Chessbase 9 and Windows 7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

Chessbase 9 and Windows 7

Post by Ponti »

I`ve just changed the SO of my Q6600 from XP x64 to Windows 7 x64 and... I`m getting an error message each time CB 9 starts, and when I open a .cbh database and click the "players" tab it crashes...

Is CB 9 incompatible with Windows 7 ?

I think CB 11 price is too high to upgrade just because of this... I`m thinking about moving to Chess Assistant or Aquarium if it can`t be fixed, which one is better?

BTW, W7 sucks... but the whole world use it.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Chessbase 9 and Windows 7

Post by hgm »

Well, you know what they say: The day MicroSoft will make a product that does not suck, will be the day they make a vacuum cleaner. :lol:
Jim Logan

Post by Jim Logan »

I had the same problem as CB9 was terrible under Win 7 - you should just move to Chessbase 2009 Premium. It looks and feels just like Chessbase 9, but seems to work much better with Windows 7. I cannot advise about 64 bit as I am still on 32 bit platform. The price is right.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Well, you know what they say: The day MicroSoft will make a product that does not suck, will be the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
I don't understand why you are so negative about Microsoft.
Windows 7 is a very stable system, I'm running it for almost 2 years now (including the very first beta's) and I never experienced a single crash.

The real crap is Chess Assistant and ChessBase.
I have never seen CA or CB working without problems on any system higher then Windows XP 32 bit.

Or take Linux, recently one of my Linux systems was totally corrupted, the reason was that Linux doesn't handle AHCI properly. If you like to use the latest hardware you'd better stay away from it.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

The chessbase site is not selling activation codes for CB9-premium anymore, just CB 11.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931