Logicial "open letter" consequence: SWCR ended!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Logicial "open letter" consequence: SWCR ended!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

under protest I have to closed my SWCR.

I have no fun to see programs from the "Open Letters Programmer" each day any longer on my systems. I am thinking a long time what can I do to create the logicial reaction from my site of view.

In the past I do so many things for my hobby computer chess and can't taken reponsibility to give further information to programs I can't longer support.

I have now a big hole in my list:

With:

1. Junior
2. Shredder
3. Hiarcs
4. Komodo
5. Spike
6. Sjeng
7. Crafty
8. Fruit

I have directly to delete 8 engines and all the predecessor versions. Furthermore, I can't start a live results mode without Shredder GUI, can't used an other GUI which support the networks tournaments options because no other GUI is available which support it.

After my information, a lot of other programmers don't support the open letter, nice to know (I know it).

In this case I have to organice a new rating list with an other GUI. So I have a lot to organize and this need time I don't have so far.

In the next days I will write to this topic a bit on my webpage. Over 2.600 different IPs I had in the last months. Many of my visitors will be sadly about it, but I come back with a new rating list idea (for the moment I think so).

Never I will support "burning witches" in computer chess, never I can support official lies against Cock de Corter, never I can support "Open Letters" vs. one of the best official computer chess events we have. Never, never, never!

Furthermore, the programmers of Shredder, Hiarcs, Junior, Sjeng lost a customer.

So many other nice chess engines are available, no problem for myself to organice a new list. I will have fun with computer chess in the next years without this group of 8 programs. Dir Open Letters programmers, enough interesting chess engines are available, over 500!

THANKS for your interest on SWCR. This was a lot of work for me.

Unfortunalety, my list must be closed after 2 years or I lost my interest.

Best
Frank
Terry McCracken

Re: Logicial "open letter" consequence: SWCR ended

Post by Terry McCracken »

Frank have you lost it? Why do you listen to idiots?
Terry McCracken
Frank Quisinsky

The only good point is:
I can directly delete Rybka and Houdini for many reasons too.

Rybka:
The programmer are not honest to me as customer.

Houdini:
All is from myself was a sentence from him in Open Chess Forum. This can't be right. I can't support that open sources are closed and a commercial engines are produced.

Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs, Shredder by ChessBase
I can't support that companys selling Rybka after all information which are available.

I can't support that programmes like Amir Ban, Mark Uniacke, Stefan Meyer-Kahlen give here programs to ChessBase and singnature such "Open Letters" because ChessBase market Rybka. Totaly inconsistant for me as customers of all of this programs.

I have nothing vs. ChessBase, this company produced nice GUIs and do over years a really good work. But what the programmers do here is INCONSISTANT!

The number of engines I can't support will be higher and higher ... I know. Computer chess today is war in chess fora only. This one I can't support too.

We have enough computer chess "lovers" which like to see nice things on webpages without all this produced confusion by ... PROGRAMMERS!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Terry,

no, I don't lost my interest but have the biggest interest to support the right things. Unfortunately, I must thinking now how I can continue my work. This need time for organizing I don't have these days.

Tomorrow in the evening I will write a text on my webpage about my decision.

Best
Frank

Will not speak from ideots because we all know that the group of programmers I am speaking about it are not ideots. All this porgrammers do a lot for our hobby but all these programmers should better thinking about consequences in they acting. I hope that in the future this group of programmres do more helpfully as such nonsensical things as to signature such open letters.

What Harvey here produced I can't support. And all other programmers should thinking about it on which letter they put here signature. Means that other persons singnature perhaps the open letter for other reasons.

All for one and one for all ... PLEASE, no problem!
All should go with Harvey.

And for Harvey:
In my opinion and after all I read must be the attack vs. Cock de Corter a clear lie.

I will give you an example Harvey:
For some years I produced the Ruffian DVD. At that time Cock de Corter visiting with his wife my girlfriend and myself at home. I would give Cock a copy of Ruffian without copy protection. Cock told me that he have interest on the official DVD version. I gave him 10 for the people in Leiden and himself. With other words, Cock had no interest on the version without copy protection from me as persons I can do that. And now I must read such things from yourself?
Frank Quisinsky

Re: A good example: The programmer of Chiron wrote ...

What I like to support is this one, honest programmers!

The Chiron programmer wrote in CSS forum:
He goes with a good example in front of all the older commercial "Open Letters Programmers".

Code: Select all

I've been taught to be honest and to thank who, or whose work, helped me. Thinking about that, I should have also thanked Tom Kerrigan and Adrien Regimbald, because looking at TSCP and Faile, I understood, when I was a kid, how a chess program works and how it is structured.

