Mr. Dailey did you take advantage of Ippolit and Stockfish?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rolf

Re: Mr. Dailey did you take advantage of Ippolit and Stockfi

Post by Rolf »

Peter Skinner wrote:
2. I don't think it is hypocritical for an author to sign an open letter against a program when he/she looked at the same ideas. It is about the way those ideas are implemented.
1. Taking an idea and re-writing it to suit your needs is 100% fine. Legal instance.
2. Taking code and copying it verbatim is illegal and should be discouraged. Illegal instance.

Peter
This is on a side clear but on another absolutely obscure.

I come from the outside. I play chess and play around with the software but I dont test nor program. But I observe people and their elaborations. And I can comment on that. Also if I am not a programmer I am not brain dead. Although some want to let it look like that all non programmers should better shut up.

You have a huge mistake in your description but personally you think you have the ltest most actual and best and highest possible view on the actual conflict but in truth you have almost nothing. In fact for me you sound like a brainwashed sectarian. Here is my view.

The reason why I see all the Vas bashers in the wrong is simple. They hypostate as if it were a question of the like "did someone provenly something wrong". The question is already hypocritical because it depends on the definitions a group has invented.

If it's a group consent (ICGA) that certain requirements should be fulfilled AND (my little add-on) it's proven that all others respected this in the past. except some cheaters who were reveiled, then of course there shouldnt be wasted too much time with a hypocrritical debate as if even those who scapegoated Vas were unhappy deep in their hearts about the loss of their best programmer. Because violation of rules or not, I was told that Vas if he didnt nothing else wrong, that he saved some time and came earlier into the competition than he would have if he had not taken the models from crafty and Fruit. However, even Vas's most brutal enemies admitted that of course Vas were a brilliant programmer simply because he made a World Champion out of two weaker programs. So they agree that not everything is "taken" and that the best was invented by himself.

At the basis we must now evaluate what we want to do in such a exceptional situation. And here I think the ICGA acted in a hurry without long ranged ideas because now we are in a mess that could have avoided.

I think we could agree that the ICGA and Presidend Levy is no Nanny for grown-up programmers. Now if someone has overstepped the rules, and it is someone so brilliant, is it smart to throw him out into the bin?? Is it smart to invent a scenario that he must submit under the papal power of the ICGA or should we choose the Asian way of granting and respecting the "face" even to the strongest deniers?

Shouldnt the decisive people for the best of the community as such act along the necessary but not the total surrender and losing face ideology?

What is if Vas could demonstrate in length that he really is a genius and we all have misunderstood his evidence? Why not giving him as a smart guy the benefit of a doubt. I read that the counter evidence is best outthought and I wont doubt it but is this really the end of the story without any freedom to find some solutions that allows to live on without too much hate feelings? I mean even Bob who was per usual my strongest correspondent admitted that Vas didnt commit a capital crime. So, why shouls we treat Vas with more than necessary? Why not just apply certain reactions but fully without personal feelings of being insulted by the perception on how Vas has not reacted and submissed himself?

Couldnt this be done overnight? So that from this superior elegance a message is spreading everywhere that the ICGA rules should be respected, but if not that nobody in our community wanted to enter into lynch mode and destroy totally the private lives of the depending individuals?

As a psychologists I can well imagine several scenarios where Vas remains completely nice and innocent (subjectively) and that this cannot be allowed as a habit so that some time period should be required for a so called time out but that still the individual as such is respected in his deepest subjective thoughts. Perhaps it's even part of genius if some human beings leave practically our normal rules and are determined and convinced to do the right thing. Do we want to destroy the best genius in our midth? Why should we do that?

his is my message to all of us that we shgould behave like pharisains but more like loving collegues who suffer with someone we cant yet totally normalize? Why should we have such goal at all?

We have all always two sides at least. We are not totally brilliant without faults and even the dumbest observers sometimes have a good idea like me. Why should we avoid to respect this?

So, back to yxou, Peter, I dont want to prove that you are totally wrong but I hope I could elaborate that you perhaps didnt evaluate deep enough the actual conflict always in mind holding the truth that this is NOT about capital crimes.

Since I have such a good example for what I mean, I beg you all to allow me to repeat this. It's not to defamate always the same.

