to indicate that Critter 1.4 is nearly as strong as Houdini 2.0.

Thanks

Critter has more fantasy in playing, it is also very good to build a center of pawns, to manoeuvre to attack the opponent king, it likes to concentrate its pieces against the opponent king, pretty good in defence. Very good at tactics.

Houdini has more problems with the pawn structures, it prefers to give more space to its pieces, it defends extremely well when it is down of material and when it has space to attack it almost always wins. It often sacrifices the queen for rook and minor piece (eg knight or bishop) and often he gets advantage. Excellent at tactics.

Regards
Great Analysis Maurizo.
Always Expect the Unexpected
MM

Post by MM »

Master Om wrote:
MM wrote:

Thanks

Regards
Great Analysis Maurizo.
Thank you :-)

I just finished a 100 games match,chess960 Critter 1.4 SSE - Houdini 2.0c, 3'+1s and i watched most of the games. Very interesting.

Best Regards
MM
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

MM wrote:
Master Om wrote:
MM wrote:

Thanks

Regards
Great Analysis Maurizo.

I just finished a 100 games match,chess960 Critter 1.4 SSE - Houdini 2.0c, 3'+1s and i watched most of the games. Very interesting.

Well, what was the score????
Best Regards
MM

Post by MM »

notyetagm wrote:
MM wrote:
Master Om wrote:
MM wrote:

Thanks

Regards
Great Analysis Maurizo.

Well, what was the score????
Best Regards
Hi,

utente-PC, Blitz 3m+1s Fritz 13 GUI, ponder on, 1 core.

1 Critter 1.4 64-bit SSE4_RV +3 +28/=45/-27 50.50% 50.5/100
2 Houdini 2.0c Pro x64 -3 +27/=45/-28 49.50% 49.5/100

That was a chess960 match.

Very hard for both.

Best Regards
MM