Humans Are Getting Better At Chess - Thanks to Computers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Do You Agree With the Conclusion of this Article??

Yes
68%
No
33%

Total votes: 40

Sean Evans

Humans Are Getting Better At Chess - Thanks to Computers?

Post by Sean Evans »

Humans Are Getting Better At Chess - Thanks to Computers

Do you agree with the conclusion of this article?

I don't!

Cordially,

Sean
Terry McCracken

Re: Humans Are Getting Better At Chess - Thanks to Computers

Post by Terry McCracken »

There's truth to the article but the claim that computers may be in trouble over time is dubious. Sure there will be a few that can beat programs, tens years from now, a hundred years from now, but it won't swing widely in favour of the humans in a general sense.

I think the poll you rigged is of little value, much like the last comment of the article.
Terry McCracken
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Terry McCracken wrote:I think the poll you rigged is of little value, much like the last comment of the article.
Indeed. Just what was the conclusion, that computers make people better or that people can compete with computers?
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dirt wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:I think the poll you rigged is of little value, much like the last comment of the article.
Indeed. Just what was the conclusion, that computers make people better or that people can compete with computers?
Exactly, the article stressed the point that computers helped people play better chess. The logical conclusion would be people play better chess today thanks to computers.
Terry McCracken
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

The quote at the end of this article is ridiculous, unless they believe that both hardware and chess software will stop evolving:
It’ll be interesting to check out a game between a Grand Master and the best software in ten years’ time if the trend of stronger play continues. Between more practice playing computers, more games played, and the ability of the Internet to improve the collaborative study at chess, computers may end up having trouble competing with humans.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rbarreira wrote:The quote at the end of this article is ridiculous, unless they believe that both hardware and chess software will stop evolving:
It’ll be interesting to check out a game between a Grand Master and the best software in ten years’ time if the trend of stronger play continues. Between more practice playing computers, more games played, and the ability of the Internet to improve the collaborative study at chess, computers may end up having trouble competing with humans.
Having trouble competing with humans :!: :?:

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
gerold

Post by gerold »

Sean Evans wrote:Humans Are Getting Better At Chess - Thanks to Computers

I don't!

Cordially,

Sean
Very few humans can beat chess engines now. In ten years i don't think any human will be able to beat chess engines.

Best,
Gerold.
Don

Post by Don »

I don't!

Cordially,

Sean
I agree that humans have gotten better and that this is primarily because of online games and strong computers.

I don't agree that this means humans are gradually catching computers - that was a stupid thing in the article.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Don wrote:

I don't!

Cordially,

Sean
I agree that humans have gotten better and that this is primarily because of online games and strong computers.

I don't agree that this means humans are gradually catching computers - that was a stupid thing in the article.
Hello Don,

What it tells me is the author of the article does not have enough knowledge about computer chess to be writing an article about computer chess! :roll:

Cordially,

Sean
Don

Post by Don »

Sean Evans wrote:
Don wrote:

I don't!

Cordially,

Sean

Hello Don,

What it tells me is the author of the article does not have enough knowledge about computer chess to be writing an article about computer chess! :roll:

Cordially,

Sean
There are too many blogs these days, and not enough real experts. But to be honest I don't really trust experts that much on any given subject - sometimes they are biases because they are experts. But in this case I think he really missed the point. In 10 years there will just be more distance between the best computers and best humans and I don't think that is the least bit controversial.

Don