ICGA rule #2 / opening books / Diep-Crafty, Turino 2006

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: ICGA rule #2 / opening books / Diep-Crafty, Turino 2006

Post by Graham Banks »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:You refer the letter to the CSVN?

Since the signees were former participants the number was restricted anyway.

As already mentioned by Don it was fair towards the CSVN to declare the boycott rather than only to don't silently participiate. To make their current direction aware of their decision to don't ban Rybka from their tournaments. Their reasoning was flawed and wrong. They wondered why programmers took 5 years to change their mind, and on the other side did not mention Ed's change of mind within five weeks, using him as primary advocat for their pro Rybka decision.

I guess your mail statistics from all your fans does not reflect a meaningfull measure ;-)
One thing we've not been told is how many other programmers were invited to sign the "Leiden letter", but chose not to. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
jdart

Post by jdart »

I think the main thing to avoid is a wholesale copying of any particular work. And this wouldn't probably produce a really strong book, in any case. Many current opening books, especially the professional ones, contain strong novelties arrived at by computer analysis. So the best books are far from just being copies, but have quite a bit of originality.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:

As already mentioned by Don it was fair towards the CSVN to declare the boycott rather than only to don't silently participiate. To make their current direction aware of their decision to don't ban Rybka from their tournaments. Their reasoning was flawed and wrong. They wondered why programmers took 5 years to change their mind, and on the other side did not mention Ed's change of mind within five weeks, using him as primary advocat for their pro Rybka decision.

I guess your mail statistics from all your fans does not reflect a meaningfull measure ;-)
One thing we've not been told is how many other programmers were invited to sign the "Leiden letter", but chose not to. :wink:
You starting it again are you? You've proven my point in the other thread you started. You know damn well what you're doing and it's not a neutral position you're taking. In fact you're almost as bad as George with the language toned down a few notches. You're trolling Graham, it's that simple!

The best of the best looked at the evidence and all came to the same conclusion. If you have no idea who Ken Thompson is or Tony Marshland et al than look them up instead of defaming their characters!

AFAIC you're a liar and a hypocrite! It's not Keith who's the tosser, that's for certain!
Terry McCracken
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

You starting it again are you? You've proven my point in the other thread you started. You know damn well what you're doing and it's not a neutral position you're taking. In fact you're almost as bad as George with the language toned down a few notches. You're trolling Graham, it's that simple!

The best of the best looked at the evidence and all came to the same conclusion. If you have no idea who Ken Thompson is or Tony Marshland et al than look them up instead of defaming their characters!

AFAIC you're a liar and a hypocrite! It's not Keith who's the tosser, that's for certain!
I believe that it's important that we know the full story behind such matters Terry, that's all. Sometimes we only get presented with half the story.
For example, if it was known that 50+ programmers chose not to "sign" the "Leiden letter", whereas 14 did, it does put a rather more interesting perspective on the issue.
I don't know how many programmers were invited to sign the letter, but it would have been interesting to know.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

I believe that it's important that we know the full story behind such matters Terry, that's all. Sometimes we only get presented with half the story.
For example, if it was known that 50+ programmers chose not to "sign" the "Leiden letter", whereas 14 did, it does put a rather more interesting perspective on the issue.
I don't know how many programmers were invited to sign the letter, but it would have been interesting to know.
Maybe i got it wrong but i was thinking all the programmers were invited to sign.
Terry McCracken

Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

You really are dense. You're spewing nonsense. You're the same mule today as you were in '07 when this began.
Terry McCracken
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Allow me a confession as I feel a little bit guilty here. Before the CSVN published the challenged announcement Cock mailed the text to me for comments. I had a quick look and said it was OK. In retrospect I should have done a better job by giving it more time to think about the consequences.
Terry McCracken

gerold wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Maybe i got it wrong but i was thinking all the programmers were invited to sign.
Yes, Gerold.
Terry McCracken
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote: I believe that it's important that we know the full story behind such matters Terry, that's all. Sometimes we only get presented with half the story.
The letter reads as if only active CSVN participants of the last x years were contacted to sign. Makes sense.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

You really are dense. You're spewing nonsense. You're the same mule today as you were in '07 when this began.
Thanks for your continued insults Terry. Seems like the charter has gone out the window lately.
gbanksnz at gmail.com