Someone worked hard, someone else not.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MM

Someone worked hard, someone else not.

Post by MM »

Hi all,

when you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards
MM
Zlaire

Re: Someone worked hard, someone else not.

Post by Zlaire »

Oh, I know this game, let me try too!

Someone worked hard, spending tens of thousands of hours creating an engine. He spent a few dozen of them resolving a specific bug somewhere deep in the transposition table which made the engine fail in certain positions. This someone also solved hundreds of issues with the move generation returning illegal moves. He resolved countless memory leaks, and issues with the UCI/xboard protocol. When finally having a pretty much bug free engine he started improving the search, spending hours and hours reading computer chess theory while trying to understand one of the two hundred concepts he wanted to implement. And so on.

Someone else not, he just took an engine, had two good ideas. Implemented them and took the credit.

Who's more deserving here?
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

You've gotta be kidding!
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Zlaire wrote:Oh, I know this game, let me try too!

Someone worked hard, spending tens of thousands of hours creating an engine. He spent a few dozen of them resolving a specific bug somewhere deep in the transposition table which made the engine fail in certain positions. This someone also solved hundreds of issues with the move generation returning illegal moves. He resolved countless memory leaks, and issues with the UCI/xboard protocol. When finally having a pretty much bug free engine he started improving the search, spending hours and hours reading computer chess theory while trying to understand one of the two hundred concepts he wanted to implement. And so on.

Someone else not, he just took an engine, had two good ideas. Implemented them and took the credit.

Very well said! +10
Terry McCracken
MM

Post by MM »

Terry McCracken wrote:

Very well said! +10
Hi,

i state we have different point of view, anyway nothing in chess programming starts from nothing, the goal of Mr Houdart is to have given a plus strenght that nobody is able to reach. Don'you want an engine that plays as close to perfection as possible? Houdini is (for now) it.

Regards
MM
Michel

Post by Michel »

Don'you want an engine that plays as close to perfection as possible? Houdini is (for now) it.
The thread you started was about who worked hardest. Now you seem to be changing the subject....
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

MM wrote:Hi all,

when you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards
Hi all,

When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! See all the formatting changes I put into this. ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by AdminX on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

MM wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Very well said! +10
Hi,

i state we have different point of view, anyway nothing in chess programming starts from nothing, the goal of Mr Houdart is to have given a plus strenght that nobody is able to reach. Don'you want an engine that plays as close to perfection as possible? Houdini is (for now) it.

Regards
Mr. Houdart is a flim-flam man. All he did is tune other's software with little effort on his part. Is this what you want?
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

AdminX wrote:
MM wrote:Hi all,

Regards
Hi all,

When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Terry McCracken
MM

Post by MM »

Terry McCracken wrote:
MM wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Very well said! +10
Hi,

Regards
Mr. Houdart is a flim-flam man. All he did is tune other's software with little effort on his part. Is this what you want?
Hi,

as i said some times ago, honestly i can't appreciate if someone copies an engine and add something to gain some elo. But honestly i don't know if someone has any proves that he has done it, i just know its engine is by far the stronger and these things were already said about Rybka and other engines.
I am not a Houdini fan boy but i think logically there are 2 possibility:

1. Houdini is a clone (then there should be a rule that disqualifies it)
2. Houdini is not a clone and it's legally at the top.

Which one please?

Regards
MM