Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Post by Sean Evans »

Rebel wrote: I believe Vas is innocent. Why is that bad ?
Yes, if you are ignoring the evidence and basing your decision on emotions!

Cordially,

Sean
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Rebel wrote:
lmader wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Sorry Robert, but these are only a lot of personal attacks towards Ed, as far as I can see. Ed really has nothing to gain with making false statements, he is not in any way involved in the Rybka project and just like you, I would assume, he is only interested in a fair review of the case. The same holds for you. I understand that emotions run high on both sides and I have not read all those threads but I don't recall Ed accusing you of making deliberate lies to obfuscate the issues. Even if he has, I am sure that neither of you really thinks that is how this debate should be held.

Regards, Eelco
I actually don't agree with this. I don't know what motivates Ed, but I see a consistent pattern of saying things that he has to know are false. Accusing Bob of plagiarizing code from Robo, casting aspersions on his programming skill, these are just the obvious examples of someone who is fighting dirty and knows it.

Perhaps what you say is true, that "he is only interested in a fair review of the case", but his behavior is baldly deceitful. He has turned into a pathological liar. I don't know why that is. It's sad.
I believe Vas is innocent.

Why is that bad ?
Some people believe the earth is flat. Why is that bad?
Terry McCracken
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Rebel wrote:
lmader wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Sorry Robert, but these are only a lot of personal attacks towards Ed, as far as I can see. Ed really has nothing to gain with making false statements, he is not in any way involved in the Rybka project and just like you, I would assume, he is only interested in a fair review of the case. The same holds for you. I understand that emotions run high on both sides and I have not read all those threads but I don't recall Ed accusing you of making deliberate lies to obfuscate the issues. Even if he has, I am sure that neither of you really thinks that is how this debate should be held.

Regards, Eelco
I actually don't agree with this. I don't know what motivates Ed, but I see a consistent pattern of saying things that he has to know are false. Accusing Bob of plagiarizing code from Robo, casting aspersions on his programming skill, these are just the obvious examples of someone who is fighting dirty and knows it.

Perhaps what you say is true, that "he is only interested in a fair review of the case", but his behavior is baldly deceitful. He has turned into a pathological liar. I don't know why that is. It's sad.

Why is that bad ?
That is not necessarily bad, in my opinion.

I am compelled to ask you a couple of questions. What charges do you think Vas is innocent of? Do you think that it is possible that Vas "took too much"?
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Rebel wrote:
lmader wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Regards, Eelco

Why is that bad ?
It would be easy for me stay quiet, and say nothing. After all, I could not care less about VR himself. However, as I said before, I see terrible precedents set here (technical, philosophical, and procedural).

I do not know whether VR is innocent or guilty. But, I see that that the evidence is not convincing enough. There was a laborious clever job by ZW and MW, but the whole scenario is compatible with VR incorporating features learned w/o copying code.

All right, that makes me an individual that is against the current. Then so be it. Count me in with the pariahs.

Miguel
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Adam Hair wrote:That is not necessarily bad, in my opinion.

I am compelled to ask you a couple of questions. What charges do you think Vas is innocent of? Do you think that it is possible that Vas "took too much"?
Hi Adam,

I stated my opinions on this controversial issue in the Rybka forum and it's just too much text for a direct answer. Actually after 3 months debating in Rybka forum and studying the documents and assembler output I am pretty much done with the issue.

Instead I am currently working on a web-page that orders all the unburden evidence as a well-arranged read for those that are interested.

After all I think this historic event needs an alternative view.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Rebel wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:That is not necessarily bad, in my opinion.

Hi Adam,

I stated my opinions on this controversial issue in the Rybka forum and it's just too much text for a direct answer. Actually after 3 months debating in Rybka forum and studying the documents and assembler output I am pretty much done with the issue.

Instead I am currently working on a web-page that orders all the unburden evidence as a well-arranged read for those that are interested.

After all I think this historic event needs an alternative view.
Hi Ed,

Seeing as how my interest in this has focused on a discussion of the evidence and not on the verbal combat, I eagerly await your web-page.

Thank you,

Adam
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

michiguel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
lmader wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Regards, Eelco

Why is that bad ?
It would be easy for me stay quiet, and say nothing. After all, I could not care less about VR himself. However, as I said before, I see terrible precedents set here (technical, philosophical, and procedural).

I do not know whether VR is innocent or guilty. But, I see that that the evidence is not convincing enough. There was a laborious clever job by ZW and MW, but the whole scenario is compatible with VR incorporating features learned w/o copying code.

All right, that makes me an individual that is against the current. Then so be it. Count me in with the pariahs.

Miguel
Okay. I must now throw out all of the good thoughts I have of you and consider you with utter contempt.

:lol:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Adam Hair wrote:Hi Ed,

Seeing as how my interest in this has focused on a discussion of the evidence and not on the verbal combat, I eagerly await your web-page.

Thank you,

Adam
Trust me, a web-page is something else as a forum :wink:

Best to you,

Ed
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

lmader wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:

Regards, Eelco

That is my impression as well.

I have a lot of respect for Miguel B. as the author of Gaviota and for his tablebase work. I also used to have a lot of respect for Ed S. as the author of Rebel, but it has suffered somewhat of late. It is hard to respect someone who persistently argues in such a dishonest way.
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

michiguel wrote:It would be easy for me stay quiet, and say nothing. After all, I could not care less about VR himself. However, as I said before, I see terrible precedents set here (technical, philosophical, and procedural).

Miguel
I don't think you're a pariah. You made good arguments about the PST evidence, without stooping to personal attacks or distorting the words of other posters or posting blatantly untrue things just to force others to waste their time responding. You gave your honest opinions, which I can disagree with but still respect.