Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MM

Android

Post by MM »

Hi all,

not sure it is the right forum, but can someone tell me please which is the best software (including the GUI) for Android Gingerbread? I see many engines have the android version but i don't think they can work without a GUI. Sorry, i'm very unexperienced about smartphones.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards
MM
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Android

Post by lucasart »

MM wrote:Hi all,

not sure it is the right forum, but can someone tell me please which is the best software (including the GUI) for Android Gingerbread? I see many engines have the android version but i don't think they can work without a GUI. Sorry, i'm very unexperienced about smartphones.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards
Chess for Android by Aart Bik
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

lucasart wrote:Chess for Android by Aart Bik
Thanks Lucas!

Chess for Android started as a simple Android pioneering project, but over time I added several features, such as board colors and piece sets, full game navigation, FEN/PGN save and load on internal memory/external SD card/clipboard, import of UCI and Win/XBoard engines together with infinite analysis, pondering (permanent brain), and engine setup for hash sizes, multithreading, and endgame tablebases (with Nalimov, Gaviota, Scorpio, and/or Robbobases on SD card). The GUI also supports tournaments between imported engines, either using the built-in book, or any external test opening suite in PGN format (e.g. the Nunn suite, or Albert Silver's Silver Opening Suite).

Some hopefully useful links:
MM

Post by MM »

Thanks a lot to all.

Best Regards
MM
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

If you want to play online at FICS or ICC then Mobialia Chess is the best that I have found.The pre-move feature is great and means that you can blitz out won endgames( e.g Queen ahead but only 5 seconds to deliver mate) with out your opponent just playing on.Before pre-move I would sometimes lose games like that because each move took a second or 2 to complete.
MM

Post by MM »

Cubeman wrote:If you want to play online at FICS or ICC then Mobialia Chess is the best that I have found.The pre-move feature is great and means that you can blitz out won endgames( e.g Queen ahead but only 5 seconds to deliver mate) with out your opponent just playing on.Before pre-move I would sometimes lose games like that because each move took a second or 2 to complete.
Thank you.

Best regards
MM
MM

Post by MM »

abik wrote:
lucasart wrote:Chess for Android by Aart Bik
Thanks Lucas!

Chess for Android started as a simple Android pioneering project, but over time I added several features, such as board colors and piece sets, full game navigation, FEN/PGN save and load on internal memory/external SD card/clipboard, import of UCI and Win/XBoard engines together with infinite analysis, pondering (permanent brain), and engine setup for hash sizes, multithreading, and endgame tablebases (with Nalimov, Gaviota, Scorpio, and/or Robbobases on SD card). The GUI also supports tournaments between imported engines, either using the built-in book, or any external test opening suite in PGN format (e.g. the Nunn suite, or Albert Silver's Silver Opening Suite).

Some hopefully useful links:
Hi, have you an idea why the direct download of Critter 1.2 for android into the device (Samsung Galaxy S2) fails?

Thanks

Best Regards
MM
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

The download link of Komodo 3 for Android is not working, Samsung GS2
MM

Post by MM »

Zagalo wrote:The download link of Komodo 3 for Android is not working, Samsung GS2
Yes, it doesnt work to me also.

Regards
MM
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

MM wrote:
Zagalo wrote:The download link of Komodo 3 for Android is not working, Samsung GS2
Yes, it doesnt work to me also.

Regards

Strange. I am able to download komodo3-ab. Can you be a little more specific than "not working"? If you download directly on the phone, don't press the link, but long-press it, and than chose "Save Link" (you may have to remove the added .txt extension).