Even the member of the panel secretariat once cheated a bit with his program Hiarcs becasuse he was so wanting that it would win by a draw as I understood it. In the end it even lost! And after Bob had examined the case he judged that this wasnt a huge cheat. But itÄ's also clear that we wouldnt want such a character trait in someone who represented us in an official office. But we still tolerated Harvey.

As an observer I cant directly speak to Mr Levy but you Open Letter Writers or programmers could perhaps process a new stage of humanitarian approach. Why not telling Dr Levy that after all what was said and done it appeared that the loss of Vas is a too big loss and for all that Vas NEVER ever once went into personal unfriendly hate stories. Why not offering him a second chance so that this eviul hate feeling goes away. I for one but I already read it from others, feel also deceived by the commercial guys who certainly want to make some money with us. Why not showing some emotions and against the naked evidence offering a new beginning?

Please coud someone at least tell David Levy that someone has made an attempt to find an exit to the dark moment in time of our beloeved computerchess? Perhaps he will see even better steps that could solve something.

Especially I do beg all sides and interested to realise what a pity it were if the legendary imput from our Dutch friends is in great danger right now? shouldnt we seek solutions back to freindship also for these good-hearted people?

All the best to all readers.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Dave Mitchell wrote:
No one just shows up with the #1 rated program in the World without being established in some form to the Computer Chess Community as a whole. It just doesn't happen.

Peter
You're wrong on this point, Peter. Remember Fabien (Fruit's author)? He was entirely unknown to the chess programming community, before writing his world class program.* Yet Fruit is certainly not a clone.

It's unusual, I agree, but it has happened, and rather recently.

* Fabien was known to another computer game programming community, but the game wasn't chess or checkers.
Add Zappa & Chess Tiger to your list.

It's not that unusual.

Miguel mentioned Ruffian already.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Rolf wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
2. I don't think it is hypocritical for an author to sign an open letter against a program when he/she looked at the same ideas. It is about the way those ideas are implemented.
1. Taking an idea and re-writing it to suit your needs is 100% fine. Legal instance.
2. Taking code and copying it verbatim is illegal and should be discouraged. Illegal instance.

Peter

I come from the outside. I play chess and play around with the software but I dont test nor program. But I observe people and their elaborations. And I can comment on that. Also if I am not a programmer I am not brain dead. Although some want to let it look like that all non programmers should better shut up.

You have a huge mistake in your description but personally you think you have the ltest most actual and best and highest possible view on the actual conflict but in truth you have almost nothing. In fact for me you sound like a brainwashed sectarian. Here is my view.

The reason why I see all the Vas bashers in the wrong is simple. They hypostate as if it were a question of the like "did someone provenly something wrong". The question is already hypocritical because it depends on the definitions a group has invented.

If it's a group consent (ICGA) that certain requirements should be fulfilled AND (my little add-on) it's proven that all others respected this in the past. except some cheaters who were reveiled, then of course there shouldnt be wasted too much time with a hypocrritical debate as if even those who scapegoated Vas were unhappy deep in their hearts about the loss of their best programmer. Because violation of rules or not, I was told that Vas if he didnt nothing else wrong, that he saved some time and came earlier into the competition than he would have if he had not taken the models from crafty and Fruit. However, even Vas's most brutal enemies admitted that of course Vas were a brilliant programmer simply because he made a World Champion out of two weaker programs. So they agree that not everything is "taken" and that the best was invented by himself.

At the basis we must now evaluate what we want to do in such a exceptional situation. And here I think the ICGA acted in a hurry without long ranged ideas because now we are in a mess that could have avoided.

I think we could agree that the ICGA and Presidend Levy is no Nanny for grown-up programmers. Now if someone has overstepped the rules, and it is someone so brilliant, is it smart to throw him out into the bin?? Is it smart to invent a scenario that he must submit under the papal power of the ICGA or should we choose the Asian way of granting and respecting the "face" even to the strongest deniers?

Shouldnt the decisive people for the best of the community as such act along the necessary but not the total surrender and losing face ideology?

