Do you agree on the commercialization of Komodo ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 81

Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Yes or No only. Please select your most likely answer :)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Do you agree on the commercialization of Komodo ?

Post by hgm »

Agree with who? What nonsense question is this?

Do you agree on the sun?
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

No!

In times today most cann't see what is right and what isn't right. What should support?

Forthrightness by a programmer(s) should be support. I think each programmer can make it one decision to go commercial or not. But this isn't the question / point in all the discussion about the same topics here.

MOST important point is: Forthrightness !!
Nice to see on which level to this point stand the community so far!

Best
Frank
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

hgm wrote:Agree with who? What nonsense question is this?

Do you agree on the sun?
If you think its nonsense its because you dont have the proper sense to sense it :D
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

I agree on the originality of the sun in late September.

Regarding Komodo: Nope. Personally I would donate $50 for an open source Kommodo. Probably I would also buy the iPhone version, but for sure no PC version anymore. Those times are gone.
EroSennin

Post by EroSennin »

Zagalo wrote:
hgm wrote:Agree with who? What nonsense question is this?

Do you agree on the sun?
If you think its nonsense its because you dont have the proper sense to sense it :D
I agree this question is complete bullshit. I do not understand what you want from us. Morally it is of course fine but I would not want to pay for it.
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Ralph Stoesser wrote: Regarding Komodo: Nope. Personally I would donate $50 for an open source Kommodo. Probably I would also buy the iPhone version, but for sure no PC version anymore. Those times are gone.
I would certainly buy Komodo, some of the reasons are:

1. VERY strong engine
2. GREAT style. Plays differently than most engines, more like humans
3. The authors are quiet honest and straightforward
4. A truly original work. We watched it grow up since it was first born !
5. So, the authors must be very smart and creative to take the engine that far

These are the type of authors I surely want to support so they will continue their great job, continuously adding more strength and features to Komodo which I will enjoy even more..
:)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Zagalo wrote:If you think its nonsense its because you dont have the proper sense to sense it :D
I take that as just another way to state I am not stark raving mad...

The question sucks in the extreme. If everyone answers 'no', they all agree on the commercialization of Komodo, right?
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Since these questions themselves are debated, I like to mention that of course that is always the right and independent decision of the copyright holders.

As for Komodo, I very much appreciate the idea to offer an up-to-date singlecore version for free while the mp version is being sold commercially. A free singlecore version is certainly the best advertisement for a mp version, and at the same time a continuing contribution to the scene of computer chess enthusiasts.

To be honest, I am even unsure if that is a wise decision in terms of sales numbers to expect, because I guess that the share of not-so-highend users is much bigger than it may seem if you look at the "hardcore" fans in the computer chess message boards, only.

IMO, requirements for a commercial engine include some kind of endgame tablebases access. Also desirable: Permanent learning (-file) as introduced by Houdini 2 in contrast to 1.5a, too. From my viewpoint, these are two recommendable features to add, to increase the probability of a successful commerical product.

On the negative side, I recall from the early ages of commercial computer chess that conflicts between competitors about anything else than strength and quality, have never contributed to the attractiveness of a program. In other words, Komodo will not benefit from engine origin suspicions against any other engine. That just wastes time and gives bad karma. :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

you understand nothing from all this what is passed and will be come, sorry! Perhaps too many combinations for yourself.

Best
Frank