The Raspberry Pi Thread

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Re: In production

Post by sje »

ZirconiumX wrote:Just a none chess related thought, but Arch Linux does not officially support ARM. So technically someone could cross out Arch Linux.
From the Raspberry Pi FAQ:
What Linux distros will be supported at launch?
Debian, Fedora and ArchLinux will be supported from the start. We hope to see support from other distros later. We will be selling SD cards with the distros preloaded. (Sept 4 2011 – originally, this FAQ suggested that Ubuntu would be supported. Because of issues with newer releases of Ubuntu and the ARM processor we are using, Ubuntu can’t commit to support Raspberry Pi at the moment.)
Don

Re: The wiki article

Post by Don »

sje wrote:Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

I'm sad to see that no real time clock chip is included. Apparently, a networked Raspberry Pi will have to query a time server as part of the boot sequence soon after a network interface is established. The alternative is to either manually set the date and time or run like it's January 1st, 1970.

Ubuntu is not included in the default set of supported operating systems. This is not too surprising as Ubuntu has gained a lot of bloat over the past few years.
I have been disappointed in recent Ubuntu versions. Maybe it's Linux itself but it's moving too far away from it's roots in my opinion. A lean and mean operating system for experts is what it has been, but their vision seems to be to become the OS that even idiots can use. We already have Windows that even Grandma can check her email and browse the web and socially network.

Am I alone in feeling like this?

Suggestions for a different distribution for me to try? I'm not looking to be a linux guru or make problems for myself, but I just want the OS to get out of the way and stop trying to be the killer application.
sje

Post by sje »

Don wrote:I have been disappointed in recent Ubuntu versions. Maybe it's Linux itself but it's moving too far away from it's roots in my opinion. A lean and mean operating system for experts is what it has been, but their vision seems to be to become the OS that even idiots can use.
The Raspberry Pi forums have seen much discussion regarding Linux distributions. I'm sure that there will be several customized versions available for both the 128 MB and the 256 MB models. Also, there is continuing work on a desktop application that allows a user to pick and choose from Linux feature set to create an SD card image.

For my CookieCat chess program, I've designed it so that it can run with small or even non-existent transposition tables. It should be possible to have two separate instances of the program running well and at the same time on the 128 MB Raspberry Pi without any page faults.
towforce

Post by towforce »

sje wrote:After using a capacitive touchscreen, you'll never want to return to using a resistive/stylus screen
I've read some very good reviews about some resistive screens (for example, some people have been VERY impressed with the Flytouch resistive screen input, apparently only needing the lightest of touches). Obviously if you wish to download a music-making application, you'll probably want multi-touch - in which case, either a resistive touchscreen or a mouse are going to be a major drawback.

Edit: I've just read a couple of Flytouch 3 reviews, and apparently you do have to press harder than you would on a capacitative screen (but is said to be better than other resistive touchscreens).
Don wrote:I have been disappointed in recent Ubuntu versions. Maybe it's Linux itself but it's moving too far away from it's roots in my opinion. A lean and mean operating system for experts is what it has been, but their vision seems to be to become the OS that even idiots can use. We already have Windows that even Grandma can check her email and browse the web and socially network.
I couldn't disagree more. Of course there should be user-friendly open-source operating systems!!!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Ron Murawski

Post by Ron Murawski »

Don wrote:
I have been disappointed in recent Ubuntu versions. Maybe it's Linux itself but it's moving too far away from it's roots in my opinion. A lean and mean operating system for experts is what it has been, but their vision seems to be to become the OS that even idiots can use. We already have Windows that even Grandma can check her email and browse the web and socially network.

Suggestions for a different distribution for me to try? I'm not looking to be a linux guru or make problems for myself, but I just want the OS to get out of the way and stop trying to be the killer application.
It's not the OS, it's the Window Manager. You need to find a Window Manager you can live with. Personally I like XFCE. It reminds me of WinXP, so I configure my desktop to resemble the old WinXP look. Beyond that you need to decide on a package manager. Choose apt-get (Debian/Ubuntu,etc), rpm (Fedora), or something more esoteric. Once you have decided on these two items, then take a look at
DistroWatch http://distrowatch.com/
and find a Linux distro that might suit your purpose. Try burning some LiveCDs of these Linuxes (or boot them from a memory stick) and audition them.

I have tried several distros and I eventually settled on Xubuntu. My second choice was Puppy, which has an amazingly fast in-memory kernel. Puppy also has a very good package manager and is available in a multiple of 'flavors'.
wgarvin

Re: New chess computer US$25/UK£15

Post by wgarvin »

It has ARMv6 instruction set, which includes a Count Leading Zeros instruction (like PowerPC I guess... its similar to BSF on x86).

It also has a REV instruction for byteswapping (similar to BSWAP on x86).
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Steven,

I have read that - and can counter-quote it:

From the Arch Linux Wiki:
Q) Why would I not want to use Arch?
A)
  • after reading The Arch Way, you disagree with the philosophy.
  • you do not have the ability/time/desire for a 'do-it-yourself' GNU/Linux distribution.
  • you require support for an architecture other than x86_64 or i686.
  • you take a strong stand on using a distribution which only provides free software as defined by GNU.
  • you believe an operating system should configure itself, run out of the box, and include a complete default set of software and desktop environment on the installation media.
  • you do not want a bleeding edge, rolling release GNU/Linux distribution.
  • you are happy with your current OS.
  • you want an OS that targets a different userbase.
ARM is not x86_64 or i686 - so Arch Linux is out of the question.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Arch Linux can indeed run on ARM, see: http://archlinuxarm.org/
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

Don wrote:
sje wrote:Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

I'm sad to see that no real time clock chip is included. Apparently, a networked Raspberry Pi will have to query a time server as part of the boot sequence soon after a network interface is established. The alternative is to either manually set the date and time or run like it's January 1st, 1970.

Ubuntu is not included in the default set of supported operating systems. This is not too surprising as Ubuntu has gained a lot of bloat over the past few years.

Distro advice? I'm no linux guru, but have been a debian fan for a long time. It can be lean and mean or a full bells 'n' whistles desktop. I like the package manager in it.
sje

My new avatar

Post by sje »

My new avatar is copy of the semi-official animated PNG of the Raspberry Pi project. I keep it in my Dropbox public folder where I also store some chess stuff from time to time.

There's still no news of any US distributor for the Raspberry Pi computers. I fear that there will be a considerable mark-up on the price to cover shipping costs and any import/export tariffs. Because of tax issues in the UK, the boards are being assembled in China instead and might be drop-shipped from there. Hey, when you want to buy 64 of these computers, just a few more dollars per board starts to add up.