What is if Vas could demonstrate in length that he really is a genius and we all have misunderstood his evidence? Why not giving him as a smart guy the benefit of a doubt. I read that the counter evidence is best outthought and I wont doubt it but is this really the end of the story without any freedom to find some solutions that allows to live on without too much hate feelings? I mean even Bob who was per usual my strongest correspondent admitted that Vas didnt commit a capital crime. So, why shouls we treat Vas with more than necessary? Why not just apply certain reactions but fully without personal feelings of being insulted by the perception on how Vas has not reacted and submissed himself?

Couldnt this be done overnight? So that from this superior elegance a message is spreading everywhere that the ICGA rules should be respected, but if not that nobody in our community wanted to enter into lynch mode and destroy totally the private lives of the depending individuals?

As a psychologists I can well imagine several scenarios where Vas remains completely nice and innocent (subjectively) and that this cannot be allowed as a habit so that some time period should be required for a so called time out but that still the individual as such is respected in his deepest subjective thoughts. Perhaps it's even part of genius if some human beings leave practically our normal rules and are determined and convinced to do the right thing. Do we want to destroy the best genius in our midth? Why should we do that?

his is my message to all of us that we shgould behave like pharisains but more like loving collegues who suffer with someone we cant yet totally normalize? Why should we have such goal at all?

We have all always two sides at least. We are not totally brilliant without faults and even the dumbest observers sometimes have a good idea like me. Why should we avoid to respect this?

So, back to yxou, Peter, I dont want to prove that you are totally wrong but I hope I could elaborate that you perhaps didnt evaluate deep enough the actual conflict always in mind holding the truth that this is NOT about capital crimes.

Since I have such a good example for what I mean, I beg you all to allow me to repeat this. It's not to defamate always the same.

Even the member of the panel secretariat once cheated a bit with his program Hiarcs becasuse he was so wanting that it would win by a draw as I understood it. In the end it even lost! And after Bob had examined the case he judged that this wasnt a huge cheat. But itÄ's also clear that we wouldnt want such a character trait in someone who represented us in an official office. But we still tolerated Harvey.

As an observer I cant directly speak to Mr Levy but you Open Letter Writers or programmers could perhaps process a new stage of humanitarian approach. Why not telling Dr Levy that after all what was said and done it appeared that the loss of Vas is a too big loss and for all that Vas NEVER ever once went into personal unfriendly hate stories. Why not offering him a second chance so that this eviul hate feeling goes away. I for one but I already read it from others, feel also deceived by the commercial guys who certainly want to make some money with us. Why not showing some emotions and against the naked evidence offering a new beginning?

Please coud someone at least tell David Levy that someone has made an attempt to find an exit to the dark moment in time of our beloeved computerchess? Perhaps he will see even better steps that could solve something.

Especially I do beg all sides and interested to realise what a pity it were if the legendary imput from our Dutch friends is in great danger right now? shouldnt we seek solutions back to freindship also for these good-hearted people?

What the hell is with all this Snow winter isn't for a couple of months???
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Peter Skinner wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Dave Mitchell wrote:
No one just shows up with the #1 rated program in the World without being established in some form to the Computer Chess Community as a whole. It just doesn't happen.

Peter
You're wrong on this point, Peter. Remember Fabien (Fruit's author)? He was entirely unknown to the chess programming community, before writing his world class program.* Yet Fruit is certainly not a clone.

* Fabien was known to another computer game programming community, but the game wasn't chess or checkers.
And Ruffian.

Miguel
The authors were still known within the computer gaming field. Chess may not have been where they started, but I knew of the authors before their chess programs came to light.

What I'm saying is someone coming out of the blue with no history of computer gaming experience with a 3000+ elo program is not only unlikely, but it hasn't happened.

Per-Ola and Fabien are similar instances, but still known to the gaming community or anyone who followed more than just chess at the Olympiads.

Peter
Also fruit was not an "overnight wonder". There were multiple versions that improved pretty quickly, from 1.0 to 2.3...
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Rolf wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

Peter

Even if being a genius was relevant in this particular case, there is no evidence that Rajlich is one. Rybka 1 was better than Fruit but so was Toga, brought out during the same period by amateur programmer Tomas Gatsch. Compare Rybka 1 to Toga, not to Fruit, in order to evaluate Rajlich’s genius.

