Houdini 2 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Re: Houdini 2 is released

Post by S.Taylor »

Houdini wrote:Yes, to sustain the development I've decided to go commercial with Houdini 2.
Yes indeed, why not :lol: :wink: ?

Rather irrelevant, it sounds like!

(everyone was thinking you would never notice the idea :wink: )

good luck anyway!
stevenaaus

Another Linux r.i.p

Post by stevenaaus »

Kudos for the amazing engine. Being such a clear #1 in this competitive field is quite an achievement. And sympathies for that stupid other forum.

But I have to have a nag. I guess i can give up hope for a Linux release :roll: :?: :?

We all know MS-Windows is about making money, and most of us have to do it in some way ;>. But if you appreciate the free Internet (dependant on LAMP - Linux Apache MySQL PHP) and also the free Robbo code which everyone has pilfered and pilloried at the same time, perhaps you can in turn support a real operating system , and release a free Houdini 1.5 Linux binary ?

... And one other issue that no-one seems to have mentioned. Surely Version 2 is erroneous version numbering for a 30 elo increase with no features. Oh - people wouldn't spend money for version 1.6, would they :twisted: . Mis-numbering versions gets on my ticker.

Regards
Houdini

Re: Another Linux r.i.p

Post by Houdini »

stevenaaus wrote:Surely Version 2 is erroneous version numbering for a 30 elo increase with no features.
Persistent Hash, Fischer Random Chess, Learning, Strength Limit, Mate Search, ...
Seriously, no new features?
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Houdini wrote:
stevenaaus wrote:Surely Version 2 is erroneous version numbering for a 30 elo increase with no features.
Persistent Hash, Fischer Random Chess, Learning, Strength Limit, Mate Search, ...
Seriously, no new features?
Ok, pls don't take offence. If this is the case i am wrong. - Strength limit. Nice feature :>
Your initial post was very curt, and linked page merely state
Version history
Houdini 2
Houdini 2 (20110901): Improved analysis capabilities, enhanced search and evaluation.

But ... most other engine authors manage to release a Linux binary or two.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

RegardiNg playing strength the last version i ialready thought was the kind of chess i had been dreaming of from a computer for a long time. So any enhancemeisnis t on that without losing what there already was, certainly the ht stuff for me! Excuse me im saying 25 elo corajosa, is fine. It is very hard to write with android
gerold

Post by gerold »

S.Taylor wrote:RegardiNg playing strength the last version i ialready thought was the kind of chess i had been dreaming of from a computer for a long time. So any enhancemeisnis t on that without losing what there already was, certainly the ht stuff for me! Excuse me im saying 25 elo corajosa, is fine. It is very hard to write with android
+1
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

S.Taylor wrote:RegardiNg playing strength the last version i ialready thought was the kind of chess i had been dreaming of from a computer for a long time. So any enhancemeisnis t on that without losing what there already was, certainly the ht stuff for me! Excuse me im saying 25 elo corajosa, is fine. It is very hard to write with android
Now that i am by a regular computer, i'll rewrite what i was trying to type on my android for about 20 minutes!

Regarding playing strength, the last version, i thought, was already the kind of chess i had been dreaming of from a computer for a LONG time.
So any enhancements and fine tuning over that, (+25-30 elo) without losing what there already WAS, is certainly the right stuff for ME!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

S.Taylor wrote:
Now that i am by a regular computer, i'll rewrite what i was trying to type on my android for about 20 minutes!

Regarding playing strength, the last version, i thought, was already the kind of chess i had been dreaming of from a computer for a LONG time.
So any enhancements and fine tuning over that, (+25-30 elo) without losing what there already WAS, is certainly the right stuff for ME!

LOL :D I don't know why I find that very funny. I guess I have also been very frustrated when I try to type something on my Android phone or Iphone. I especially hate the auto speller, which on several occasions substituted words that I had no plan to put and really embarrassed me.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

zullil wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
zullil wrote:
Houdini wrote:Yes, to sustain the development I've decided to go commercial with Houdini 2.
I wonder if this will lead to legal complications.
It won't, since RobboLito is public domain. Houdart can do whatever he wants with it.

Peter
Several early versions of RobboLito (still available at http://www.chesslogik.com/) that include source code are GPL'ed:
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007
I wonder if the lack of source code for Houdini is a violation.
If I were to clone an engine, I'd start with the version not under the GPL.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the GPL applies in this case. I don't think Norm can slap the GPL on a piece of public domain code, but I'm not a lawyer...

Peter
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

alpha123 wrote:
zullil wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
zullil wrote:
I wonder if this will lead to legal complications.
It won't, since RobboLito is public domain. Houdart can do whatever he wants with it.

Peter
Several early versions of RobboLito (still available at http://www.chesslogik.com/) that include source code are GPL'ed:
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007
I wonder if the lack of source code for Houdini is a violation.
If I were to clone an engine, I'd start with the version not under the GPL.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the GPL applies in this case. I don't think Norm can slap the GPL on a piece of public domain code, but I'm not a lawyer...

Peter

Hehe ... yes! How can you take public domain code, modify it a little and then slap a GPL license to it? I don't think you have to be a lawyer to realize you cannot do that!