It's happening again..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Re: It's happening again..

Post by Don »

tomgdrums wrote: I am not naive. You are cynical.

You say aren't casting doubt and then the rest of your post proceeds to do just that.

You seem to have an agenda.
I have no agenda here. I have given thousands to organization I consider worthy and I'm very much in favor of charitable giving. I also have donated my time to rebuilding after Katrina. Even though I did not personally go to Louisiana, I worked locally. Many of my friends did go to New Orleans for rebuilding and mold remediation. I helped in a local shop where cabinets were being built to be shipped to New Orleans and other places.

I also volunteered my home to keep anyone who was misplaced for the short term. Although I was never taken up on that offer, we (my wife and I) were prepared for it.

I don't want to use this as a forum to brag about what I have done or given to charity, but please don't accuse me of not being "charitable" just because I don't advocating giving stupidly to every cause out of emotion.

If I have an agenda it's against stupidity and fraud. People being taken advantage of by hustlers (or by corruption) for there own ends. Really gets me mad. Where I live it was a major local issue that several people were taken advantage of with the Katrina disaster and the Sunami too by going from door to door to solicit donations - and people donated uncritically. Just handed over their money. So yes you might say I'm a little cynical. If someone asks for you money you should be cynical.

Also, I think people should give out of their own heart. I give to causes I want to give to after deliberation and not ones I'm pressured or coerced to give to. I have been pressured by employees to give a small piece of my paycheck in the past to some cause supported by the company and get the dirty look when I say NO. Of course I also get the 3 or 4 calls per week from people asking me to "give" money to the local police or some other organization. I have no idea whatsoever what I would actually be supporting, but I don't have to the time to research every phone call.

I spent 3 months as a teenager working as a phone salesman and the pitch was to "support our firemen." I couldn't stomach it, because they were really supporting the company I was working for and there was almost no connection between firemen and the company I was working for, I was selling ads for a magazine about firemen that had a couple of articles and was packed with ads. It was so bad I would occasionally get calls from Irate customers who actually looked at the magazine and realized they were being ripped off. It took me some time to realize what was going on. It was probably legal, but it was a scam. I speak from experience and I know what I'm talking about.

I think I'm gradually coming to the realization that most people on this forum are just gullible and easily tricked.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote: I am not naive. You are cynical.

You say aren't casting doubt and then the rest of your post proceeds to do just that.

You seem to have an agenda.
I have no agenda here. I have given thousands to organization I consider worthy and I'm very much in favor of charitable giving. I also have donated my time to rebuilding after Katrina. Even though I did not personally go to Louisiana, I worked locally. Many of my friends did go to New Orleans for rebuilding and mold remediation. I helped in a local shop where cabinets were being built to be shipped to New Orleans and other places.

I also volunteered my home to keep anyone who was misplaced for the short term. Although I was never taken up on that offer, we (my wife and I) were prepared for it.

I don't want to use this as a forum to brag about what I have done or given to charity, but please don't accuse me of not being "charitable" just because I don't advocating giving stupidly to every cause out of emotion.

If I have an agenda it's against stupidity and fraud. People being taken advantage of by hustlers (or by corruption) for there own ends. Really gets me mad. Where I live it was a major local issue that several people were taken advantage of with the Katrina disaster and the Sunami too by going from door to door to solicit donations - and people donated uncritically. Just handed over their money. So yes you might say I'm a little cynical. If someone asks for you money you should be cynical.

Also, I think people should give out of their own heart. I give to causes I want to give to after deliberation and not ones I'm pressured or coerced to give to. I have been pressured by employees to give a small piece of my paycheck in the past to some cause supported by the company and get the dirty look when I say NO. Of course I also get the 3 or 4 calls per week from people asking me to "give" money to the local police or some other organization. I have no idea whatsoever what I would actually be supporting, but I don't have to the time to research every phone call.

I spent 3 months as a teenager working as a phone salesman and the pitch was to "support our firemen." I couldn't stomach it, because they were really supporting the company I was working for and there was almost no connection between firemen and the company I was working for, I was selling ads for a magazine about firemen that had a couple of articles and was packed with ads. It was so bad I would occasionally get calls from Irate customers who actually looked at the magazine and realized they were being ripped off. It took me some time to realize what was going on. It was probably legal, but it was a scam. I speak from experience and I know what I'm talking about.

