Someone worked hard, someone else not.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

John Major

Re: Someone worked hard, someone else not.

Post by John Major »

Zlaire wrote:Oh, I know this game, let me try too!

Someone worked hard, spending tens of thousands of hours creating an engine. He spent a few dozen of them resolving a specific bug somewhere deep in the transposition table which made the engine fail in certain positions. This someone also solved hundreds of issues with the move generation returning illegal moves. He resolved countless memory leaks, and issues with the UCI/xboard protocol. When finally having a pretty much bug free engine he started improving the search, spending hours and hours reading computer chess theory while trying to understand one of the two hundred concepts he wanted to implement. And so on.

Someone else not, he just took an engine, had two good ideas. Implemented them and took the credit.

Who's more deserving here?
So you're saying we should all work in a coal mine.
MM

Post by MM »

John Major wrote:
Zlaire wrote:Oh, I know this game, let me try too!

Someone worked hard, spending tens of thousands of hours creating an engine. He spent a few dozen of them resolving a specific bug somewhere deep in the transposition table which made the engine fail in certain positions. This someone also solved hundreds of issues with the move generation returning illegal moves. He resolved countless memory leaks, and issues with the UCI/xboard protocol. When finally having a pretty much bug free engine he started improving the search, spending hours and hours reading computer chess theory while trying to understand one of the two hundred concepts he wanted to implement. And so on.

Someone else not, he just took an engine, had two good ideas. Implemented them and took the credit.

Who's more deserving here?
So you're saying we should all work in a coal mine.
I understand i agree your question. Thanks
MM
gerold

Post by gerold »

Terry McCracken wrote:
AdminX wrote:
MM wrote:Hi all,

when you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards
Hi all,

When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
:roll: :wink: :oops: :D :D :D

I claim all the above.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

gerold wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
AdminX wrote:

when you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards
Hi all,

When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdard for its work and the progress of play level.

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :wink: :oops: :D :D :D

I claim all the above.
You can't do that because your violating my license. I don't know which one just yet, but I am sure you are violating one of them. :evil: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by AdminX on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by K I Hyams »

AdminX wrote:

Regards
Hi all,

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! See all the formatting changes I put into this. ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr xoudart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdart for its work and the progress of play level.

Hard Luck!!! I now claim ownership of this masterpiece. I didn't just improve the formatting, I got rid of a bug; I spelled "Houdart" correctly, in the final sentence. The fact that I introduced a different bug in the second sentence is irrelevant. I also missed at least 2 other bugs in the text and that may be a pointer to what is likely to happen next.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

K I Hyams wrote:
AdminX wrote:

Regards
Hi all,

Regards

Note: I made some improvements to the above so it's okay to claim this statement as my own work! See all the formatting changes I put into this. ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee. Mr xoudart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more. Other ''Mighty'' engines are miles away and sell mainly for the brand or for the passion of many chess lovers like me. Honor to Mr Houdart for its work and the progress of play level.

Hard Luck!!! I now claim ownership of this masterpiece. I didn't just improve the formatting, I got rid of a bug; I spelled "Houdart" correctly, in the final sentence. The fact that I introduced a different bug in the second sentence is irrelevant. I also missed at least 2 other bugs in the text and that may be a pointer to what is likely to happen next.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

John Major wrote:So you're saying we should all work in a coal mine.
Not all, of course. But for some on this forum, it sounds like a great idea! :lol:
MM

Post by MM »

hgm wrote:
John Major wrote:So you're saying we should all work in a coal mine.
Not all, of course. But for some on this forum, it sounds like a great idea! :lol:
+1
MM
MM

Post by MM »

Regards
''when you have a brand, usually you don't need to release an extraordinary product for selling, the brand is a guarantee''

Shredder, fritz, Hiarcs, Junior, Rybka ect. Any doubts?

Why arent these engine at the level of Houdini?

Do they sell for their strenght, for the brand, for the features or something else?

''Mr Houdart didnt have any brand and needed to work hard to make an engine 50/60 elo stronger than Rybka 4.1 or even more.''

Rybka 4 or 4.1 dominated chess for a long time (considering Rybka 3 too). Mr Houdart didnt have any brand to allow himself to sell its product, that was, originally, weaker than Rybka 4. So it had to work hard to improve it till becoming the best engine with around 50 elo margin on the 2nd. Which other else programmers could do a similar thing? Many have tried, almost all arrived not even close to Houdini.

if Houdini found a prepared field on which to work, its not its fault. Many other found it. But did they work on that field as good as mr Houdard did?

After all, if all of this is legal, where 's the problem?

Regards
MM
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

MM wrote:Which other else programmers could do a similar thing?
Almost any? I uderstood that Ippolit was quite buggy...
Many have tried, almost all arrived not even close to Houdini.
How do you know that? I don't know about any engine author of reputation having tried it...

Are you a programmer? Your remarks suggest not, and seem incredibly ignorant to anyone that is... :shock: