how far is too far: houdini for sell?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ozziejoe

how far is too far: houdini for sell?

Post by ozziejoe »

I thought there was considerable evidence that houdini was a close derivative of rybka. Now it is for sell? Whatever your view of rybka (legal or derivitive), there is 0 doubt about Houdini being unoriginal. sigh.

If only we could see a return of crafty to number 1, or the program of any honest programmer.

Plagiarism rewarded.

Best
J
geots

Re: how far is too far: houdini for sell?

Post by geots »

ozziejoe wrote:I thought there was considerable evidence that houdini was a close derivative of rybka. Now it is for sell? Whatever your view of rybka (legal or derivitive), there is 0 doubt about Houdini being unoriginal. sigh.

If only we could see a return of crafty to number 1, or the program of any honest programmer.

Plagiarism rewarded.

Best
J

Well you will hate this news then. I am in the process of buying the development of Houdini. I'm actually looking forward to it. Norman and I will be developing it further as a team. We are in the process of trying to recruit a 3rd member for our team. We have had a few short discussions with Chinmay- he will give us an answer shortly- we hope. Hope you will wish us the best.
georgerifkin

Post by georgerifkin »

geots wrote:Well you will hate this news then. I am in the process of buying the development of Houdini. I'm actually looking forward to it. Norman and I will be developing it further as a team. We are in the process of trying to recruit a 3rd member for our team. We have had a few short discussions with Chinmay- he will give us an answer shortly- we hope. Hope you will wish us the best.
are you serious mr speight or is this a joke?
rvida

Post by rvida »

ozziejoe wrote:I thought there was considerable evidence that houdini was a close derivative of rybka.
Actually, there is none. It is derived from Ippolit.
geots

Post by geots »

georgerifkin wrote:
geots wrote:Well you will hate this news then. I am in the process of buying the development of Houdini. I'm actually looking forward to it. Norman and I will be developing it further as a team. We are in the process of trying to recruit a 3rd member for our team. We have had a few short discussions with Chinmay- he will give us an answer shortly- we hope. Hope you will wish us the best.

No George, I'm not serious. I just get so tired of reading the same stuff over and over and over. It just never ends. The tip-off that I wasn't serious would have been when I mentioned recruiting "Chinmay", or whatever name he is using this week.

Best To You,

gts
georgerifkin

Post by georgerifkin »

geots wrote:
georgerifkin wrote:

No George, I'm not serious. I just get so tired of reading the same stuff over and over and over. It just never ends. The tip-off that I wasn't serious would have been when I mentioned recruiting "Chinmay", or whatever name he is using this week.

Best To You,

gts
sorry but I don't know this person, chinmay, so I didn't get your joke
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

ozziejoe wrote:I thought there was considerable evidence that houdini was a close derivative of rybka. Now it is for sell? Whatever your view of rybka (legal or derivitive), there is 0 doubt about Houdini being unoriginal. sigh.

Plagiarism rewarded.

Best
J
I did not buy houdini but I see no problem with buying non original programs.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I can add that if the claim is that Houdini is illegal that is a different claim than the claim that it is not original then I think that there is no proof for the last claim.

I read that Houdini is based on Ippolit and I saw no proof that Ippolit is illegal.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Plagiarism rewarded.

Best
J
Rybka is for sell even after the ICGA ruling. Besides that, no one proved in any legal way that Ipppos are illegal. Besides that, no one proved in any legal way that Houdini is a derivative of anything, or more than that, illegal. In fact, it's easier for Houdart to sue you for your above words, than you can sue him.

If you like Crafty more, then don't buy Houdini and go to the download page of Crafty.

Kai
gerold

Post by gerold »

geots wrote:

Plagiarism rewarded.

Best
J
Plus 10. :-)

Well you will hate this news then. I am in the process of buying the development of Houdini. I'm actually looking forward to it. Norman and I will be developing it further as a team. We are in the process of trying to recruit a 3rd member for our team. We have had a few short discussions with Chinmay- he will give us an answer shortly- we hope. Hope you will wish us the best.
Plus 20. :-)