I think I'm gradually coming to the realization that most people on this forum are just gullible and easily tricked.
Don I have noticed you have a fairly thin skin.

And for the record I never said you were uncharitable. I just commented on your rant against charitable organizations.

You are the one who labels people.

I wish you much luck with Komodo, it is a great engine but please do think more before you speak. You throw labels at people way too much without any real knowledge of their motives and/or dealings.
Eduard Nemeth

Post by Eduard Nemeth »

I agree with you Peter!

Eduard
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

mwyoung wrote:I think what you are doing in these post is wrong. you are clearly throwing everything you can at Robert and Houdini. In a effort to smear them.

Do you have a personal and/or financial interest in seeing that Robert Houdart reputation is destroyed?
Of course, Houdini is a dangerous commercial competitor for Komodo and needs to be brought down at all cost.
If that requires smearing Unicef or other non-profit organizations, so be it...
Sad.

Robert
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

Carlos Ylich wrote:There are many questions to be answered. My admiration for Robert decreases
every day.
I will not buy your engine, not seen any improvement to justify. :(
Of course you will not buy you already got the cracked version from another chess forum.
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

tano-urayoan wrote:
Carlos Ylich wrote:There are many questions to be answered. My admiration for Robert decreases
every day.
Of course you will not buy you already got the cracked version from another chess forum.
I see you know about it too! :D . Well, to each his own! :lol:
Don

Post by Don »

Zagalo wrote:
tano-urayoan wrote:
every day.
The cracked version will send out a message to Robert and call the FBI sending them to your door - but not before it infects your computer and wipes your hard drive and your bank accounts.
geots

Post by geots »

Houdini wrote:
mwyoung wrote:I think what you are doing in these post is wrong. you are clearly throwing everything you can at Robert and Houdini. In a effort to smear them.

Do you have a personal and/or financial interest in seeing that Robert Houdart reputation is destroyed?
Of course, Houdini is a dangerous commercial competitor for Komodo and needs to be brought down at all cost.
If that requires smearing Unicef or other non-profit organizations, so be it...
Sad.

Robert

Yes, Robert, it is sad. To even vaguely intimate that you might use hungry children to feather your nest, with absolutely no proof, is beyond pitiful. But that is what this computer chess world is coming to- tearing people down. Casting dispersions on you and the charity itself- what can I say. Everyone knows not all the money ever gets to its target- we don't need Einstein to lecture us on that. So far, he has proven he is an expert on the Russian mind, psychology, accounting, investigative work, law, the best way to deal with con men- and of course programming. Abusy life, would you agree?

gts
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Don wrote:
Zagalo wrote:
tano-urayoan wrote:
every day.
The cracked version will send out a message to Robert and call the FBI sending them to your door - but not before it infects your computer and wipes your hard drive and your bank accounts.
haha, funny. That should scare the illiterates around here
With a simple F/W and HIPS tools you can block ANY program from doing Anything you don't want. You can even test it in a VM..
Not that I have it, Im not interested in yet another IPPO/Rybka variation for now. 100+ elo might change my mind tho
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Albert Silver wrote: Bear in mind, I am addressing your argument, and am not making any pronouncement on Houdini. I think the whole IPPO issue is a very complex one to say the least. One thing is certain, one cannot condemn Rybka but not Houdini or other IPPOs. That would be utter hypocrisy.
Agreed
seems to me all Houdart is doing is following Rajlichs playbook
take a strong engine..tweak it ..
if you hit pay dirt and the tweaking process gets you the strongest engine at that time...then sell it
the only chapter left is the one on "Forum creation"
this is where you create your own forum for the engine
then folks will come...develop a sense of community with the engine as the common interest..
soon they will defend the engine for you because they are really defending their forum
once the forum is up and running Houdart wont even need to reply to the critical posts here anymore..the forum members will do it all for him
life will be much easier then and you can retire to the country of your choice
Rajlich 101 Regards
Steve