Rajlich has given nothing to this community. It seems likely that he sold products which he was not entitled to sell in the way he did and he then provided below par customer service on occasions on which those products were faulty.

Rajlich has damaged 3 groups of people:
1. The ICGA
2. Other programmers
3. The community at large.

1. The ICGA. They are not in a position to forgive him if he refuses to acknowledge them. If he talked to them and agreed to return any prize money and prizes that he obtained by deceit, perhaps progress could be made. Until that happens, it is not clear what they can be expected to do.

2.Other Programmers. They include Fabien, SMK etc. If Rajlich put out an illegal program, tens of thousands of dollars were diverted away from the families of men who were entitled to that money and into Rajlich’s pocket. I understand that Fabien was in the process of coming to a commercial arrangement with a large software retailer and that the retailer lost interest when Rybka 1 was released. In other words Fabien may have lost first his program rights and then his income and if he wants to seek justice, good luck to him.

3. The community at large. Bob must make his own decision about his attitude to a man who abused both his goodwill and his licence. I will make my own decision about the circumstances under which I forgive a man who sold me software under false pretences and you can make your own decision about whether to forgive Rajlich for any damage that you suffered as a consequence of his behaviour. We all faced different problems as a consequence of his behaviour and each of us makes his own decision about how to react.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Laskos wrote: I guess the Saints in your book are not checked with regard to your Mentor lol. I saw people with less saints and mentors around asking some questions about Fritz 11.
If there were questions about Fritz 11 they should have been either been more forth coming with reasons for the questions, or looked for more evidence.

Obviously it came to nothing because I never heard a word of it.

Peter
Do you claim to hear every word around you? I claim that I heard the Schubert's Piano Sonata in B-flat an hour ago. I guess there was a Strelka RE Vas, right? Was there a Fritzka11 RE Morsch Saint? Why? Obviously because the incentive to RE a weak Fritz is weak, therefore no one has a harder evidence. As a circumstantial evidence, I cannot use the similarity tester with the CB proprietary engines. You, nevertheless can probably take a look at CCRL ponder hits of Fritz 10 and 11 (look at stats for more than 1,000 hits). See how nicely from unbiased Fritz 10 it went to Rybkish and Naumish Friz 11, meaning what? _Strelkish_ maybe? I could probably plot a dendrogram on ponder hits, though there are no Strelka and Rybka1 engines in these tables, and the source of several of those Saints is a bit messy to see even _circumstantially_ proven.

Kai

ps Folks saw artistically that before any CCRL stats, when I said that it plays a bit fruitish, one answered - "rybkish"
Last edited by Laskos on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

K I Hyams wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

Peter

Even if being a genius was relevant in this particular case, there is no evidence that Rajlich is one. Rybka 1 was better than Fruit but so was Toga, brought out during the same period by amateur programmer Tomas Gatsch. Compare Rybka 1 to Toga, not to Fruit, in order to evaluate Rajlich’s genius.

Rajlich has given nothing to this community. It seems likely that he sold products which he was not entitled to sell in the way he did and he then provided below par customer service on occasions on which those products were faulty.

Rajlich has damaged 3 groups of people:
1. The ICGA
2. Other programmers
3. The community at large.

1. The ICGA. They are not in a position to forgive him if he refuses to acknowledge them. If he talked to them and agreed to return any prize money and prizes that he obtained by deceit, perhaps progress could be made. Until that happens, it is not clear what they can be expected to do.

2.Other Programmers. They include Fabien, SMK etc. If Rajlich put out an illegal program, tens of thousands of dollars were diverted away from the families of men who were entitled to that money and into Rajlich’s pocket. I understand that Fabien was in the process of coming to a commercial arrangement with a large software retailer and that the retailer lost interest when Rybka 1 was released. In other words Fabien may have lost first his program rights and then his income and if he wants to seek justice, good luck to him.

3. The community at large. Bob must make his own decision about his attitude to a man who abused both his goodwill and his licence. I will make my own decision about the circumstances under which I forgive a man who sold me software under false pretences and you can make your own decision about whether to forgive Rajlich for any damage that you suffered as a consequence of his behaviour. We all faced different problems as a consequence of his behaviour and each of us makes his own decision about how to react.
I disagree with you.

