Some large Polyglot books available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ZirconiumX

Some large Polyglot books available

Post by ZirconiumX »

Just for a laugh - I took the GNU Chess 5.xx PGN Book and made 3 books out of it.

One is all positions up to move 10 (856 KB uncompressed) , one is all positions up to move 25 (1.6 MB uncompressed), and one is all positions up to move 50 (1.9 MB uncompressed).

I also have a Polyglotified version of the Silver opening suite.

If anyone wants them give me a PM.

Matthew:out
CositasBuenas

Re: Some large Polyglot books available

Post by CositasBuenas »

Hi there,

I made a poyglot book just yesterday, taking all the twic games until this week, stripping all games with less then 20 moves and rating below 2500 elo.

If you want to have it mail me at "michael AT hoeppenstein.net".

regards,
Michael
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Why not just upload them to a file sharing site, like Mediafire or Dropbox?
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

tmokonen wrote:Why not just upload them to a file sharing site, like Mediafire or Dropbox?
Why not become member of the Toga Developers Discussion Board? We could use some new posts there :) Uploading files is easy for members. There is also a forum for Opening Book Discussions there, but it has not been posted to since somewhere in 2008. Kevin Frayer made a book specifically for Toga I believe but I don't think it was ever used by a Toga in tournaments. I think it is still not published though, you can't download it but it was tested by Shaun:
by Shaun Brewer on Tue May 13, 2008 11:50 am

Just 2 quick points...

If you look at the results of Kevin's book - it gives Toga a good 80 elo compared to a solid generic book, and nearly 40 elo over Perfect 13 - which is widely recognised as a decent book - this is a very good achievement....

Book testing continues I have added a new generic book for my own interest, more importantly I am running some slower games CCRL 40/40 equivalent against the books - this should give Kevin some higher quality games to review.

Shaun
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

My only issue with Polyglot is there is no learning function for books.

I have found many times that engines which use Polyglot as the adapter lose the same games over and over again due to lack of learning.

So for the time being, I think I will have to try making my books in Arena or something else to get the advantage of learning for online play.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

OK - here it is "twic2500.bin".

http://www.mediafire.com/?30ov0y1kdx1wodx

Michael
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Peter Skinner wrote:My only issue with Polyglot is there is no learning function for books.

I have found many times that engines which use Polyglot as the adapter lose the same games over and over again due to lack of learning.

So for the time being, I think I will have to try making my books in Arena or something else to get the advantage of learning for online play.

Peter
There is no book learning in the Arena GUI :arrow:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Thank you, Michael. :)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:My only issue with Polyglot is there is no learning function for books.

Peter
But there is in Polyglot, of course. :lol:
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

hgm wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Peter
But there is in Polyglot, of course. :lol:
Michel quote:

Code: Select all

========1.4.67b=================
- Disable "book learning". Polyglot saves learning information but does not use it itself, probably for a reason. I believe the booklearning concept of Polyglot is fundamentally broken. Learning information is engine specific so it should not be saved in the opening book (it might be saved elsewhere). There are other issues as well, such as copyright and the possibility of the proliferation of polluted books. Opening books can be improved with information from games by using the merge command. This is a form of off line learning which is probably much more effective since one has strict control over what kind of information is added to the book.
Guenther