Do you agree on the commercialization of Houdini ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 78

Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Yes or No only. Please select most likely answer :)
Steve B

Re: Do you agree on the commercialization of Houdini ?

Post by Steve B »

Surpisingly strong "NO" vote as i write
id like to believe there is a moral statement being made here with "NO" in such a strong lead
but im guessing its probably only that no one wants to have to actually pay for it

Sigh Regards
Steve
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Steve B wrote: but im guessing its probably only that no one wants to have to actually pay for it
Another Poll for Komodo will reveal the truth :D

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40353
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Steve,

honest, after all available information about Rybka this engine should not longer offer from commercial companys or dealer.

THAT is tripple-moral!
Thinking about it.

All products from companys which support bad things should be blocked for the future. To support such things isn't the right way!

With other words:
So long Rybka offer by commercial companys I blocked all products by this companys in the future.

This is the logical result from the information today are available for all of us after "our" ICGA gave us more information about it.

We should support "Our" organization, not important how strong it is or not.

The commercial future should be to support the great and forthrightness developments today are available.

After all I think the commercial companys (I am happy that we have it) should give us a good reaction too. Up to this time, the community should show the commercials what is right or what isn't right if the companies have problems to see it.

Best
Frank
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

There could still be some hope left for humanity Frank
Compare this poll to the Komondo poll
there..the members are voting overwhelmingly "YES"
If the trends in the two polls stand up it means folks do care about taking the moral high ground
Heart Warming Regards
Steve
Frank Quisinsky

Steve,

YES!
In case of Houdini if we compare it with Komodo. I hope that our companies which do so many nice things for us should give a good reaction in the near future too.

Thats my personal wish.

And yes, the community isn't so bad Iwrote and thought last week in an other posting here. I am very disappointed about different ways computer chess goes. But we can hope that the very very important community try to set the right indications.

Best for you ...
Have a nice weekend!

Frank
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Steve,

YES!
In case of Houdini if we compare it with Komodo. I hope that our companies which do so many nice things for us should give a good reaction in the near future too.

Thats my personal wish.

And yes, the community isn't so bad Iwrote and thought last week in an other posting here. I am very disappointed about different ways computer chess goes. But we can hope that the very very important community try to set the right indications.

Best for you ...
Have a nice weekend!

Frank
And my best to you Frank
Stay Well Regards
Steve
gerold

Post by gerold »

honest, after all available information about Rybka this engine should not longer offer from commercial companys or dealer.

THAT is tripple-moral!
Thinking about it.

All products from companys which support bad things should be blocked for the future. To support such things isn't the right way!

With other words:
So long Rybka offer by commercial companys I blocked all products by this companys in the future.

This is the logical result from the information today are available for all of us after "our" ICGA gave us more information about it.

The commercial future should be to support the great and forthrightness developments today are available.

After all I think the commercial companys (I am happy that we have it) should give us a good reaction too. Up to this time, the community should show the commercials what is right or what isn't right if the companies have problems to see it.

Best
Frank
+1. Have a nice week-end Frank.

Best,
Gerold.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

THAT is tripple-moral!
Thinking about it.

With other words:

Best
Frank
There is a big difference between what is legal, and what is allowed to participate in ICGA tournaments. I would personally be very bothered by a legal system that ruled if version 2 of an author's code could not be sold (which has not been established at all, or even close, since legal standards are much different than ICGA standards) then all subsequent versions or code bases the author wrote could never be sold again. Luckily, that is not the case, so it is completely legal and appropriate (in my opinion) for Rybka 4 to be commercial regardless of what some small private organization found in their study of whether Rybka2.3.2a should have participated in their tournament.

In my somewhat irrelevant and mostly uninformed opinion, most of the complaints about Rybka (and Houdini probably) are moral, not legal. They are both probably legal, but either now or in the past leverage other works much more than feels right to authors like me. But if its legal, its legal, go ahead and sell it.

Of course, I am perfectly fine with people boycotting whatever seems wrong as well.

-Sam
Frank Quisinsky

Sam,

nice posting by yourself.

I think to use sources by others with given information: "All is from myself" can't be legal.

We had in the past the example Rybka. Situation with Houdini will give us many compares. Means that we can have 100 times the same situation but never many of the humans are able to learn from it.

OK, many of them have fun so say "B" if an other say "A". But such things are easy to find out.

I think the good idea to give sources for free isn't a good idea so long people sitting alone at home with the tremendous medium "internet". We are cultivated only if we are controlled by a system. If not, we are not better as for 10.000 years. Unfortunately, the brain we have can be used to 3-4%. The evaluation give us a bit more on information but unfortunately not enough.

In our life we will read a lot in the future about this war or that war. Always the same: A/B situation without to learn from the chronicle.

Best
Frank

controlled by a system!
That is the main point for so many conflicts.
If we are not controlled by a system we must life in fear. That is the main point most thinking about it only if they are itself in a "fear-situation". So long all is fine humans try to see it with one eye, in the most of cases own interest are more important as simply "self evident".