1)Rybka1 beta was only first version of Rybka and later the gap between Rybka and toga of the same time became bigger later.

2)We could not get strelka and Ippolit without Rybka so
practically Vas released code indirectly and claiming that he gave nothing to the community is simply wrong.

Programmers admit that they learned from the code of Ippolit and this code is thanks to rybka.

3)I disagree with you about the community demage
I believe that most buyers of rybka have no complain against Vas.
I bought Rybka1 Rybka2 and Rybka3 and I suffered no demage because of his behaviour.

The question if his program is illegal is not my problem because even if it is illegal(ICGA decision is not enough to decide that it is illegal and it is going to be accepted as illegal only if the court decides that it is illegal)
I did not know that it is illegal so I did nothing illegal by buying it.
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

I'm noting that Mr. Dailey seems to be, in a signal manner, absent from this discussion?! :lol:
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Rebel wrote:
Dave Mitchell wrote:

Peter

Add Zappa & Chess Tiger to your list.

It's not that unusual.

Miguel mentioned Ruffian already.
Hi Ed,

Fruit, Zappa & Chess Tiger didn't come from nowhere, there was always a weaker version and steady improvements. No 3000 Elo jump in just some month. Even Ruffian played earlier on at ICC and wasn't in the beginning exactly as strong as it shows up with it's public versions.
In fact I can't remember any engine that came out initially at the top spot or close to it. There were always several known versions before that were not that strong.

Greets, Thomas
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Laskos wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
Laskos wrote: I guess the Saints in your book are not checked with regard to your Mentor lol. I saw people with less saints and mentors around asking some questions about Fritz 11.
If there were questions about Fritz 11 they should have been either been more forth coming with reasons for the questions, or looked for more evidence.

Obviously it came to nothing because I never heard a word of it.

Peter
Do you claim to hear every word around you? I claim that I heard the Schubert's Piano Sonata in B-flat an hour ago. I guess there was a Strelka RE Vas, right? Was there a Fritzka11 RE Morsch Saint? Why? Obviously because the incentive to RE a weak Fritz is weak, therefore no one has a harder evidence. As a circumstantial evidence, I cannot use the similarity tester with the CB proprietary engines. You, nevertheless can probably take a look at CCRL ponder hits of Fritz 10 and 11 (look at stats for more than 1,000 hits). See how nicely from unbiased Fritz 10 it went to Rybkish and Naumish Friz 11, meaning what? _Strelkish_ maybe? I could probably plot a dendrogram on ponder hits, though there are no Strelka and Rybka1 engines in these tables, and the source of several of those Saints is a bit messy to see even _circumstantially_ proven.

Kai

ps Folks saw artistically that before any CCRL stats, when I said that it plays a bit fruitish, one answered - "rybkish"
Even here, look at this for the most similar pairs out of _many_thousands_pairs_, and take into account that Naum was found similar to Strelka by me and some others on similarity tests.

CCRL 40/40 September 29, 2011

Ponder hit: Most similar pairs (different families only)
# Pair Ponder hit Moves counted
1 Loop 13.6 (Loop 2007) 32-bit – Fruit 2.2.1 75.8 1183
2 Loop 10.32f – Fruit 2.2.1 75.6 1016
3 Onno 1.1.1 32-bit – Loop 13.6 (Loop 2007) 32-bit 73.5 1302
4 Loop M1-T 64-bit 4CPU – Toga II 1.3.1 73.4 1305
5 Loop M1-T 64-bit 2CPU – Toga II 1.3.1 72.6 1529
6 Rybka 2.3.2a 64-bit 2CPU – Naum 3.1 64-bit 2CPU 71.4 1746
7 Cyclone 3.4 – Loop 13.6 (Loop 2007) 32-bit 71.0 1284
8 Toga II 1.4.1SE 4CPU – Onno 1.0 64-bit 70.4 1496
9 Toga II 1.4 beta5c 4CPU – Loop M1-T 64-bit 4CPU 70.0 1354
10 Loop 13.6 (Loop 2007) 64-bit 4CPU – Toga II 1.2.1a 69.9 1904
11 Loop M1-T 64-bit 4CPU – Toga II 1.2.1a 69.7 1577