WCCC 2011

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CThinker

Re: WCCC 2011

Post by CThinker »

IanO wrote:I'm sad not to see more participants in this sporting event. Neither Rondo nor Thinker returned to defend their newly-bestowed titles. And none of the stronger modern engines (Stockfish, Critter, Naum, Spike, Spark, Hannibal) dared to step into the spotlight. (This is the only computer chess tournament that gets press coverage, due to its heritage and name.) In fact, there are no Fruit derivatives in the running this year, how ironic! I would have at least expected locals Diep, The King, Rebel, or Micro-max to round out the entrants this year.

Best of luck to the brave nine who did enter! Are the hardware setups used by the participants going to be published?
They scheduled the event on Thanksgiving week. Of course, nobody from the USA will attend.
rodolfoleoni

Re: Waiting for

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Sylwy wrote:
Rubinus wrote:... World Championship B ...
Nope Ruby !

Very interesting DNA- RNA channel chess engines !

Just for you The Baron and his Junior:

Waiting for the first round !

Have a nice night ! :lol:
SilvianR in a playchess.com antract 8-)
I ran so many, so many tests, 7/24, in the attempt to tune the Baron version which is participating at WCCC, that my skin changed color... That child isn't really Junior... It's me!
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

CThinker wrote: They scheduled the event on Thanksgiving week. Of course, nobody from the USA will attend.
Why does it take a week for this event? Also why hasn't it been held in North America since 1989 here in Edmonton?

I could hold this event in Jasper, Alberta and have the event completed over a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). And that's with giving a half social day on the slopes and shopping in town for those that brought spouses...

Not to mention full internet coverage for people to watch from around the globe with pgn's available after each round. I do it for the CCT events and I know it would be even easier to do as a live attended event.

The ICGA baffles me.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Graham Banks

Re: Waiting for

Post by Graham Banks »

rodolfoleoni wrote:I ran so many, so many tests, 7/24, in the attempt to tune the Baron version which is participating at WCCC, that my skin changed color... That child isn't really Junior... It's me!
Better hope that it's your dad holding you then and not some pervert! :wink: :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Peter Skinner wrote:
CThinker wrote: They scheduled the event on Thanksgiving week. Of course, nobody from the USA will attend.
Why does it take a week for this event? Also why hasn't it been held in North America since 1989 here in Edmonton?

I could hold this event in Jasper, Alberta and have the event completed over a weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). And that's with giving a half social day on the slopes and shopping in town for those that brought spouses...

Not to mention full internet coverage for people to watch from around the globe with pgn's available after each round. I do it for the CCT events and I know it would be even easier to do as a live attended event.

The ICGA baffles me.

Peter
In fact for once the coverage is spot on. All are using DGT boards and DGT are broadcasting the event. I told you all to read the Hiarcs forum :)
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: In fact for once the coverage is spot on. All are using DGT boards and DGT are broadcasting the event. I told you all to read the Hiarcs forum :)
I have read it, but when I go to see the games online, the only one there is The Baron vs Hiarcs and Baron opened with 1. a4?
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

perhaps because the games have not started yet. round 3 starts in 5 minutes
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:Why does it take a week for this event? Also why hasn't it been held in North America since 1989 here in Edmonton?
Since no one over there wants to pay for it?
So why haven't you offered this to ICGA? To have the event here in Tilburg in the Netherlands (third time in the Netherlands in 6 years!) so late in the year is really a last-ditch resort, because no one else wanted to host the event. So the executive organizer has to fall back to its home ground, the University that employs him.

Btw, it is not taking much longer than a weekend now. It is just that the WCSC is immediately afterward that the total event takes more than a week. Note, however that it is not only WCCC. There is an associated conference, and the Computer Olympiad as well. The conference is also only 3 days, though (3 mornings, to be exact, and in the afternoons + evenings the participants can play in the Olympiad.)

I think you should seriously consider this. The tourney won't come your way by telepathy, though. You would have to take action, other than complain afterwards!
Well, pgn's available after each round is of course not good enough, and not of this time anymore. An absolute minimum requirement IMO is to show live games with live kibitzed scores. As I reported in the other thread I did set up a website for such live viewing. But, for lack of planning, none of the participants was prepared to offer input feeds. So the site is idle...
The ICGA baffles me.
I don't think the problem lies with the ICGA. The Go tournament, also organized by ICGA, taking place in the same room on the same days as the WCCC, is actually played through the KSF (?) Go server, so the World can follow the games in every tiny detail. Playing through an ICS would be an alternative for my ChessLive! website. I am in that same room too, and I could have easily set up an ICS for them. (In fact, there is one on the laptop I carry, when I boot it up under Linux.)

But I get the impression it is the participants that resist such innovations. They don't want to connect to an ICS, and they don't want the opponent to see their kibitzed PVs...

I really think we have no one to blame but ourselves here. If the participants would insist on good publicity, all this could work even for today's afternoon session. After all, my Shogi games start only at 14:00...
IanO

Post by IanO »

Is this the first WCCC/WMCCC not to have the strongest chess engines competing?

Perhaps they should revert the name back to simply "Computer Chess Olympiad" in the future. This feels more like a dedicated oldies tournament, what with veterans Pandix (1987), Hiarcs (1989), and Woodpusher (1989) in the lineup.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

IanO wrote:Is this the first WCCC/WMCCC not to have the strongest chess engines competing?

Perhaps they should revert the name back to simply "Computer Chess Olympiad" in the future. This feels more like a dedicated oldies tournament, what with veterans Pandix (1987), Hiarcs (1989), and Woodpusher (1989) in the lineup.
what is your problem ?

hiarcs and pandix are very strong programs.

which programs do you want to see ?

it was always the case that SOME possible participants did not appear in computer chess championships.

where were the many companies in rome in 1987 when it was only
richard lang and cxg company with cyrus 68000 as cxg sphinx.

or novag often did not participate when they had no chance to win at all.

you will find many examples.

so what is your point?

see (commercial group):
http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/WMCCC+1987
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....