Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

Re: Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Post by Mike S. »

Don wrote:people are basically rewarded for cheating in our society.
How many things did YOU take from Fruit?
Regards, Mike
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I think that part of the letter is clearly wrong.

" Rybka is a without a shred of doubt a direct derivative of Crafty/Fruit and Mr. Rajlich concealed these origins from the Tournament Director."

They never checked Rybka3 or Rybka4 so they can tell something about old Rybka and not about new rybka.

I also read no evidence that Rybka1 beta or later rybka is a direct derivative of Crafty so I think that the Crafty part is misleading and I know that there are people who disagree with the claim that Rybka is a derivative of fruit(I do not claim that it is not but only that it is not something that all the programmers agree about)
Don

Post by Don »

Mike S. wrote:
Don wrote:people are basically rewarded for cheating in our society.
How many things did YOU take from Fruit?
This is not about the sharing of ideas and this has been explained ad nauseam and you are being incredibly obtuse to recycle this yet again.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Does this mean you took many ideas from Fruit? And/or from Strelka?
Regards, Mike
Don

Post by Don »

Uri Blass wrote:I think that part of the letter is clearly wrong.

" Rybka is a without a shred of doubt a direct derivative of Crafty/Fruit and Mr. Rajlich concealed these origins from the Tournament Director."

They never checked Rybka3 or Rybka4 so they can tell something about old Rybka and not about new rybka.
I don't understand why any logical person would consider this an important distinction. If I went to a mechanic to get work done and he charged me for stuff he didn't do, I would never go back to him again, ever.... How many times do you have to be sucker punched before you get smart?

If such a mechanic had some kind of change of heart, he would have to give me powerful evidence that something had changed and it would have to start with a very sincere apology and admitting what he had done and there is good chance that would not be enough. We don't see anything like that here.

I also read no evidence that Rybka1 beta or later rybka is a direct derivative of Crafty so I think that the Crafty part is misleading and I know that there are people who disagree with the claim that Rybka is a derivative of fruit(I do not claim that it is not but only that it is not something that all the programmers agree about)
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Mike S. wrote:Does this mean you took many ideas from Fruit? And/or from Strelka?
Why does it matter as long as it was from open source and not plagerized?

This is incrediblebly puerile.
Terry McCracken
Don

Post by Don »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Mike S. wrote:Does this mean you took many ideas from Fruit? And/or from Strelka?

That's a great word! I had to look that one up. You put my "obtuse" word to shame!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Don wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I think that part of the letter is clearly wrong.

I don't understand why any logical person would consider this an important distinction. If I went to a mechanic to get work done and he charged me for stuff he didn't do, I would never go back to him again, ever.... How many times do you have to be sucker punched before you get smart?

If such a mechanic had some kind of change of heart, he would have to give me powerful evidence that something had changed and it would have to start with a very sincere apology and admitting what he had done and there is good chance that would not be enough. We don't see anything like that here.
It may not be important for the decision not to pariticipate or to be against Vas but I think that it should be important for the content of the letter.

I see a clear difference between the claim
"Rybka is a direct derivative of Crafty/Fruit "
and the claim:
"Rybka was a direct derivative of Crafty(more than 6 years ago) and a direct derivative of Fruit including Rybka2.3.2a)"

Vas is clearly more quilty in the first case.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Terry McCracken wrote:

One can plagiarize Herodotus, can't he?

Kai
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Don wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

That's a great word! I had to look that one up. You put my "obtuse" word to shame!
It is really great. I added it to my 'list of words that I had to lookup'. I'm sorry but 'obtuse' was already on it for a long time. This English thing has gone too far. You guys should really head back to your Dutch origins with this silly dialect experiment of yours.
Last edited by marcelk on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.