General computer questions part2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

General computer questions part2

Post by h1a8 »

Is 7200rpm hard drive a lot better than a 5400rpm hard drive for chess, or is it negligible? What about for computer use in general, is it a lot better?

Also, is usb 3.0 used with normal flash drive (or external hard drive) a lot better than usb 2.0 or the internal hard drive for endgame tablebases?

Thanks!
javimm

Re: General computer questions part2

Post by javimm »

I know it's critical when dealing with heavy audio/video editing, where you need constant access to data in the hard drive. I suppose it's not as crucial in computer chess, because chess engines aren't as hard drive intensive as audio or video editing.

On the other hand, having a faster hard disk will improve TB search speed if that matters that much.

EDITED TO ADD: I myself use a 7200 HD, just because I do audio editing and because the computer runs better in general. I don't think you're going to save that much buying the slower drive.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

For general chess analysis your hard drive choice won't make any difference, except for tablebases.

An SSD is much faster than either a 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM disk in this case - access time is crucial in this regard and nothing beats SSD in this respect.

But tablebases don't make that much difference in general...spend the money on the processor.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Is the access time of a 7200rpm significantly faster (for tablebases) than the access time of the 5400rpm hard drive or is it just negligibly faster?
Does the 7200 scale on access times exactly (33% faster since 7200 is 33% more than 5400)?

Can anyone tell me about usb 3.0 with tablebases on flash drive vs. usb 2.0 with tablebases on flash drive.

The reason for these questions is because I'm about to buy a laptop computer with a sandy bridge i7 processor. I have a choice between two computers. Both computers have the same i7 processor but the far more expensive computer has a 7200rpm hard drive and usb 3.0 and the much cheaper computer has a 5400rmp hard drive and only usb 2.0. I plan to use the laptops for running some chess matches every now and then and for general use.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't think you want to use a flash drive (over USB) for tablebases.

--Jon
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Werewolf wrote:For general chess analysis your hard drive choice won't make any difference, except for tablebases.

An SSD is much faster than either a 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM disk in this case - access time is crucial in this regard and nothing beats SSD in this respect.

But tablebases don't make that much difference in general...spend the money on the processor.
Fully agreed 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

jdart wrote:I don't think you want to use a flash drive (over USB) for tablebases.

--Jon
I thought they were faster. Someone a long time ago posted the access time benchmarks vs. hard drive and the flash drives had faster access times.

I can store the entire 5 men on an 8gb flash drive so it's no problem.

With that said, can you explain what you mean?
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Werewolf wrote:For general chess analysis your hard drive choice won't make any difference, except for tablebases.

Fully agreed 8-)
The processor isn't the issue.

The reason for these questions is because I'm about to buy a laptop computer with a sandy bridge i7 processor. I have a choice between two computers. Both computers have the same i7 processor but the far more expensive computer has a 7200rpm hard drive and usb 3.0 and the much cheaper computer has a 5400rmp hard drive and only usb 2.0. I plan to use the laptops for running some chess matches every now and then and for general use.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Well if you MUST buy a laptop for chess (the thought makes me shudder) then go for the 7200 RPM drive.

You will see a slight performance edge for chess (we're talking a couple elo here) and more importantly it'll boot up quicker and load programs faster.

I've used both - I'd definitely go for the 7200 drive - but don't do it because you think your machine will play much better chess.

EDIT - the 5400 drive will give you better battery life though
bob

Post by bob »

h1a8 wrote:Is 7200rpm hard drive a lot better than a 5400rpm hard drive for chess, or is it negligible? What about for computer use in general, is it a lot better?

Also, is usb 3.0 used with normal flash drive (or external hard drive) a lot better than usb 2.0 or the internal hard drive for endgame tablebases?

Thanks!
Faster rotational speed decreases latency. Important if you use EGTBs. Otherwise, completely irrelevant.