The fact that some engine author doesn't write in the readme file or in the website that he looked at other engines' sources doesn't mean he didn't. For example, Don Dailey wrote several times at talkchess that he tried several ideas from Stockfish and Ippolit and that Stockfish ideas worked better for Komodo.
If it might feel you more comfortable about Chiron, I could remove that sentence and replace it with a general "Thanks to every engine author who shared his work"
Could be interesting for the Houdini programmer: "All is from myself"

What the Chiron programmer wrote is the future of computer chess. Programmers should look in open sources by others, should used ideas but never should say: All is from myself! Such things I will support in the future. I think we have to thinking about it that a wheel can't invented 500 times again and again. The fantastic work Fabien and others do should be readable in the textfiles by the programmers.
geots

Post by geots »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi there,

under protest I have to closed my SWCR.

I have no fun to see programs from the "Open Letters Programmer" each day any longer on my systems. I am thinking a long time what can I do to create the logicial reaction from my site of view.

In the past I do so many things for my hobby computer chess and can't taken reponsibility to give further information to programs I can't longer support.

I have now a big hole in my list:

With:

1. Junior
2. Shredder
3. Hiarcs
4. Komodo
5. Spike
6. Sjeng
7. Crafty
8. Fruit

I have directly to delete 8 engines and all the predecessor versions. Furthermore, I can't start a live results mode without Shredder GUI, can't used an other GUI which support the networks tournaments options because no other GUI is available which support it.

After my information, a lot of other programmers don't support the open letter, nice to know (I know it).

In this case I have to organice a new rating list with an other GUI. So I have a lot to organize and this need time I don't have so far.

In the next days I will write to this topic a bit on my webpage. Over 2.600 different IPs I had in the last months. Many of my visitors will be sadly about it, but I come back with a new rating list idea (for the moment I think so).

Never I will support "burning witches" in computer chess, never I can support official lies against Cock de Corter, never I can support "Open Letters" vs. one of the best official computer chess events we have. Never, never, never!

Furthermore, the programmers of Shredder, Hiarcs, Junior, Sjeng lost a customer.

So many other nice chess engines are available, no problem for myself to organice a new list. I will have fun with computer chess in the next years without this group of 8 programs. Dir Open Letters programmers, enough interesting chess engines are available, over 500!

THANKS for your interest on SWCR. This was a lot of work for me.

Unfortunalety, my list must be closed after 2 years or I lost my interest.

Best
Frank

It may be that there has been a time in my short 62.5 years on this earth that I have been prouder of a person- but I cannot come up with it at the moment. You have no idea the admiration and respect I have for you and the stand you have made here. With some it won't be popular, and they may go to great lengths to disparage you. But if it was easy, anyone could do it. What kind of strength does it take to go along with a crowd? None.

You have my respect, and for what it is worth, I don't throw it around to just anyone. It has to be earned, and by God you have for sure earned it.

Best,

george
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:under protest I have to closed my SWCR.
You can thank the Admins for this respond. They refused to delete my account as I asked for.

Now honest programmers like SMK are the bad guys? This community became really sick... You don't like cheaters, and you don't like honest programmers who refuse to play vs. cheaters? Isn't that absurd?

Guys have fun with your clones if you like but don't libel honest and nice people who have done a lot for the community in times before people just optimized an open source engine to make some bucks.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Alex,

of course, Stefan is a honest programmer, others Don and Mark, others too. That isn't my point of view. It seems the signature from different honest programmers are useing for political reasons by a smaler group of other persons. I hope that this group of programmers will be thinking a bit about it. If not, this will be not my problem!

Please bring not all in one pot. I have try with my best english to explain my decision. In German language its more easy for me and I will do that soon.

Have a nice day!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Alex,

and for yourself:
Clone fighters are not the "Good Guys". In the most of cases they produced a damage. They thinking that they do good things and of course "commandably" but with all the discussions again and again the damage is a lot bigger.

Computer chess need sensations but please ... I like more the positive senstations!

Why:
The call isn't good we produce.

Much things should be better disucss by mail. In situations we have more productive!

Best
Frank
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: I have now a big hole in my list:

With:

1. Junior
2. Shredder
3. Hiarcs
4. Komodo
5. Spike
6. Sjeng
7. Crafty
8. Fruit

I have directly to delete 8 engines and all the predecessor versions.
Hi Frank,

While I understand the emotions involved and I can relate with the sentiment, keep in mind the whole Rybka affair is a very complicated matter. The Zach and Watkins documents are very damning and are easy to believe after the 5 year anti Rybka campaign, I know because I fell for it myself.

Although in retrospect I think the REAL problem is that during those 5 years there never was a GOOD opposition such as we are having now (but too late) at Rybka forum. I don't think (although understandable) you should punish the above programmers for the lack of a good opposition.

Of course now that the CSVN is the next victim of the Rybka affair things only became more complicated, I understand that too. Just wanted to share and good luck with your decisions.

Best to you,

Ed